Time for a thread lock...
    05-29-10 08:17 PM
    I agree but am amazed that this is the case. I would guess that around 5% are duds in one form or another. Before they changed the silicon or whatever it was under the screen I think it was a little higher (maybe 10%). My very first storm two was probably fine. I had a battery drain that was user error but the screen worked great. Since then, it took 4 storm two's to get a good one. I went through mushy screens, blown speaker after several months, and other issues. I've had my current storm two for a couple months and it is the best one I've ever owned (the responsiveness of the screen is better than every other one I owned). You would think they would pilot a few thousand of these to crackberry users before releasing and read the forums instead of putting out new technology that isn't perfected yet.
    I can agree with this. I've only had 1 replacement, but they were both very different. And I have a co-worker with the same phone (first batch Storm 2) and her device clicked different. So all in all, I actually stared at 3 devices that all clicked differently.

Its hardly a bad phone by any stretch! I love this thing and its true that if you get a good one, its usually a really good one! But at the end of the day, the device line is not sour grapes! I think VERY few would say that it is (unlike the Storm 1 which was)
    05-29-10 09:13 PM
    I recently switched back to my super reliable 8330. My issue is that I didn't realize how much I would miss real buttons. I'm keeping the 9550 until OS6 comes out, trying the new OS on it, and reactivating it if OS6 makes it run better. Until then, happy to be back on my Curve!
    05-30-10 04:42 AM
    My screen tenses up and closes apps on it's own, with everything oem. I'm done with the storm2. This is my 4th one, and I'm exchanging it for a new one and selling it. I'm done. BlackBerry bold2 has been the best to me. And I'll give the 9800 a chance, cuz it's damn sexy and it's all I want, otherwise, I'm changing devices. I've had so many issues with the storm series. And I want a larger screen.

Good riddance to the 9520. I love it. Sexy. Great idea. But it doesn't work right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-10 05:56 AM
    none of the problems you guys say with my 9550... bat drain fixed by removing quickpull and using meterberry. I use viigo all day long, pandora, siriusxm app, docs to go, email email email, a couple of poker games... and of course calls. I go about 16-17 hours before putting on charger. The OP apparently loaded somehting that was not good for the phone. I dont have locks or anything..
    05-30-10 10:54 PM
    I'm on my 3rd with Verizon and there are times I wish I was using my Samsung SCH-i760 again. For those that don't know, it's a WinMo 6.1 phone.

No themes, 5 apps I barely use, no extras. Just all around lousy phone. Ironically, Battery life is NOT my problem. But freezing, hanging, random screen rotations, speaker phone turning on at random, abysmal visual voice mail, horrific text selection (for copy/paste) and screen dragging, and horrendous typing, are. Funny thing is my ex and another very good friend have the Storm2 as well, and they have the exact same issues even after all of us have done multiple wipe-and-reinstalls of the latest and "greatest" official BB OS release.

It's going to be a LOOONG 16 months.
    05-31-10 08:56 AM
    I'm on my 3rd with Verizon and there are times I wish I was using my Samsung SCH-i760 again. For those that don't know, it's a WinMo 6.1 phone.

No themes, 5 apps I barely use, no extras. Just all around lousy phone. Ironically, Battery life is NOT my problem. But freezing, hanging, random screen rotations, speaker phone turning on at random, abysmal visual voice mail, horrific text selection (for copy/paste) and screen dragging, and horrendous typing, are. Funny thing is my ex and another very good friend have the Storm2 as well, and they have the exact same issues even after all of us have done multiple wipe-and-reinstalls of the latest and "greatest" official BB OS release.

"horrendous typing"? on your phone and 2 friend's phones?? perhaps you guys don't like SurePress.
    05-31-10 11:38 AM

Officials usually suck, btw. Just tossing that out there. (320 and 607, anyone?) Most of the issues just make you sound like you don't know wtf you're doing when you use your phone.

Freezing; **** happens. The Jesus phone freezes too.

Random screen rotations; It's called an accelerometer. Buy LockTilt for the whopping 2 dollars and stop it from ever happening again.

Speakerphone turning on at random; Some OS' had this issue, but it mostly happens when you hold the phone like a ****** and it's sideways, or you're lying down on the phone.

Visual Voicemail; find some friends who speak clearer english?

Text Selection; definitely not saying it's the best but it's not really that hard.

Screen Dragging; I don't even know wtf this means. You already mentioned lagging so unless you lean out your car door and scrape it along the ground, I'm not sure what this is referring to.

Horrendous typing; crazy idea, you might suck at using a portrait QWERTY phone. Try SureType, makes your life a lot easier.
    05-31-10 12:22 PM
    Same here man. The only thing keeping me around is the potential of OS6. But if it's a dud. I'm done with BB or might just go back to my 8830 which didnt have nearly as many problems with 1/8 the memory and a much older OS.
    Don't hold your breath. OS6 won't save this phone. Just look at the vids of it on youtube. Its the same damn thing.

Its simply too slow in the hardware dept. Go play with a Droid Incredible and you'll see what your phone experience COULD be like.
    05-31-10 03:26 PM
    Rly? Srsly?

Freezing: When I have to Quick-or-Battery Pull 2x a day because it hangs on a keystroke or sits there doing nothing while I'm trying to type an email for work while I'm on the road... or when it freezes while I'm on a conference call when I want to access information to submit but won't let me into the home screen or dial pad - I would say that's a little more than unacceptable.

Screen Rotations: I shouldn't have to buy something for something to fix something that works half the time.

Speakerphone: Pray-tell how does a ****** hold a phone?

Visual VMail: No amount of proper diction or proximity to the microphone will change the fact that if I want to listen to my visual voicemail while holding my phone to my ear, my skin touching the screen either resplays it or stops it completely.

Text Selection: You preface it by saying it's not the best then say it's not that hard? Maybe I need a stylus for this phone? Whaddya think? Will that help me copy-and-paste from one email to another?

Screen Dragging: When I drag my finger across the screen expecting one result (EG: Google maps scrolling or even the Not-that-hard txt selection only to be greeted by it swiping to the next message) and not getting that result... over and over and over again.

Typing: Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the onscreen QWERTY consider this isn't my first time using one, and I don't seem to be alone here in thinking that after what I've read.

Like I've said in the past and to people who I tell to avoid the Storm 2: The most maddening thing about it is that it's SO close to being an amazing phone, but for what I can only fathom as Corporate Laziness, never quite makes it.

Officials usually suck, btw. Just tossing that out there. (320 and 607, anyone?) Most of the issues just make you sound like you don't know wtf you're doing when you use your phone.

Random screen rotations; It's called an accelerometer. Buy LockTilt for the whopping 2 dollars and stop it from ever happening again.

Speakerphone turning on at random; Some OS' had this issue, but it mostly happens when you hold the phone like a ****** and it's sideways, or you're lying down on the phone.

Text Selection; definitely not saying it's the best but it's not really that hard.

Screen Dragging; I don't even know wtf this means. You already mentioned lagging so unless you lean out your car door and scrape it along the ground, I'm not sure what this is referring to.

Horrendous typing; crazy idea, you might suck at using a portrait QWERTY phone. Try SureType, makes your life a lot easier.
    05-31-10 05:15 PM
    Its simply too slow in the hardware dept. Go play with a Droid Incredible and you'll see what your phone experience COULD be like.
    I hate you... I almost got over the envy of not being able to have one.

The HTC 4G Evo ain't too shabby either.
    05-31-10 05:16 PM

hey! I'm not a fanboy! But sometimes people take true problems and amplify it to a point that they water down their entire argument! The only part I agree with is the coy/paste problem. Other than that, everything you mentioned doesnt hold water and in my opinion, is all user error.

As for the speaker going on random, it only happens when your on the charger and hold the phone in landscape (e.g laying down). Its not a flaw, its a software implimentation. RIM figured if the phone would be on a charger in landscape, it would be on a dock so they tried to make it easier where it switches on its own rather than you having to change anything.
    06-01-10 05:47 AM
    is all user error.
    The MOST ridiculous thing that I have ever read! I guess that these are all user error also:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/st...t-here-349300/
    06-01-10 05:55 AM
    Rly? Srsly?

Freezing: When I have to Quick-or-Battery Pull 2x a day because it hangs on a keystroke or sits there doing nothing while I'm trying to type an email for work while I'm on the road... or when it freezes while I'm on a conference call when I want to access information to submit but won't let me into the home screen or dial pad - I would say that's a little more than unacceptable.
    If you actually only run 5 apps, there is absolutely zero reason your phone should be lagging this much. I have over 40 apps installed on my phone, and 8 of them run constantly, and I've experienced this maybe once or twice in BBM.

Screen Rotations: I shouldn't have to buy something for something to fix something that works half the time.
    It works all the time. This is clearly a sign of someone who either a) doesn't understand how an accelerometer works, or b) you bought this phone knowing NOTHING going in. When you turn the phone past a certain degree from straight, it goes landscape. Not that difficult to manage. Thousands of people do it daily. I suggested an app because you seem to have difficulty holding your phone straight while you type, leading me to believe you have womanly wrists that bend from the slightest wind.

Speakerphone: Pray-tell how does a ****** hold a phone?
    Apparently however you're holding it. Unless you're doing zero gravity (or again, like I said earlier, you're holding the phone sideways while you use it, there is no reason it should be switching on the speakerphone.

Visual VMail: No amount of proper diction or proximity to the microphone will change the fact that if I want to listen to my visual voicemail while holding my phone to my ear, my skin touching the screen either resplays it or stops it completely.
    It seems to be incredibly difficult for you to think outside the box, so let me try to help you out. Now this is a bold, life changing idea, but we'll give it a shot.

Try holding the phone SLIGHTLY (1mm) away from your face / ear.

Text Selection: You preface it by saying it's not the best then say it's not that hard? Maybe I need a stylus for this phone? Whaddya think? Will that help me copy-and-paste from one email to another?
    Yes, as in there is better out there, but that doesn't mean that a child couldn't easily select text on a Storm. And maybe you do, seeing as you have some kind of hand deficiences going on that make using this phone for you more difficult than brain surgery.

Screen Dragging: When I drag my finger across the screen expecting one result (EG: Google maps scrolling or even the Not-that-hard txt selection only to be greeted by it swiping to the next message) and not getting that result... over and over and over again.
    Again, ground-breaking stuff...Don't swipe so far. Or don't pull your finger off the screen until what you want moved / selected IS moved or selected. I seriously cannot believe you have such a giant deficit in problem solving skills.

Typing: Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the onscreen QWERTY consider this isn't my first time using one, and I don't seem to be alone here in thinking that after what I've read.
    I can see how this is relevant. For every 10 people you find complaining about SurePress or the keyboard, I guarantee I could find 25 that DON'T have any issues and don't just throw the phone on the floor and throw a hissy fit the second it doesn't work EXACTLY the way they want it to.

Like I've said in the past and to people who I tell to avoid the Storm 2: The most maddening thing about it is that it's SO close to being an amazing phone, but for what I can only fathom as Corporate Laziness, never quite makes it.
    Most of your issues are your own, (I can vouch for several people when I say there is a lot of us who DON'T have these issues) but I guess blaming the phone is that much easier. Yes, I'm aware other people have the same issue, but these aren't exactly hard to duplicate. If I taped my fingers together, I'm sure I'd have problems swiping too. You make adjustments to the device, the device doesn't make adjustments to you.
    06-01-10 07:35 AM
    The thing is, as someone already pointed out, it could very well easily be a batch problem. I am on my second storm 2 (the first got robbed off me) and im simply having the time of my life. Apart from the sheer, mindblowing elegance of the phone, i find using it a dream. The copy/paste issue stayed with me the whole 2 days it took me to bank my learning curve on how to interact with the phone...and i have never seen it since. What ppl dont seem to realize is that this is a touchscreen phone, and not just an unresponsive, dummy glass affair...it is reactive. You need to touch and swipe it just right to get the results you want.

My two storms 2 worked beautifully... i have no complaints except in the battery drain department... and with the volume of use i subject my phone to, it would be buggy if the battery didnt zap

Im not discounting the issue-prone copies, im just saying that you could have been unlucky to have gotten the defective ones. The Storm 2 is a beautiful phone, i guarantee you that... as a two-time user.
    Last edited by mindthing; 06-01-10 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Correction
    06-01-10 08:19 AM
    ^ ^ ^ I'm glad someone said exactly what I was talking about! You have to learn to work the phone, the phone doesn't adjust to work for you! This isn't "FlexOS".

The copy/paste issue stayed with me the whole 2 days it took me to bank my learning curve on how to interact with the phone...and i have never seen it since. What ppl dont seem to realize is that this is a touchscreen phone, and not just an unresponsive, dummy glass affair...it is reactive. You need to touch and swipe it just right to get the results you want.
    06-01-10 08:23 AM
    [snip] This isn't "FlexOS".

LOL! Very good!
    06-01-10 09:11 AM
    I'm not gonna bash cause I like my Storm 2. But I've been playing with the Droid for 4 days now and it's years ahead and they came out around the same time. I'm gonna see if there is more improvments in Software and Hardware instead of pushing out more of the same. I think thats what make most of us so mad with Rim. Stop pushing out devices and fix the good ones you have...IMO
    06-01-10 10:57 AM
    Stop pushing out devices and fix the good ones you have...IMO
    I'm a bit confused--if a device is "good", why does it need fixing?
    06-01-10 10:59 AM
    People act like Androids have no issues. My girlfriend and I got new phones about a month ago. I got a Storm 2 which has been flawless and she got an Android. She does PR work and went to Vegas this weekend for work/pleasure. She had to meet up with around 50 people when we got there. Problem was, on the way there, all of her contacts and email vanished from her phone. She contacted Verizon and they said wait 24 hours for everything to re-sync. Took about 48 hours (she has several thousand contacts). Was a major pain in the *** meeting up with these people and a lot of money was on the line that she would of had to eat. Android is great but not perfect.
    06-01-10 02:40 PM
    People act like Androids have no issues. My girlfriend and I got new phones about a month ago. I got a Storm 2 which has been flawless and she got an Android. She does PR work and went to Vegas this weekend for work/pleasure. She had to meet up with around 50 people when we got there. Problem was, on the way there, all of her contacts and email vanished from her phone. She contacted Verizon and they said wait 24 hours for everything to re-sync. Took about 48 hours (she has several thousand contacts). Was a major pain in the *** meeting up with these people and a lot of money was on the line that she would of had to eat. Android is great but not perfect.
    amen to that. android forums are full of complaints, workarounds, etc, just like any other platform. Seems many people think the grass truly is "greener" on the "other" side--hence they are always looking for something they think will be better than what they've got. they buy into the hype, before investigating what problems a product they are unfamiliar with, might have. Take for example, the way many new buyers of the Droid were caught unaware that no android phone can do bluetooth voice dialing (via the method required by California, and other states, when driving)
    06-01-10 03:11 PM
    ^ ^ ^ I'm glad someone said exactly what I was talking about! You have to learn to work the phone, the phone doesn't adjust to work for you! This isn't "FlexOS".
    So in other words, we need to get better at using a really terrible phone. K thx

06-02-10 12:52 AM
    So in other words, we need to get better at using a really terrible phone. K thx

Normally, one would make the determination that something isn't up to their standards and take advantage of any return policy that would enable them to exchange one product for another instead of suffering through a contract period. Verizon has such policies, so why put up with "getting better at using a really terrible phone" when one could simply ask them to exchange it for something that meets expectations.
    I note this post says "we" as if all S2 owners have "really terrible phones", which is false. It would be nice if, when a complaint about any device is made, the individual making the statement made use of possessive phrases such as "I have" and "mine is" instead of using a blanket statement like "this is" when referring to a problematic device.
    06-02-10 04:19 AM
    amen to that. android forums are full of complaints, workarounds, etc, just like any other platform. Seems many people think the grass truly is "greener" on the "other" side--hence they are always looking for something they think will be better than what they've got. they buy into the hype, before investigating what problems a product they are unfamiliar with, might have. Take for example, the way many new buyers of the Droid were caught unaware that no android phone can do bluetooth voice dialing (via the method required by California, and other states, when driving)
    Yes, every forum will have it's fair share of complaints and workarounds, but look a little deeper into what those complaints are and you will see the difference. "My screen is too stiff", "My end button barely works", "my phone takes 8 minutes to boot up", etc. And the (very overrated) bluetooth voice dialing thing has been taken care of with Froyo, for the record.
    06-02-10 05:38 AM

This post was so wrong on so many levels but also made me lol... still you're a moron! sometimes people take other peoples opinions to personally on here...lighten up guys...

IMO the storm2 sucks, well at least all 5 of my exchanges did....It's a shame really because I really liked the idea at first. My current one I've downgraded back to OS 5.0.436 because of the many issues mentioned in this thread. and NO it's not user error!

I was thinking to hold out for OS6, but honestly I can't be that bothered really, as soon as I find the time I will take pics and write an ad for Gumtree and use the money to buy out my contract. This phone just isn't for me.

anyone from London want to buy a nearly new Storm2? I have two available.
    Last edited by The Gift; 06-02-10 at 09:54 AM.
    06-02-10 09:46 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD