Anyone know why the new version of Google Maps 3.0.1 still is not able to use the GPS in the Storm?

Always says GPS Temporarily Unavailable.

Thanks.
    02-04-09 04:43 PM
    You are so gonna get flamed for posting this...

Google Maps doesn't use the Storm's GPS yet.

Please try and use the forum search feature next time though, ok?
    02-04-09 04:44 PM
    I am aware of the other posts. But a NEW version just came out, (today I think), so I thought GPS would be available on it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why this newest version from Google wouldn't have GPS functionality. Doesn't make sense. Is it something about Verizon. Other friends of mine with Google Maps on their iPhones have GPS on AT&T.
    02-04-09 04:47 PM
    Anyone know why the new version of Google Maps 3.0.1 still is not able to use the GPS in the Storm?

Always says GPS Temporarily Unavailable.

Thanks.
    its temporarily unavailable
    02-04-09 04:48 PM
    02-04-09 04:48 PM
    I am aware of the other posts. But a NEW version just came out, (today I think), so I thought GPS would be available on it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why this newest version from Google wouldn't have GPS functionality. Doesn't make sense. Is it something about Verizon. Other friends of mine with Google Maps on their iPhones have GPS on AT&T.
    Because they didn't program it to use the GPS.
    02-04-09 04:49 PM
    Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help

go to that link and tell google how pissed off you are that the new update still doesnt support the storm
    02-04-09 04:49 PM
    Here ya go sbudaj, several lengthy discussions regarding the new Google Maps (w/ Latitude) release:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...titude-151778/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...resort-152153/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...titude-151968/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ne...update-151710/

That ought to keep you busy for a while.
    Omg that's a whole lot threading. Guess we forgot to search.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 04:57 PM
    Yesterdays: Thanks. Thought I was on this early. Guess not!
    02-04-09 04:58 PM
    thats odd... i saw this and thought, what are they talking about... i works... I used it yesterday, and if found my location within 8 meters, but today... nothing.
    02-04-09 06:04 PM
    thats odd... i saw this and thought, what are they talking about... i works... I used it yesterday, and if found my location within 8 meters, but today... nothing.
    This is because you're using the 9530 in GSM/UMTS radio mode. GMM works with GPS in that mode.
    02-04-09 06:19 PM
    I'm positive that IF and thats a big IF google updates google maps you'll know about it because this forum will erupt in chaos!
    02-04-09 07:51 PM
    The version that's available now is actually 3.0.1. Yesterday it was .0. Wonder what they changed?
    02-04-09 08:05 PM
    This is because you're using the 9530 in GSM/UMTS radio mode. GMM works with GPS in that mode.
    Which should tell everyone that this is a Verizon issue. It works on other CDMA networks. It works on my Verizon phone if you simply switch it to GSM mode.

Try opening GMM then press end, open options, go to network and set it to GSM. Then hold BB and go back to GMM. Wait a few minutes and poof your position will be locked in via true GPS.

Everyone give it a try and you'll know that this truly is a Verizon issue.

I chalk it up to the fact that Google was one of the major players that was bidding on the 700Mhz spectrum and ended up making that final purchase a lot more expensive for Verizon. I think that Verizon is holding a grudge and they are taking their ball and going home. Then to make things worse they are setting it up so that you can use anything you want as long as its not google.

Not to mention that Verizon just signed a contract to provide search facilities on all their handsets. So with Google handling such a large percentage of all search traffic you'd think they'd be the obvious choice. But nope. VZW chose Microsoft. They are one of the smallest percentages just barely beating out Ask Jeeves.
    02-04-09 09:41 PM
    Which should tell everyone that this is a Verizon issue. It works on other CDMA networks. It works on my Verizon phone if you simply switch it to GSM mode.

Try opening GMM then press end, open options, go to network and set it to GSM. Then hold BB and go back to GMM. Wait a few minutes and poof your position will be locked in via true GPS.

Everyone give it a try and you'll know that this truly is a Verizon issue.

I chalk it up to the fact that Google was one of the major players that was bidding on the 700Mhz spectrum and ended up making that final purchase a lot more expensive for Verizon. I think that Verizon is holding a grudge and they are taking their ball and going home. Then to make things worse they are setting it up so that you can use anything you want as long as its not google.

Not to mention that Verizon just signed a contract to provide search facilities on all their handsets. So with Google handling such a large percentage of all search traffic you'd think they'd be the obvious choice. But nope. VZW chose Microsoft. They are one of the smallest percentages just barely beating out Ask Jeeves.
    Yup, Google Maps pinpoints within 20 meters with my 9530 in GSM mode. Unfortunately it's not usefull because the maps can't update due to not having a data connection.
    02-04-09 10:45 PM
    same with bell i suppose. i tried switchin to gsm and it works like you said. but thats rogers business. dammit
    02-04-09 10:49 PM
    Wrong. Here's why.

On a CDMA Blackberry, the default GPS API calls get pushed to the Qualcomm gpsOne aGPS chipset capability. aGPS is not open to 3rd party apps on Verizon with the exception of Blackberry Maps (as of a month ago or so). However, full GPS (autonomous) is available and open on the 9530 while in CDMA mode, but the API calls are handled differently from everything I've read. Weatherbug, GPSed, TelNav, etc. all know how to make these calls without issues. Google is just being pigheaded because they don't want to change the code a little to make everyone happy. They suck and as far as I'm concerned, they only thing they are good for is finding Storm OS leaks. BWHWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

BTW, aGPS is PDE server driven. That server sits on Verizon's network... of course they'll lock it down to keep overhead on it localized to only VZNav and anything else they want to permission out. (We've been through all of this before.)
    02-04-09 10:53 PM
    GPS aside, is Google maps 3 any better than the previous version? Is it faster prettier, easier to use? I don't really care about latitude and just wanna know if it is worth the upgrade

02-04-09 11:08 PM
    GPS aside, is Google maps 3 any better than the previous version? Is it faster prettier, easier to use? I don't really care about latitude and just wanna know if it is worth the upgrade

I don't know about "prettier" since it's the same looking maps. It's not any easier or more difficult to use. It seems a tad smoother but barely. The upgrade is pretty lame, except it includes Latitude which in a few months might be a fun feature.

One nice thing I've noticed is that switching orientations is much faster than on previous versions.

You don't really lose anything by upgrading except I think Street View is gone. That feature was barely usable anyway since the photos were so small and took a long time to load.
    02-04-09 11:46 PM
    You don't really lose anything by upgrading except I think Street View is gone. That feature was barely usable anyway since the photos were so small and took a long time to load.
    Street View still works. And you can expand the image to fill the 480x360 screen, portrait or landscape orientation.
    02-05-09 01:46 AM
    My guess is Google doesn't want to pay Verizon's high GPS server access fees and they can't agree on a contract. Developers have to pay carriers a fee each time the GPS server is accessed to request the user's coordinates.

02-05-09 05:07 AM
    Its almost comical that customers are not able to get any definitive answers from G or V on this. It has become an image problem for both companies. Why don't we launch a formal petition?

Last edited by cgull; 02-05-09 at 05:26 AM.
    02-05-09 05:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD