Check it out!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 01:26 PM
    I read about this......I don't know use GMaps nor do I use BUZZ, but some of the features sound pretty cool.

Anybody upgraded yet?
    04-07-10 01:40 PM
    STILL BUGGY! locks up when I hit voice search in Search the Map. now I gotta do a battery pull...
    04-07-10 01:41 PM
    PLEASE: everyone contact Google at this link to complain about 4.0.1 not working with 5.0.0.607 at this link: Contact the Google Maps Support Team - Maps Help
    04-07-10 01:48 PM
    STILL BUGGY! locks up when I hit voice search in Search the Map. now I gotta do a battery pull...
    This feature is not available for Blackberry Devices.....scroll down the page and look at the features offered for different devices.
    04-07-10 02:03 PM
    And... the version that comes up at m.google.com/maps appears to be the non-touch version and installed with compatibility mode enabled. I'm rebooting (yaaaaaawn) now to see if it lets me use the touch screen for anything.

On a side not, I'm seriously looking at the HTC Incredible from Verizon when it comes out. I've played with google maps and google earth on the Motorola Droid and WOW, it's pretty slick. Sure I'll miss BBM but I won't miss the 5 min reboot times.
    04-07-10 02:04 PM
    And... the version that comes up at m.google.com/maps appears to be the non-touch version and installed with compatibility mode enabled. I'm rebooting (yaaaaaawn) now to see if it lets me use the touch screen for anything.
    Mine gave me the touch version no problem, as it always has. This is on both the 9530 and 9550. Sorry you're having problems.
    04-07-10 02:06 PM

On a side not, I'm seriously looking at the HTC Incredible from Verizon when it comes out. I've played with google maps and google earth on the Motorola Droid and WOW, it's pretty slick. Sure I'll miss BBM but I won't miss the 5 min reboot times.
    u had your browser set up wrong which is why u got the non touch version. i had that issue last month when I installed G maps. try again using different browser ID.
    04-07-10 02:14 PM
    u had your browser set up wrong which is why u got the non touch version. i had that issue last month when I installed G maps. try again using different browser ID.
    Ah, thanks, I remember the browser issue from the previous release. It did lock up the program when I tried the SEND key but I'll try again when I get it re-downloaded.
    04-07-10 02:17 PM
    Ah, thanks, I remember the browser issue from the previous release. It did lock up the program when I tried the SEND key but I'll try again when I get it re-downloaded.
    cool. let us know. it would be great if google gets on this issue as fast as Amazon fixed 2.0 Kindle app for iphone (i own a Touch). One day after the new version came out, I emailed them a complaint about the text being gray instead of black like it was on all previous versions, and they updated their app to 2.0.1 a couple hours ago and it works great. how's that for support!!!
    04-07-10 02:22 PM
    From the Google Maps startup screen:

What's new in Maps?

• Search by voice
    • Starred items synchronized with maps.google.com
    • Search suggestions from your maps.google.com search history
    • Try out experimental features with labs
    • Check out buzz!
    04-07-10 02:31 PM
    Well my wife's downloaded the touch version first time. My browser was set for IE instead of BB, fixed it and redownloaded. Her Voice Search with the SEND key works great. I just tested mine and the Voice search works on it as well. Were both on 9550's with OS .607. Excuse my error, I guess all is well with ours and Latitude work well also. Voice search doesn't seem as fast as on the Droid I played with, although I'm not sure why since the voice/phonemes is analyzed externally from the device.

4.0.1 gets a thumbs up so far... after a memory jog that I dl'd the wrong ver initially Thanks
    04-07-10 02:37 PM
    This feature is not available for Blackberry Devices.....scroll down the page and look at the features offered for different devices.
    fail. the search feature is supposed to work. it locks up on my phone, as does using the keyboard to input in " search the maps " function.
    04-07-10 02:40 PM
    not impressed so far. I have tried to use the touch search twice and it has ended in a battery pull both times thus far. I have tried some street level views of my current gps location and response time is very slow. Once my phone reboots I will play with some more options, right now I'm thinking I will be removing this app all together.
    04-07-10 02:59 PM
    It is extremely buggy for me. I am using .607.

search takes forever, Voice search just locks up device, after manual search, I can't even exit out of the program anymore...

Anyone else see this weird behavior? Yes I set permissions to Allow All and I have done a batter pull...
    04-07-10 03:05 PM
    OK, Stupid question; how do you know if you have the touchscreen version or not?
    04-07-10 03:13 PM
    fail. the search feature is supposed to work. it locks up on my phone, as does using the keyboard to input in " search the maps " function.
    FWIW, I was using 607 and it would not work for me. Did the same thing, just locked up. Put 517 back on and it now works as it should.
    04-07-10 03:32 PM
    For reading the information provided on the site. Certainly not a check mark on this feature for the BB. Trial by error I guess.
    04-07-10 03:38 PM
    deleted from my phone. I'm running 607 and everything about this app does not work for me. I removed it from my phone and tried to re install it but I get the same stuff. Freezes up when I pretty much try to do anything. I will wait to see if they come out with anything better for 607.
    04-07-10 03:42 PM
    OK, Stupid question; how do you know if you have the touchscreen version or not?
    I had my browser set to Internet Explorer instead of BlackBerry in options and it caused google maps to show a version not for the Storm. The Non-Touch version shows shortcut keys at the bottom of the screen for people with Physical (Non-Touch) keyboards. And the Non-Touch version just doesn't work by trying to touch the screen, ie you can't use your finger to move the maps or select anything. I changed to my browser settings and re downloaded it and all is good.

I know some people are still having problems and I think it must depend on what RIM plant you phone came out of as I have had problems with certain things that most others haven't. The 1's and 0's in the chips vary from China to Canada to Mexico I guess!
    04-07-10 03:52 PM
    Similar problems as everyone else with .607 freezing.

Any way to download the prior version until this is worked out?
    04-07-10 04:17 PM
    works well on my BB 9550.
    the first install it would not recognize the touch screen interaction. Changed my browser setting from IE to BB and downloaded it again.. works like a charm

oh and I'm running .517
    04-07-10 04:21 PM
    Must be something in .607 as it doesn't work for me.

I downloaded using the browser as BB.
    04-07-10 04:26 PM
    google labs adds some interesting features:
    terrain overlay
    scale bar
    direction and distance for latitude friends and search results
    04-07-10 04:34 PM
    Search did not work, however, maps loads much quicker, I will keep it based upon that alone, I will just not use the search until an updated version comes out. All else seems quicker.
    04-07-10 05:13 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD