not sure if this has been posted already, it probably has, but just throwing it out there...

google maps has been causing massive memory leaks with my storm. It might be the main source of memory leaks for everyone out there. Memory would drain to lower than 25 while it was installed, so i deleted it, now im running in the upper 40's with no leaks throughout the day.

just a heads up for those who have google maps installed.
    02-13-09 01:12 PM
    Did you have it running in the background, or just installed on your phone and used it when you needed it? Just curious as I too have been having some lag since I installed it. I'm not sure why it would use any memory if it wasn't running......but what do I know?
    02-13-09 01:22 PM
    I don't get what the big deal is with the free app. memory. If I leave my phone on for several days at a time I will drop down to something like 2 or 3 Mb but the phone won't slow down and I can run all the apps I want with no lag.
    02-13-09 01:26 PM
    Never had it running in the background, I only had it open when I used it. Even still, my memory would drop and it would cause severe lags in the phone. So i deleted it since i find BB maps just as good if not better (it can actually use the storms internal GPS), and now my memory seems stable.

and BBartist - when your free app memory drops to the 20's (at least in my case) there is a SEVERE lag in all aspects of the phone, especially when typing an email or text. Typing will not keep up and the timer (hourglass) will constantly appear and reappear as if the phone is having trouble. I have never seen it drop to 2 or 3 mb.
    02-13-09 01:40 PM
    I have a portable GPS I take with me in my car.........so I should try dropping google maps until it's optimized for the Storm. I'll see what happens. Every phone seems to be different, so we shall see.
    02-13-09 02:11 PM
    I don't get what the big deal is with the free app. memory. If I leave my phone on for several days at a time I will drop down to something like 2 or 3 Mb but the phone won't slow down and I can run all the apps I want with no lag.
    SOME people owned previous BB devices, which were apparently known for deleting data when app memory got below some threshold. The Storm seems to have a far more robust memory manager, but old habits die hard sometimes. The rest of the people are just caught up in a bit of mass hysteria. Someone screams memory leak, and rather than admit they don't know what a memory leak is, people just go along with it. Sadly, it's an all too common phenomenon, and not just with the Storm and free app mem.
    02-13-09 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD