Ok, so I just recently learned that BB maps uses data to download maps as you move etc. I'm travelling to the US, and don't want to pay Telus' massive data prices down there to use BB maps. Can anyone tell me if Google maps uses data, or is the map data contained within the phone.

If it is contained in the phone, how much space does it take up, can I save the maps themselves to my SD card and just have the app on the phone's internal memory etc. I know apps can't run from the SD card, but they should be able to access files on the card for use.

If this doesn't work, does anyone else have a better suggestion? I do have a tomtom, but it sucks to carry everywhere on vacation, especially when going out on foot. For vehicle travel the tomtom is best of course because it gives turn by turn and doesn't use up my BB battery.
    04-19-09 07:26 AM
    Google maps basically downloads the necessary map to display as you go along, just like if you were accessing it via your computer. It caches it just like a website on your handheld as well and does not take up too much space. Like most BB Storm apps, you cant save it to the SD card.

Three of my biggest annoyances with Google maps that I have not been able to find solutions for (feel free to let me know if there are any) are:

1) There is no "avoid traffic" setting on the directions so even though there is a 4 hour backup on I-95, if google thinks that is the best route, you are stuck with it

2) As a subset to the previous point, there is no "re-route" option for the most part. If you miss an exit on the interstate, google does not recognize that you missed it, until you make it get new directions, and in most cases, it will find another way to get you back to that exit, vs. finding another route.

3) The routes it provide are not always the best, and in many of the tests I have done with it, Google maps on the BB plans a completely different route than the route Google Maps will give me on the computer.

With those issue pointed out, and to be fair to Google, Google Maps is NOT a GPS program, but rather a mapping program. They make no claim to be, but buy addressing the 3 issues above I think it will be probably the best GPS applicaton out there.

If you are looking for the cheapest GPS solution and one that is failry accurate. at least from my experience in the VA, MD, DC, OH, NY and NJ routes I have used it for is FreeNav. The big downside to this app though is that the POI database is not as expansive as other programs for US POI but you get what you pay for, couple it with Google maps or Paynt to find POI and enter them manually into free nav and I think you have a solution that will fit your needs and price point!

Hope this helps, and apologies for the tirade on GG Maps
    04-19-09 07:58 AM
    Thanks for the detailed response...what I'm looking for isn't so much great rerouting or avoiding traffic. I have a tomtom for that. I'm looking for a map program for my storm that uses no data and has decent POI lists...I want to be able to find a restaurant close while on foot in a vacation city, not to drive to it etc. I don't even need turn by turn directions although it is nice.
    04-19-09 08:06 AM
    Google maps will work just fine then.
    04-19-09 08:32 AM
    Ok, so I just recently learned that BB maps uses data to download maps as you move etc. I'm travelling to the US, and don't want to pay Telus' massive data prices down there to use BB maps. Can anyone tell me if Google maps uses data, or is the map data contained within the phone.

If it is contained in the phone, how much space does it take up, can I save the maps themselves to my SD card and just have the app on the phone's internal memory etc. I know apps can't run from the SD card, but they should be able to access files on the card for use.

If this doesn't work, does anyone else have a better suggestion? I do have a tomtom, but it sucks to carry everywhere on vacation, especially when going out on foot. For vehicle travel the tomtom is best of course because it gives turn by turn and doesn't use up my BB battery.
    All map programs use data to display their maps. There was a company over in the UK I believe that had the option to store maps on the SD card but that I believe was for the older trackball phones. I never kept up with it because I have the unlimited data plan. But to answer your question yes, Google maps uses data the same way that BB maps does. I would advise using your TOM TOM for travel. Your TOM TOM y=should have POI built into it as well. It might even give you reviews depending on the model.
    04-19-09 08:38 AM
    My google maps only half size with keyboard showing in my BB storm 9530. I can't hide the keyboard....can you tell me how to fix it? thank you
    05-25-09 12:20 PM
    My google maps only half size with keyboard showing in my BB storm 9530. I can't hide the keyboard....can you tell me how to fix it? thank you
    Options>Adv. Options>Applications>Highlight Google Maps>BB Button>Disable Compatibility Mode
    05-25-09 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD