Hi-

I recently downloaded Google Maps to my Storm, and it works great. The Storm comes preloaded with Blackberry Maps, and I wanted to keep one or the other on the device, so I was wondering if someone can tell me which one is better (I have not used either extensively).

Researching CB.com, it appears that most prefer the new Google Maps program, and in the interest of saving space on my Storm for new Apps, how do I delete BB Maps? Highlighting it and hitting the menu button does not give you a "Delete" option...

Thanks!

TONY
    02-23-09 04:35 PM
    You need to plug your phone up to your computer, launch DM and then go to Application Loader. Or if you want to do it directly from your phone go into Options, Advance Options, Applications and delete it from there.
    02-23-09 04:50 PM
    I use Google Maps more now but I still have BB Maps installed on my storm. The reason for keeping BB Maps is that WeatherBug needs BB Maps for it to function properly. If you use WB, I suggest keeping both if you like Google Maps more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 08:34 PM
    Didn't know if anyone else noticed but I seem to always get better results
    using BBMaps.

I wanted Sushi the other day and put it into Google Maps and got stuff about 20+ miles away.

I typed the same thing in BB Maps and found places 2 miles and less from where
    I was.

Poynt had the same results as Google Maps.

I also did a search on Jap. Steakhouses and similar results. Looks like BB Maps
    has more information.
    02-24-09 07:51 AM
    Personally, i tried to use both. BB maps NEVER worked with me. Google maps works perfectly for me
    02-24-09 07:58 AM
    Google Maps all the way
    02-24-09 09:17 AM
    Google Maps all the way
    I used to think so as well. Love the GPS stuff just the local search for
    stuff like Restaurants, shops seems like BB Maps gives better results, ie more
    results.
    02-24-09 09:59 AM
    I use Google Maps. BB Maps? Not so much.
    02-24-09 10:00 AM
    I have them both, WB uses it
    02-24-09 10:11 AM
    Hi-

I recently downloaded Google Maps to my Storm, and it works great. The Storm comes preloaded with Blackberry Maps, and I wanted to keep one or the other on the device, so I was wondering if someone can tell me which one is better (I have not used either extensively).

Researching CB.com, it appears that most prefer the new Google Maps program, and in the interest of saving space on my Storm for new Apps, how do I delete BB Maps? Highlighting it and hitting the menu button does not give you a "Delete" option...

Thanks!

TONY
    BB Maps is great in that it's not very data intensive, grabs addresses right out of address book and you can 'send location' to others very easily. google maps is much prettier though
    02-24-09 10:22 AM
    I tried google maps and while its an awesome program, it could NEVER find "my location" except for within a certain estimation. It would always show me several miles away from where I was, which wouldnt help at all if I was really lost somewhere and needed it.
    BB maps was always spot on, whether i was at work in an office building, at home, or on the road.

BB maps ftw!
    02-24-09 12:18 PM
    I tried google maps and while its an awesome program, it could NEVER find "my location" except for within a certain estimation. It would always show me several miles away from where I was, which wouldnt help at all if I was really lost somewhere and needed it.
    BB maps was always spot on, whether i was at work in an office building, at home, or on the road.

BB maps ftw!
    The latest version of Google Maps uses the GPS function. It is now very accurate (within a couple of meters of your actual location)
    02-24-09 12:33 PM
    I use Google Maps, but like to keep Blackberry Maps around just in case. If you delete programs from your Storm using the desktop program, are they stored in that program so that you can install them again if necessary???

Thats the only thing that worries me about deleting apps that I dont currently use for memory space.
    02-24-09 12:43 PM
    bb maps doesnt show traffic, so i use google. but i still do have bb maps installed.
    02-24-09 01:08 PM
    If only Weatherbug could use Google Maps......
    02-24-09 01:14 PM
    google maps is much prettier though
    I think this way most people like Google Maps. I like BB Maps and VZ NAV much more then Google Maps.... I like the fact that VZW NAV, gives me voice turn-by-turn directions and etc.
    02-24-09 01:52 PM
    Google Maps hands down.

The only feature VSNav has over Google Maps is the audio directions so I can't justify paying $10/mo for it.

BBMaps loads its maps too slowly. And despite what somebody else has said in this thread, googlemaps performs much better when finding local are interests.

The only reason I haven't deleted BBMaps is because someday I figger I'd try out the geotagging feature of the camera.
    02-24-09 02:07 PM
    If only Weatherbug could use Google Maps......
    +1 on that!
    02-24-09 02:17 PM
    Google Map is better than BB Map, but VZ Navigator is better than Google Map for the following reasons:

1. VZ Nav has voice turn-by-turn navigation.
    2. VZ Nav can navigate you to ANY address on your contact list. Google Map you have to type in the address every time and it is inconvenient if you are on the road. Unless you and all of your friends sign up the Latitude service.
    3. VZ Nav has "follow me" feature which is very accurate. it literally follows me and shows what street I am driving on and what direction i am heading. When I gets out of the grid, the map redraw is very fast. Google Map is slower on redrawing map.
    4. VZ Nav can pinpoint me when I am inside an office building. Google Map can only triangulate me when I am indoor and it is 1/4 mile off target.
    5. VZ Nav can provide weather forecast on your location and any location on your contact list. No need for WeatherBug anymore. And no need to type in any address.
    6. VZ Nav can help you find the type of restaurants (e.g. Italian) in the area where you are at now.
    7. VZ nav can tell you what movies are showing at a theater in the area where you are at.
    8. VZ Nav is provided by Verizon Wireless, so they have the home-field-advantage.

Most of these features are usually found on GPS devices like Tom-Tom and Garmin that cost $400-$500 for the devices plus subscription fees. VZ Navigator is only $10 a month, roughly the cost of 2 Starbuck coffees. in my humble opinion, it is a must-have application for every Storm owner.

Last edited by substring; 02-24-09 at 02:38 PM.
    02-24-09 02:35 PM
    I appreciate all of the input and opinions. I got a 30-day free trial of VZNav when I purchased my Storm 5 weeks ago. I used it on a trip out of town shortly thereafter, and can attest to the fact that it works really well.

It absolutely drains the battery, and in a very short amount of time, but it works as well as my Magellan (I just didn't want to bring it with me if my phone could perform the same function).

If you don't mind paying the subscription fee, and you do not currently have a Garmin, TomTom, etc- this is a great tool. I already have a GPS for my car, so I already deleted VZNav, as I have no intention of paying for the service. After using both BB Maps and Google Maps- I agree with the majority of posters that Google Maps is more responsive, and quite accurate.

YMMV

TONY
    02-24-09 04:37 PM
    ...It absolutely drains the battery, and in a very short amount of time...
    Although I have not tested it extensively, last weekend when I used the voice turn-by-turn navigation and the "follow me" feature on the highway for about an hour, without connecting to any charger, it only consumed about half a block of the battery strength indicator (there are 5 blocks when in full strength). So I think the battery consumption is not bad at all.

02-24-09 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD