Has anyone used & downloaded this? I haven't gotten my phone in the mail yet, but I can't see spending $9.99 a month for VZ Navigator.
    Thanks!
    11-29-08 07:38 AM
    I have not tried Google maps yet on the Storm, but it does come with BB Maps and it does work just fine. VZ Nav does seem to be better overall tho, because it has the 3d drive mode like a TomTom/Garmin has, it also talks to you. The only other software I'm aware of that does that is TeleNav, but that has a montly subscriptions as well if I'm not mistaken?

If your not worried about the talking, and 3d dashboard view, then BBMaps or Google maps will suit you fine.
    11-29-08 07:42 AM
    Thanks.

Sorry for the dum questions but here goes.
    BB maps..is it already on the Storm when you get it or do you have to DL it?
    Is there extra charges for using it?
    11-29-08 07:49 AM
    I have not tried Google maps yet on the Storm, but it does come with BB Maps and it does work just fine. VZ Nav does seem to be better overall tho, because it has the 3d drive mode like a TomTom/Garmin has, it also talks to you. The only other software I'm aware of that does that is TeleNav, but that has a montly subscriptions as well if I'm not mistaken?

If your not worried about the talking, and 3d dashboard view, then BBMaps or Google maps will suit you fine.
    How do you get the BB Maps to use GPS? Am I missing something because I don't see an option for it to show my location.
    11-29-08 07:49 AM
    BB maps comes preloaded and it is called "Maps." If you want GPS to work, you need to turn on location aware under Options>Advanced Options>GPS.

It is not too bad of a program, but I am waiting for google maps to get updated to use the Storm GPS.
    11-29-08 07:51 AM
    How do you get the BB Maps to use GPS? Am I missing something because I don't see an option for it to show my location.
    Make sure you go to Options and turn the GPS on. By default it's in 911 only mode.
    11-29-08 07:52 AM
    Thanks for the help guys. I knew the GPS setting was there but I thought it was already on, I'll go check it out once my handheld gets done rebooting from the Google Maps deletion.
    11-29-08 08:01 AM
    Tryed loading google maps to the storm and i am guessing it hasnt been updated yet because mine wont work . It did work on the pearl
    11-29-08 08:02 AM
    I loaded Google Maps on my Storm last weekend. Worked like a charm!
    11-29-08 08:10 AM
    I loaded Google Maps on my Storm last weekend. Worked like a charm!
    Is it simmilar to google maps on the iphone?
    11-29-08 08:24 AM
    Google maps loaded and works for me. Just not with the GPS. They still need to update that. GPS works great with BB Maps though. So I'm sure once Google updates their software it'll be rock'n with GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 08:36 AM
    Last thing I read said that google did not intend to make their map program move away from agps or triangulation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 09:06 AM
    Google maps loaded fine for me as well it is off a little on the exact spot I am standing but bbmaps is dead on, so you guys might be right it is using the towers to draw my location insted of satalites.
    11-29-08 09:20 AM
    Make sure you go to Options and turn the GPS on. By default it's in 911 only mode.
    Its actually turned on by default on UK Storms guys or at least on mine!
    11-29-08 09:27 AM
    Googlemaps is a MUST HAVE. It doesnt work with GPS (yet) but for looking up businesses and calling nothing beats it. I wanted chinese yesterday and from the time I grabbed my Storm, fired up Googlemaps, searched for my fav Mama Fu's and called from the search result and ordered and hung up the phone was exactly 63 seconds. Cant beat it.
    11-29-08 09:31 AM
    I downloaded Google maps and it works perfectly! My daughter got her Storm the same day as me, and can't get it to work..lol, we can't figure that out. As soon as I finished the installation it "found me"....showed my exact location etc. She's going to delete and reinstall.
    11-29-08 09:32 AM
    +1 for Google maps. If you can live without actual GPS, then the turn by turn directions still works, and quality of the detail of the maps are phenominal. It looks like a real map, where bb maps looks like a kids drawing. ALSO great for looking up businesses and dialing.

But I miss the voice search that worked on my Curve.
    11-29-08 10:57 AM
    I have been using GOOGLE MAPS from day 1 with the storm. The GPS works fine.....

How are you guys having problems w/GPS? It should work right out of the box... mine did!
    11-29-08 11:11 AM
    It doesnt connect to the GPS. as you will see on your google maps there is a giant blue circle around the pinpoint.. That is because it is not using GPS. Its a problem with Google
    11-29-08 11:27 AM
    Google maps even has the new street view. works fine in both portrait and landscape for me.
    11-29-08 11:53 AM
    Is it simmilar to google maps on the iphone?
    Sorry, I can't speak to that, as I've never owned an iPhone; but I would assume it is.
    11-30-08 05:57 AM
    I read in another thread that the Storm GPS is defaulted to 911 only out of the box. I checked and sure enough, mine was. You can change the setting to "Location", which should help.
    11-30-08 05:59 AM
    I was able to get GPS working in Google Maps. Drove from Collingwood to Waterloo yesterday with it working.

What I found is that you have to go into BB Maps (Maps) and select Start GPS Navigation. Then ensure that BB Maps can lock on a satellite. Then go into Google Maps, and it will work. Not sure why Google Maps can't do it on it's own.
    11-30-08 09:26 AM
    Google maps loaded fine for me as well it is off a little on the exact spot I am standing but bbmaps is dead on, so you guys might be right it is using the towers to draw my location insted of satalites.
    I loaded google maps but I can't find the icon! I've looked in the applications folder and the Downloads folder and nothing! When I pull up the apps changer, the icon is there, but not anywhere else on the screen or list! Any idea how I get the icon to the menu?
    11-30-08 09:45 AM
    I loaded google maps but I can't find the icon! I've looked in the applications folder and the Downloads folder and nothing! When I pull up the apps changer, the icon is there, but not anywhere else on the screen or list! Any idea how I get the icon to the menu?
    Well, I tried powering off the phone and then restarted it and the GG Maps Icon was now in the Applications folder. Moved to to HOME screen and all works well. I'm used to GG Maps on my Pearl so it's something I'm comfortable with and will use on my Storm.
    11-30-08 09:50 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD