I noticed that CX mentioned 'gold code' in the .100 hybrid thread. Any chance anyone can elobrate on this? What is it? What does it do? Is it a complete overhaul of the old programming language? Basically any pertinent information pertaining to 'gold code' would be appreciated.
    02-11-09 06:46 AM
    +1 Great question...
    02-11-09 07:20 AM
    I dont think its anything specific. I think he was basically saying when the gold (proper working awesome) code is implemented, the storm will be what people want. I dont think its any magic/special code
    02-11-09 07:36 AM
    I dont think its any magic/special code
    Haha. No I dont think so either.

Im interested from a programming perspective more than anything else.
    02-11-09 07:54 AM
    What was the context? I didn't see the original post but "gold code" is a orthogonal CDMA modulation technique made by pairing m-sequences.
    02-11-09 08:15 AM
    Typically "gold code" means final/shipping in programmer lingo. When a game/program is done, it's said to have "gone gold".

So, without having seen the comment in question to put it into proper context, I would guess that he's saying parts of .100 will remain unchanged when the next official release comes out.

Which is actually a good thing. If they've got one or two aspects of the OS pinned down how they want it, it means they can spend more time focusing on the remaining aspects of it. But this is all speculation without having seen the comment in question or the context surrounding it.
    02-11-09 08:19 AM
    EDIT: to see it in context:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/4-...de#post1630378
    Last edited by neolantis; 02-11-09 at 08:56 AM.
    02-11-09 08:53 AM
    What was the context? I didn't see the original post but "gold code" is a orthogonal CDMA modulation technique made by pairing m-sequences.
    Typically "gold code" means final/shipping in programmer lingo. When a game/program is done, it's said to have "gone gold".

So, without having seen the comment in question to put it into proper context, I would guess that he's saying parts of .100 will remain unchanged when the next official release comes out.
    CX's comment below. Im really hoping he will drop in and provide a quick explanation as to what he meant. I have never heard the term before.

They will get it right. I know it's taken some time, but this isn't baking a cake you know? It's actually quite difficult. But the Gold Code is coming. And the device will be everything you thought when it was purchased. Just try and have some patience.
    02-11-09 08:54 AM
    I think the hybrid crashes more then .8x did. But for some strange reason, people like it... even when they don't have a functioning camera in one version. I'll take .99 over any Hybrid version to date.
    02-11-09 08:56 AM
    CX's comment below. Im really hoping he will drop in and provide a quick explanation as to what he meant. I have never heard the term before.

They will get it right. I know it's taken some time, but this isn't baking a cake you know? It's actually quite difficult. But the Gold Code is coming. And the device will be everything you thought when it was purchased. Just try and have some patience.

look above @ post #7 for the thread...
    02-11-09 08:57 AM
    Am I the only person who thinks that RIM should have gotten it right and done all of this trial and error before the phone was launched not 3 months later.
    02-11-09 08:59 AM
    Okay, so it's similar to what he's been saying all along about the Storm, just again hinting that we're rapidly approaching a new official release. I'm quite sure he doesn't know exactly when that will hit, but I bet he can offer up an educated speculation if he wanted. Though I wouldn't blame him for keeping quiet the way some people here can get. You'd swear if you could see them, there'd be foam coming out of their mouths. And they take everything literally, even if you say it MIGHT be this or COULD be that, they'll just ignore the indefinites and take it as something WILL be released on such and such date. Just like they glossed over the "target" aspect of the BGR article a few days ago.
    Am I the only person who thinks that RIM should have gotten it right and done all of this trial and error before the phone was launched not 3 months later.
    no, your one of thousands
    No, but that's an overly simple view that fails to take into account certain business and technical realities.
    02-11-09 09:00 AM
    No, but that's an overly simple view that fails to take into account certain business and technical realities.
    How is it overly simple? When people buy a product that has been hyped like this was, it needs to deliver plain and simple. Its like they didnt even do any QA before launch.
    02-11-09 09:02 AM
    "Going Gold" used to mean a program had completed beta and had been written onto a Gold disc to be sent off for mass reproduction. It's been a lot of years since I participated in a Beta testing program, so terms may have changed or morphed since then.
    02-11-09 09:04 AM
    Okay, so it's similar to what he's been saying all along about the Storm, just again hinting that we're rapidly approaching a new official release. I'm quite sure he doesn't know exactly when that will hit, but I bet he can offer up an educated speculation if he wanted. Though I wouldn't blame him for keeping quiet the way some people here can get. You'd swear if you could see them, there'd be foam coming out of their mouths. And they take everything literally, even if you say it MIGHT be this or COULD be that, they'll just ignore the indefinites and take it as something WILL be released on such and such date. Just like they glossed over the "target" aspect of the BGR article a few days ago.
    exactly...it's exciting to hear that we are getting close to an Official OS, but it certainly isn't necessary to berate people to death over it.
    02-11-09 09:04 AM
    I wish CX would clarify his comment and let us know what he meant.
    02-11-09 09:22 AM
    If they got it right 3 months ago, I wouldn't be sitting here with bb in hand and cb on screen ... and then I would be stuck dealing with my other hobbies ... like my actual job.

I recevied mine just before xmas. Each beta is like opening another gift to me.
    02-11-09 09:22 AM
    I wish CX would clarify his comment and let us know what he meant.
    what do you need clarified? he said the code is coming & we should like it.
    02-11-09 09:55 AM
    Hummmm well IMO .75/.76 version was stable, everything worked with a few exceptions. it wasn't till the beta leaks came out the instability seemed to appear. With cameras not saving, VSOD/TSOD, Media card errors ect. Then the whining started about how unstable the Storm was. RIM is taking their time, and I am confident the next official release will be a significant improvement. And RIM is not the only company that has had problems with the first generation of a new product. It is a common problem with first of model year cars to have significant issues, and how long have they been making cars??? You would think they would get that right by now. The Apple thing was far from perfect at the start, give the Storm a chance too.

just my $0.02 FWIW
    02-11-09 10:11 AM
    How is it overly simple? When people buy a product that has been hyped like this was, it needs to deliver plain and simple. Its like they didnt even do any QA before launch.
    blame verizon for wanting to push out the phone for black friday and the holiday season before rim got the 'gold code' out. otoh, you didn't have to buy the storm now. you could have always waited until the 'gold code' was released. thats your perogative.

Myself and surely many others, given the chance to have the phone in November 08 or February/March 09, (whenever this 'gold code' gets released), would still have chosen to get this phone 3 months earlier, despite the glitches and bugs in the OS.
    02-11-09 10:25 AM
    It's overly simple in the fact that it only considers the finished product from a hindsight perspective. It doesn't take into account the many many complexities involved in designing a device like the Storm. I went over them in a bit greater detail over in the rants and raves subforum on the graphics discussion. It's too early for me to go get a link, so maybe later, or maybe some kind soul will do it for us.
    02-11-09 10:25 AM
    Hummmm well IMO .75/.76 version was stable, everything worked with a few exceptions. it wasn't till the beta leaks came out the instability seemed to appear. With cameras not saving, VSOD/TSOD, Media card errors ect. Then the whining started about how unstable the Storm was. RIM is taking their time, and I am confident the next official release will be a significant improvement. And RIM is not the only company that has had problems with the first generation of a new product. It is a common problem with first of model year cars to have significant issues, and how long have they been making cars??? You would think they would get that right by now. The Apple thing was far from perfect at the start, give the Storm a chance too.

just my $0.02 FWIW
    I understand what your saying, but your not getting what im saying. And to clarify .75/.76 was not even the OS at launch. Im sorry seeing as how the OS is the engine that drives this phone it needed to be way better than it was. Like instead of building a touch screen OS, they built an OS than added touch screen. Granted apple had issues with the iphone but not nearly as many as this. I still love my storm but man they need this worked out soon!
    02-11-09 10:27 AM
    I dont think its anything specific. I think he was basically saying when the gold (proper working awesome) code is implemented, the storm will be what people want. I dont think its any magic/special code
    No, he mentioned the build he was running was the "gold code." In Sith's thread, he mentioned that Sith did a great job, but he was "moving up the elevator" and for everyone to be patient because of this "gold code" he was running.
    02-11-09 10:30 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD