I picked up my storm today, so far it has been good. No I am not in any way new to blackberry but I am new to this device. I have a bold an a 8900 but I wanted to try it out for myself. So I will be around looking to find out what I can do with this device. Any recommendations are welcome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 03:28 PM
    Load OS 148. If you have 75 on that phone you will be amazed at the difference in performance from 75 to 148.
    05-24-09 03:31 PM
    Load OS 148. If you have 75 on that phone you will be amazed at the difference in performance from 75 to 148.
    wait a little first, so you can see how slow and crappy the .75 OS really is, especially compared to you other BlackBerry phones then upgrade. It will be like an entierly different device
    05-24-09 03:34 PM
    Are you using it on T-Mobile?
    05-24-09 04:20 PM
    I have a storm on tmobile and its great, Deffiently load .148 it will be like night and day compeared to .75, It took me a couple of days to update my OS because i was new to the storm, But when i uploaded to .132 it was a great thing for me to do. then .148 just came out a week ago and its the best thing so far
    05-25-09 04:31 PM
    I run .75 still to this day without any issues.

05-25-09 04:41 PM
    I am using .75 and I really have nothing to complain about. Great device!

05-25-09 05:15 PM
    Yes I am using tmo. .75 is not bad no real issues but I do want to upgrade but I will wait it out. My only issue so far is leaning to type but I am sure that I well get use to it the more I use the phone. Are there any good looking themes that are free. All I have found is paid themes. Any way I am happy so far and will continue to tinker with this to make it easy for me.
    One more question does quicklaunch work on later os builds or no. Thanks again and see you guys around.

05-25-09 05:33 PM
    best thing anyone can do is load up 148. .75 is garbage on the storm. anyone that tells you .75 is good has no idea what they are missing out on.
    05-25-09 05:38 PM
    as far as themes go...

there is a section on the main page if you go down to it click on

"Blackberry Themes"

then

"Storm 95xx"

there are tons of themes there

eCruz makes some really good free ones, but there are a ton of others too and it just depends on what you're looking for
    05-25-09 05:47 PM
    i went from .75 to .113 and now .132 and its great.

the storm is an awesome device- too bad that verizon dropped the ball with OS updates and we have to rely on leaked OS's
    05-25-09 06:07 PM
    Glass is a great theme. Very simple and sleek.

I too have been running .75 without any problems. Not really sure what could be better other than slightly improving the speed with which I go from screen to screen or program to program.
    05-25-09 06:15 PM
    Typing is way improved on .148 than on .75 or any other OS I've tried so far IMO. You'll definitely get better and faster the more you use the Storm but I still recommend upgrading the OS.

I would also be wary of using themes and be careful what apps you load from the start as they are almost always the cause of problems people have with their Storm. Just use it stock for a while to become familiar with the device first before you start 'tricking' it out. I guarantee, once you're familiar with how the device is supposed to work (especially on .148) you'll be very happy and avoid the pitfalls others have fallen into.

05-25-09 07:20 PM
    best thing anyone can do is load up 148. .75 is garbage on the storm. anyone that tells you .75 is good has no idea what they are missing out on.
    .75 is most definitely good, but it just isn't in the same league as .148.
    05-25-09 07:26 PM
    Where is a good link to download 148?
    05-25-09 07:27 PM
    Where is a good link to download 148?
    Here you go:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I0UD9FPH

Read up on it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/leaked-4-7-0-148-9530-a-231483/

Last edited by phillyphreak; 05-25-09 at 08:23 PM.
    05-25-09 08:21 PM
    Thanks for the theme info. I did go ahead and put .148 on my stom and it has been so far. Ther is one issue that I have seen and that is a small lag when typing but it could be user error. One thing that I am loving is when reading emails a quick swap brings up the next/previous email. That is one thing rim should add to the other devices.

All in all the learning curve is not as I thought it would be, I am still learning. Thanks guys for all of your help.

05-25-09 08:53 PM
    If you haven't already done so, you may want to change your Tap Interval and Hover Period to 100 and Swipe Sensitivity to (High) 6 under Screen/Keyboard settings in the Options screen to improve any typing lag you may have. Also there is more typing lag in the browser than there is in typing emails or memopad. Try and you'll see the difference i'm talking about. I'm blazing fast when not typing in the browser.

05-25-09 09:05 PM
    to the people saying .75 is good and they like it ect (I thought the same way when i had .75 but loved it when i 1st upgraded).... upgrade to .148 and u will see the difference.... and then u will see that .75 has alot of problems
    Last edited by blowinendo; 05-25-09 at 09:52 PM.
    05-25-09 09:46 PM
    to the people saying .75 is good and they like it ect (I thought the same way when i had .75 but loved it when i 1st upgraded).... upgrade to .148 and u will see the difference.... and then u will see that .75 has alot of problems
    You will also notice the horrible memory leak and battery drain on .148.

05-25-09 09:57 PM
    to add on to Obsrvr

a few options i would recommend as basic Storm setup:

under options -> Screen/Keyboard

backlight brightness to 20 (saves battery)
    backlight timout to 30 seconds or less (saves battery)

if you are a fast 'finger mover' when typing:

key rate to medium fast
    tap interval to 100
    hover period to 100
    swipe sensitivity to high (6)

those will allow you to type quicker if your fingers move fast
    05-25-09 10:04 PM
    all these are phone options (go into phone and press bb menu key)

1)you can setup your phone to automatically input your voicemail password (on verizon anyways) by going to

voicemail -> type in your password in the field

2)prevent your "message" folder from duplicating "missed calls" that show up in your missed calls folder by going to

call logging -> click none

3)you can update speed dials under the speed dial options
    05-25-09 10:08 PM
    beyond that, browse the forums and enjoy!

it may take awhile before you feel comfortable upgrading the OS, but just read up on the forums and you will find threads making it self-explanatory.

4.7.0.148 is the newest build and is much more what the storm should have been originally, but you can read up and decide if you want to go that route. i would recommend it once you feel comfortable with the process
    05-25-09 10:11 PM
    Congrats on the new phone! I hope you are as happy with it as I am with mine. I did install the battery pull app as well as Pandora. Couldn't be happier...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal
    05-25-09 10:45 PM
    Definitely upgrade. I thought .75 was ok and I was waiting for an official from VZW and got sick of the "just two more weeks" so I took the plunge and haven't looked back

05-25-09 11:05 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD