I think the hybrid crashes more then .8x did. But for some strange reason, people like it... even when they don't have a functioning camera in one version. I'll take .99 over any Hybrid version to date.
    I wonder if that is only happening to a few people. It hasn't froze or crashed for me yet. From reading the thread, it sounds like it is VERY stable.
    02-11-09 10:32 AM
    We all talk about how the carrier should have waited or RIM should have waited, but isn't this just the standard these days? I mean, everything seems to be released in beta first with lots of 'fixes', patches or updates released later. I mean, Gmail is still in beta and I've been using it for quite a long time now!

I just jumped over from a Bold and have noticed the same thing. When I first got my Bold, the OS wasn't that great. I've since loaded so many 'leaked' OS's on it I can't even count. Sometimes I was loading more than two a week! The Bold is finally good and the 'leaked' OS's seem to have calmed down over in that forum.

I'm suspecting we're all going through the same thing with the Storm. I'm running a hybrid of .90 and .99 (.90 for the radio) on at&t and anxiously awaiting the next 'leak'.
    02-11-09 10:37 AM
    It's overly simple in the fact that it only considers the finished product from a hindsight perspective. It doesn't take into account the many many complexities involved in designing a device like the Storm. I went over them in a bit greater detail over in the rants and raves subforum on the graphics discussion. It's too early for me to go get a link, so maybe later, or maybe some kind soul will do it for us.
    Ok i get that, and I get how business and technology work (IS for a hospital). However it just seems like this was rushed, and nobody can disagree with that. Thats all im saying. They needed to take their time test it properly, and if need be push back the release date.
    02-11-09 10:38 AM
    How is it overly simple? When people buy a product that has been hyped like this was, it needs to deliver plain and simple. Its like they didn't even do any QA before launch.
    this may be getting off topic, but this has been discussed in multiple threads in the Rants & Raves sub-forum. Some feel RIM/VZW would be damned if they did not release when promised as well. In other words, they'd still be pilloried by many if they delayed the release. The best quote, and I wish I could remember who said it to give proper credit, was that it would of been better if the initial release was labeled as an early user test model (I am blanking on the official term) for those who don't mind using those types of devices, then release it 3-6 months later. Remember, we are only approaching the 3 month mark since release in another week or so.
    02-11-09 10:43 AM
    Ok i get that, and I get how business and technology work (IS for a hospital). However it just seems like this was rushed, and nobody can disagree with that. Thats all im saying. They needed to take their time test it properly, and if need be push back the release date.
    And that ignores various market considerations. If they held it back, the market would have passed them by, it's as simple as that. They also faced the prospect of an ever souring economy world wide.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it in principle. Unfortunately the various realities of the world mean that if anything, we're going to see phones pushed out the door even earlier. It's going to take massive consumer outcry to reverse this trend, and most people are of the opinion Snork expressed, if not more so.
    02-11-09 10:45 AM
    what do you need clarified? he said the code is coming & we should like it.
    Well, what build does this "gold code" begin with? What does this "gold code" mean?

Does it mean, no more issues? Does it mean a faster OS? Does it mean flick scrolling? Does it mean other new features?

Just a little clarification is all....
    02-11-09 10:58 AM
    And that ignores various market considerations. If they held it back, the market would have passed them by, it's as simple as that. They also faced the prospect of an ever souring economy world wide.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it in principle. Unfortunately the various realities of the world mean that if anything, we're going to see phones pushed out the door even earlier. It's going to take massive consumer outcry to reverse this trend, and most people are of the opinion Snork expressed, if not more so.
    How 3-6 months make a difference in their market share? If you want to look at it like that, everybody has been trying to catch up to apple since 07, so the market passed everybody by.....
    02-11-09 10:58 AM
    Well, what build does this "gold code" begin with? What does this "gold code" mean?
    Typically "gold code" means final/shipping in programmer lingo. When a game/program is done, it's said to have "gone gold".
    Does it mean, no more issues? Does it mean a faster OS? Does it mean flick scrolling? Does it mean other new features?

Just a little clarification is all....
    if you read the thread you will understand...he was not being specific, he was saying that the future code is better.

My interpretation is that the comment was made to let us know whenever we get it we will be happy with it.

I don't believe you will get specific answers due to their NDA
    Last edited by neolantis; 02-11-09 at 11:36 AM.
    02-11-09 11:28 AM
    How 3-6 months make a difference in their market share? If you want to look at it like that, everybody has been trying to catch up to apple since 07, so the market passed everybody by.....
    Not market share, just the market in general. If they delayed the phone, they would have been lambasted by the mobile press for delaying the phone and people would have moved on to some other phone. So it's kind of a d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't for RIM. It would have been different if they had managed to keep a complete lid on all info about the Storm until they started running ads to let people know it's coming. Then they could have taken their time, really perfected the device, and just dropped a real gem onto the mobile world seemingly from out of nowhere. But that didn't happen. People here and on HoFo probably knew more about the Storm when it launched than the majority of the staff for the respective carriers.
    02-11-09 11:29 AM
    I think the hybrid crashes more then .8x did. But for some strange reason, people like it... even when they don't have a functioning camera in one version. I'll take .99 over any Hybrid version to date.
    The Hybrid hasn't crashed once for me. The third build is excellent. Everyone was told that the 2nd build (the one without the camera working) was in "alpha" stage and to be wary.
    02-11-09 12:07 PM
    hybrid crashed from me a few times already,did last batt pull a few hours ago and have been fine since.
    02-11-09 09:16 PM
    i assume though that whatever build is coming from rim and verizon its still gonna be the same user interface were with now,right? i mean the home screen all the menu pages and all that are mostly gonna be the same i assume.i would really like to see rim take this os a step further and get it closer to the fluid movement of the iphone. i like my storm alot but wouldnt mind seeing it be a little more graphically pleasing.one gripe-switching between portrait and landscape.would like to see the image roll with the spin to landscape instead of just switching quick when it hits a certain point.ya know its kinna choppy that way.fluidity is nicer.just a thought and hope i guess. if anything i really like about the iphone is its view and touch when you play with it.i dont want a iphone ,really like my storm just again hope that rim could make a best of both worlds type . i mean the storm really was designed so i thought to not be a complete business phone that traditional blackberry owners know.this was supposed to be different so why not go full bore? the technology is there right? again just a thought.
    02-11-09 09:30 PM
    also more memory for apps.again technology is there,puts a gig or two for dedicated apps or put more,whatever.
    02-11-09 09:36 PM
    i assume though that whatever build is coming from rim and verizon its still gonna be the same user interface were with now,right? i mean the home screen all the menu pages and all that are mostly gonna be the same i assume.i would really like to see rim take this os a step further and get it closer to the fluid movement of the iphone. i like my storm alot but wouldnt mind seeing it be a little more graphically pleasing.one gripe-switching between portrait and landscape.would like to see the image roll with the spin to landscape instead of just switching quick when it hits a certain point.ya know its kinna choppy that way.fluidity is nicer.just a thought and hope i guess. if anything i really like about the iphone is its view and touch when you play with it.i dont want a iphone ,really like my storm just again hope that rim could make a best of both worlds type . i mean the storm really was designed so i thought to not be a complete business phone that traditional blackberry owners know.this was supposed to be different so why not go full bore? the technology is there right? again just a thought.
    While I hate to even speculate on this, because I just know someone's going to take it as a statement of fact... It's not BTW...

I think the main thrust for this official release is addressing the performance issues that existed with .65 and .75. They want to get the device performing on a level that most people could agree is reasonable. It still probably won't please everyone, but MOST people should be pretty happy with the improved performance.

Once they get the next official release out the door for all carriers, they will MAYBE start focusing a bit more on new features.
    02-11-09 10:18 PM
    cool,i hear ya,i dont expect a complete overhaul on this next release ,would be nice but in time it will come around both hardware and software wise.i mean honestly im kinna excited to see a version 2 storm if and when it comes around.
    02-11-09 11:06 PM
    This thread has really gone off the deep end.

It started with a simple question about whether the "gold code" to which CX referred was being used in .1xx OS, etc.. or if anyone knew anything about it and it turned into a philosophical debate and a debate about market share.

How the heck did that happen?
    02-12-09 08:15 AM

It started with a simple question about whether the "gold code" to which CX referred was being used in .1xx OS, etc.. or if anyone knew anything about it and it turned into a philosophical debate and a debate about market share.

Its the crackberry way. Seriously, I think some people just like the sound of their own voices in their minds as they type.

To bring it back on topic - what is gold code. Some members have said its code which has been signed off as ready to be delivered to a prod environment. Just wondering if this is definitely the case.

Would bee good if CX could confirm.
    02-12-09 08:19 AM
    I'll give you a personal example: I was eligible to upgrade my phone with Verizon come mid-august of last year. At that point, The only blackberries available were the curve, pearl and 8830. i didnt want the curve or pearl and if i didnt hear about the storm i probably would have gotten an 8830. if the storm kept being pushed though, and was still not out yet, i'd probably just wait for the niagara, and thus this storm would have been completely passed over.

there are other consumers who might have even left VZW for a better phone, or just waited since an even better phone was only a few months away. there really is a 'sweet spot'. it sucks for those users who have no tolerance of bugs and glitches, but if they didn't release it yet, people like myself would have just given up and started looking for the next best thing.
    02-12-09 08:24 AM
    WHOA!! Stop the presses! I did not say anything about me using the "Gold Code". I only said they(Dev Team) were close. And for those that don't know, the Gold Code is considered the finished product. In this case it would be considered the build that's basically bug free and while they will always continue to have revisions, the code is ready to go and good enough for anyone in all situations. People need to relax when it comes to these builds, and please don't put words in my mouth, because I never said I was running anything. And surely didn't say the Gold Code, which btw is a term used internally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 10:30 AM
    "Gold Code" isn't some super magical thing, it's just the version that is really ready for the masses. Just Google "'Gold Code' RIM" it's discussed by many with regard to BB OS's.
    Last edited by vtbert3; 02-12-09 at 10:51 AM.
    02-12-09 10:48 AM
    WHOA!! Stop the presses! I did not say anything about me using the "Gold Code". I only said they(Dev Team) were close. And for those that don't know, the Gold Code is considered the finished product. In this case it would be considered the build that's basically bug free and while they will always continue to have revisions, the code is ready to go and good enough for anyone in all situations. People need to relax when it comes to these builds, and please don't put words in my mouth, because I never said I was running anything. And surely didn't say the Gold Code, which btw is a term used internally.

I dont think anyone ever insinuated that you have used gold colde. Speaking for myself, I was just wanting clarification on what you meant by gold colde as you had made a reference to that term in another thread. Also, I wasnt hyped up over the potential of a new build. As I mentioned earlier, Im more interested from a programming perspective.

In any case, thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
    02-12-09 11:03 AM
    So in other words, .75 is a gold code?

02-12-09 11:04 AM
    I dont think anyone ever insinuated that you have used gold colde. Speaking for myself, I was just wanting clarification on what you meant by gold colde as you had made a reference to that term in another thread. Also, I wasnt hyped up over the potential of a new build. As I mentioned earlier, Im more interested from a programming perspective.

In any case, thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
    Yes actually on page 2 someone did say I mentioned using it. Which was the reason for my post. I did not say it, and made my post accordingly. I'm glad you're clear on the meaning now.

02-12-09 11:30 AM

Its called a discussion. In certain layers of society people actually try to talk to one another. Really. I know, its unbelievable. Ludicrous almost. Especially when someones question has been answered already, what point is it to continue on a venue that a thread has strayed upon other than to keep the rest of the forum clean of these strange things called "discussions". Funny how complaining about it always is the way to F up a thread. Whether its on or off topic. Keeping the ittybitty mouth shut and just go your own way is something that appears to be quite rare these days. Go figure huh...
    02-12-09 02:29 PM
    Little did I know I had a wife over in Amsterdam.

So let's see... Yes, dear. Whatever you say, dear. I'll go have myself taken out back and beaten, dear. Would you like my liver or spleen as a trophy, dear?

We now return you to the wife I didn't know I had berating me as is her sacred marital right.
    I'm gonna have your ***** for breakfast....
    eek that
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 02-12-09 at 05:43 PM. Reason: language
    02-12-09 02:36 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD