I just updated my OS to .83 this morning and when i loaded google maps later on during the day I discovered that it now filled the entire storm screen which it hadn't until today. It looks amazing, a buddy of mine says that he is now regretting big time switching carriers as he could have gotten the storm for free from bell but switched to rogers and got a windows mobile phone.
    12-24-08 12:26 AM
    Yup, google hasnt changed, sorry to tell you. I haven't updated to 83 due to reading all the issues, and Google maps has always filled the screen for me. I think you must have just had the dashboard turned on before and not now.
    12-24-08 12:30 AM
    I just updated my OS to .83 this morning and when i loaded google maps later on during the day I discovered that it now filled the entire storm screen which it hadn't until today. It looks amazing, a buddy of mine says that he is now regretting big time switching carriers as he could have gotten the storm for free from bell but switched to rogers and got a windows mobile phone.
    I would say that you probably had the compatibility mode enabled before and now you do not.
    12-24-08 12:32 AM
    S**t had me excited for a minute. lol still no GPS WTF Google get with it.
    12-24-08 01:04 AM
    Google Maps hasn't changed in ages. It's still version 2.3.2. This is how GMaps has been since I've had my Storm. Still no GPS. Only triangulation.
    No GPS? Then why does mine say, when i am indoors, that it cannot locate GPS and only gives me a location within 4000 metres accuracy even with full 3G signal. But if I step outside it fixes on me and accuracy comes down to within a couple of metres? Anyway I prefer Nav4All.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 01:47 AM
    dang got me excited, I thought they might of fixed the GPS. Common google!
    12-24-08 01:50 AM
    isn't GPS locked by VZ? I don't think it was anything to do with google. I've seen Gmaps work on an iphone and it's accurate.
    12-24-08 02:02 AM
    isn't GPS locked by VZ? I don't think it was anything to do with google. I've seen Gmaps work on an iphone and it's accurate.
    The Storm GPS is not lock aGPS is locked. its been tested with other apps Garmin trapster nav4all all works with the Storms GPS. Google is just lagging to get an update up for us
    12-24-08 02:04 AM
    Then why can't it triangulate indoors on a full signal? And why does it tell me it is searching for GPS?

Because it's using Cell Tower Triangulation. NOT GPS.
    12-24-08 02:05 AM
    google is in it with apple. it's a conspiracy :P
    12-24-08 02:06 AM
    I must have a different version here in Australia. Landscape and full screen and it appears GPS all work 100% here. I don't have any of the issues you guys mention. Australia is the guinea pig nation!

12-24-08 02:14 AM
    Damn I got excited for a second

12-24-08 02:17 AM
    yeah, nothing's changed for me.
    12-24-08 03:12 AM
    MyGPS will only work with BB maps. I tried Google maps nd Amaze and neither show the GPS. RIM tech support told me it will ONLY work with VZN and BB maps. Carrier choice.
    12-24-08 04:44 AM
    I must have a different version here in Australia. Landscape and full screen and it appears GPS all work 100% here. I don't have any of the issues you guys mention. Australia is the guinea pig nation!

Yep me too, Storm with Vodafone in Sydeny "and hi everyone I am new here ".

I think I read somewhere that verizon locks the GPS "don't know how they do it" but with Vodafone australia Gmaps is definately using GPS signal.
    12-24-08 05:07 AM
    Yep me too, Storm with Vodafone in Sydeny "and hi everyone I am new here ".

I think I read somewhere that verizon locks the GPS "don't know how they do it" but with Vodafone australia Gmaps is definately using GPS signal.
    how accurate is it. Is the little dot where you are blue or red?

If its red then it really is using GPS, if its blue, it's just using trianglulation.

And it's not verizon. If it does work on yours its because google maps had been configured to read the vodafone gps. Since vz has always locked their gps' until now, They were never configured for verizon.
    12-24-08 11:02 AM
    how accurate is it. Is the little dot where you are blue or red?

If its red then it really is using GPS, if its blue, it's just using trianglulation.

And it's not verizon. If it does work on yours its because google maps had been configured to read the vodafone gps. Since vz has always locked their gps' until now, They were never configured for verizon.
    The dot is blue when its using GPS, and has a light blue circle round it when using triangulation (just checked in the help), mines usually accurate to less than 8 meters. V2.3.2 and works fine landscape and portrait.
    12-24-08 02:13 PM
    Quoted from the Google Maps Help Group.

Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help

That answer from Google's web site is almost a month old now (11-27-08). It surprises me that it is taking Google so long to release an updated version of Google Maps for the Storm.
    12-24-08 02:51 PM
    That answer from Google's web site is almost a month old now (11-27-08). It surprises me that it is taking Google so long to release an updated version of Google Maps for the Storm.
    That was less than a month ago. What exactly are you expecting?
    12-24-08 03:26 PM
    I don't understand why people keep saying the gps is locked down by Verizon. It's not and is being used in several programs such as;

Garmin Mobile
    GPSed
    Weatherbug
    Blackwater
    Nav4all
    Telenav

I've tried all of the above personly, and they all work with the gps. VERIZON DOES NOT HAVE THE GPS LOCKED DOWN ON THE STROM.
    12-24-08 03:32 PM
    That was less than a month ago. What exactly are you expecting?
    If other vendors have released Storm compatible versions of their gps-enabled software, why not Google?
    12-24-08 04:00 PM
    I get GPS with Google Maps every time, except when I'm in a building where it can't acquire satellites.
    12-24-08 04:14 PM
    If other vendors have released Storm compatible versions of their gps-enabled software, why not Google?
    That's really kind of a pointless question. There could be a million good reasons. It's a free app, try being a little thankful for that instead of complaining that they haven't released an update for the Storm when it's only been a month.

The Storm is one device. It may be RIM's most popular phone to date, but there are still millions of Pearls, Curves, Bolds, WinMos, and G1s out there that they need to support too. Stop being so needy, and have a little patience. If they haven't released anything by the end of February, you can start complaining, but give them a little more than a month to come up with something.
    12-24-08 04:21 PM
    I found this article while searching around, sounds like the author does not have a clue.

Verizon Wireless Currently Blocking GPS Features For Google Maps
    12-24-08 04:30 PM
    I found this article while searching around, sounds like the author does not have a clue.

Verizon Wireless Currently Blocking GPS Features For Google Maps
    I complety don't buy what Tom is saying, they are going off the fact that Verizon blocked the gps on previous phones. Good find on the artical though.
    12-24-08 04:54 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD