Hm I just got my new storm in the mail today. They sent everything in the box it's pretty nice looking, I'm charging it up right now then I'll de-activate my old one and activate this one..Still trying to figure out how ot back up the storm's blackberry messenger so I don't loose my contacts though.
    12-18-08 02:47 PM
    yes i get your point, but in case you haven't noticed (wich i think you have), plenty of people had had bad luck with their phones, and only few of thems get to have properly working phones, so i would suggest to keep yours if its working fine. Refurb or not.
    I disagree, Yes the majority of people on this site and other sites are having bad luck. Why? Because people don't come on and and start topics that their phone is working great. If you think that at least half a million of these have been sold, I'd say that vast majority of the phones work fine. It's a very fractional amount of people who frequent forums and post about them.
    12-18-08 02:49 PM
    I do not understand all these stories about Verizon charging for the replacement until they get it back. In my almost 9 years at Verizon, that has never happened to me, and I just had a replacement sent to me today(will see how it is when I get out of work in 20 minutes) and there was no charge for it.
    I don't get it either. You would think they'd hit you with a charge if they don't get the phone back in a set period of time. I'm with Verizon 9 years too and like I said, my account is in the red now for 600 bucks until they straighten everything out.
    12-18-08 02:53 PM
    I don't get it either. You would think they'd hit you with a charge if they don't get the phone back in a set period of time. I'm with Verizon 9 years too and like I said, my account is in the red now for 600 bucks until they straighten everything out.
    That's just crazy. I've always been told that if they dont recieve the phone back in it was either 30-60 days, you would then be charged retail for the device. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.
    12-18-08 02:55 PM
    I have been charged twice also, and I have been told that it takes 2-3 billing cycles to credit my account.
    12-18-08 03:00 PM
    The paper states you have and I quote "To avoid being charged for the replacement device, your defective device must be shipped back to Verizon Wireless within 10 days of receipt of your replacement device. " .......It also states to keep EVERYTHING that came with it and ONLY return the device in bold it states "keep accessories,battery,chargers,memory cards,stylus, sim cards, etc" SOOOO I will NOT be returning the battery(2 batteries for me now) This will be the third time I got a spare battery this way....and now a extra phone charger to leave at the girls house lol
    12-18-08 03:01 PM
    Hm I just got my new storm in the mail today. They sent everything in the box it's pretty nice looking, I'm charging it up right now then I'll de-activate my old one and activate this one..Still trying to figure out how ot back up the storm's blackberry messenger so I don't loose my contacts though.
    With a backup you're contacts will be saved too.
    12-18-08 03:08 PM
    The paper states you have and I quote "To avoid being charged for the replacement device, your defective device must be shipped back to Verizon Wireless within 10 days of receipt of your replacement device. " .......It also states to keep EVERYTHING that came with it and ONLY return the device in bold it states "keep accessories,battery,chargers,memory cards,stylus, sim cards, etc" SOOOO I will NOT be returning the battery(2 batteries for me now) This will be the third time I got a spare battery this way....and now a extra phone charger to leave at the girls house lol
    If I were you I'd read that a little more closely. There was another thread on the forums where someone said something similar, until it was pointed out that that paperwork pertains to a REFURBISHED unit, where they only send the phone, with no accessories, batteries, etc.

In the case of a new phone, they want EVERYTHING back.

I have a feeling they might hit you up with charges for all those things you kept. I'd follow up with them if I were you.
    12-18-08 03:14 PM
    According to Verizon, you are wrong...my replacement came in a brown box and they swore up and down it was not a refurb...and it works great!

they said if you are returning within the initial warranty date, it has to be a new device...

...and they also said any phone returned for a different model gets sent back to RIMM...hmmmm

I agree if you bought a new phone you should get a new one. The ones in the brown box are technically refurb. The paper work that
    Came with it says "certified new' which means it was returned, sent to rim, and had put back together.
    If you complain they will send a new one unopened in a blackberry box. Within 30 days is correct
    You are entitled to a new one. Its like a dice roll if you get a fru or a new one however. That being
    Said brown box is a certified like new one. If you must have a NEW one just complain =)
    12-18-08 03:21 PM
    If I were you I'd read that a little more closely. There was another thread on the forums where someone said something similar, until it was pointed out that that paperwork pertains to a REFURBISHED unit, where they only send the phone, with no accessories, batteries, etc.

In the case of a new phone, they want EVERYTHING back.

I have a feeling they might hit you up with charges for all those things you kept. I'd follow up with them if I were you.
    Thanks for the heads up man!!
    12-18-08 03:52 PM
    Any updates? Wondering who's getting replacements brand new in the box vs. the brown box replacements?
    12-19-08 12:14 PM
    What is the basis behind the brown box meaning refurb. I have yet to be with any phone company who sends a replacement unit in the nice new blackberry packaging. Also, my replacement came from Canada and my original was from Mexico. It doesn't matter. We are being way to picky about something thatdoesn't matter. If the problem you called about is fixed, then problem solved. Let's talk about something important like how it would be nice to have contact list that automatically scrolled similar to the one on the HTC Touch and iPhone
    12-19-08 12:58 PM
    What is the basis behind the brown box meaning refurb. I have yet to be with any phone company who sends a replacement unit in the nice new blackberry packaging. Also, my replacement came from Canada and my original was from Mexico. It doesn't matter. We are being way to picky about something thatdoesn't matter. If the problem you called about is fixed, then problem solved. Let's talk about something important like how it would be nice to have contact list that automatically scrolled similar to the one on the HTC Touch and iPhone

My basis is that my coworker who got his replacement one day before mine got it in a brand new box with all the accessories. The next day, I got mine in a brown box with nothing other than the phone and battery cover. Why the inconsistency?
    12-19-08 01:01 PM
    When I talked with Verizon they told me that the handset would come by itself. I was surprised I got a battery door. TMobile sends you nothing but a phone, the same with ATT
    12-19-08 01:04 PM
    Do not settle for a phone someone used and had a problem with.
    Same thing happened to me, you need to check if anything in the papers ( I got a little slip it says "as a valued verizon customer (**** yea!) we are pleased to provide you with this certified like-new phone").You probably got a slip that says "Exchange program" or something like that. It also came in a brown box and stuff as you described. First of all, I paid money for a brand new spanking phone, not a phone someone used, handled, perhaps dropped into the toilet, and then sent back. Also, my phone had weird different-color lights in the crack where the buttons are, while all other cracks had the white light, it isn't a big deal but overall it was annoying.
    Also, for people who want to get replacements, if you take the phone with the problem to the VZ kiosk or store DO NOT LET THEM SEND YOU AWAY WITHOUT ORDERING A NEW PHONE. They will tell you to call this "number" and there's a good chance you will get a "certified like-new" refurb from calling CS. The employees get paid from commission and have NO incentive to spend 20 minutes ordering you a new phone while they are missing a customer who will buy an expensive contract. Talk to the manager.
    I had the exact same problem got a refurb as a replacement. Took it to the VZ kiosk and was told that it's "impossible" that it's a refurb. Come on, judging by this forum, half of the people here are already on their 3rd and 4th storms. Do you think those phones you guys send back go to some neverland? They become refurbs. The people at verizon kiosk were the most nasty employees to have ever lived. Not only did they tell me I was being "too picky", but also that I am stuck with the refurb. Also, they said that I should have brought the phone to THEM, and had it inspected because now, you see, they do not know if the defect was caused by water damage or I dropped the phone. I explained that I did take it here and an employee said to call the CS number.
    I was able to get ahold of the manager at another location, and luckily for me he managed that kiosk too and went ahead ordered me a new phone no questions asked. It's suppose to come on monday and hopefully it won't have any problems. The people at VZ will give you the hardest time when you try to get a new phone and the only person that helped me out was the manager. And by the way, he told me the phone should come in the original box/packaging.
    Last edited by mia91; 12-19-08 at 08:17 PM.
    12-19-08 08:08 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD