Is there a way I can set Google Mobile Maps as the default mapping application on my storm? I did options/ Advanced Options/ Maps/but I can't change the default from BB Maps.

Can I change this to google
    02-19-09 09:23 PM
    Good question I am experiencing the same, and wonder how to set Google as default maps any help is appreciated!
    02-19-09 10:21 PM
    What exactly would that do for you? What apps launch the map?
    02-19-09 10:33 PM
    Poynt, WeatherBug, just a couple
    02-19-09 10:40 PM
    Well, tell Poynt to use Google and you are set?
    02-19-09 10:43 PM
    WB can't run without BB maps, it's the way it's built, and doesn't seem it will be worked on anytime soon. I checked their forums, last and only post about the storm app was from mid December.
    02-19-09 11:00 PM
    also geotagging photos you need bb maps install.
    02-19-09 11:05 PM
    Do you, I did not know that at all. That would be the only reason why I would have BB Maps installed then. Argggg, guess I may have to put it back on I guess.

Thanks for the update and tip.
    02-19-09 11:08 PM
    Actually I just tried it out while on lunch...you can still Geotag photos without BB Maps installed. I tried it out and the GPS icon appeared and it worked.
    I loaded to my pictures website and it came up on my map and also a picture that I had geotagged prior to uninstalling BB Maps and before the new GMM came out both had properties of geotagging.

The only thing that I did notice though was that once the picture was taken you could not view it on a map or get directions to it like I could before. So techinically you dont need BB Maps installed to geotag photos but maybe to do the other things that you would like.

Just some of my observations I checked out while I was on lunch.
    02-20-09 01:11 AM
    Actually I just tried it out while on lunch...you can still Geotag photos without BB Maps installed. I tried it out and the GPS icon appeared and it worked.
    I loaded to my pictures website and it came up on my map and also a picture that I had geotagged prior to uninstalling BB Maps and before the new GMM came out both had properties of geotagging.

The only thing that I did notice though was that once the picture was taken you could not view it on a map or get directions to it like I could before. So techinically you dont need BB Maps installed to geotag photos but maybe to do the other things that you would like.

Just some of my observations I checked out while I was on lunch.
    Thats great news I was just going to state. I don't know if info is still being stored on the photo, but all I knew was the option to "view on map" wont be available w/o bbmaps installed.

We need to find away to set it up on Gmaps
    02-20-09 01:28 AM
    Thats great news I was just going to state. I don't know if info is still being stored on the photo, but all I knew was the option to "view on map" wont be available w/o bbmaps installed.

We need to find away to set it up on Gmaps
    Ok all is cool.
    I figured the GPS would geotag the coordinates but I guess your second version you stated above makes more sense and would have answered the question to begin with.

So yes you can geotag but no you cannot view on map....so there goes anyones idea of taking a geotag photo of there car and hoping to use the picture and there storm to refind there car in the parking lot

Yes would be nice if it would work with Gmaps that is for sure.
    02-20-09 01:34 AM
    If this is any hint...I don't have BB Maps installed, and I don't even have a "Maps" option under Options -> Advanced Options
    02-20-09 07:57 AM
    I am pretty sure this has to do with what each program actually keeps on the phone. Google Maps cannot work without a data connection, thus I believe the majority of it is stored off phone and is requested as needed.

BBMaps on the otherhand has most everything on the phone, and just requests the bits it needs from its data storage.

Thus I believe BBMaps is the only "map" on the phone which the installed programs can recognize and use as a mapping utility.

The world as Ben sees it....
    02-20-09 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD