11-10-09 09:58 PM
82 1234
tools
    Well from a business standpoint, you are right. It is all about money. A $550 phone, minus $175 ETF, minus 1 month of service ~$50, activation fee ~$35. You can end up with the Storm2 for less than $300 and Verizon has to eat the subsidizing cost. The move is a logical one as they most likely lose a lot of money from people opening a line just to cancel it a month later because they are already under contract.

I'm not saying it's not crazy high but it's perfectly logical from a business standpoint.
    Bingo! That is exxactly why they are doing it. People will get a free phone through BOGO and cancel the line, pay the ETF and sell the phone on EBAY. Then the V loses money. BTW, they are only raising ETF on high end phones. If you are worried about the economy, maybe you should not get a smartphone with a data plan. As for the $350, it was either that or no mor BOGO.
    11-04-09 10:43 AM
    Instead of the termination fee they should just take the phone back that was subsidized to begin with (of course that will never happen).
    Except for the dramatic drop in the value of a phone in a very short period of time. They wouldn't be recouping enough money to make that a worthwhile business decision.

Besides, what would they do with "your" (not directed at you personally) beat up phone?
    11-04-09 10:47 AM
    Sign a one year contract..
    11-04-09 10:51 AM
    If AT&T was smart, they would remove the ETF completely and make a commercial about it.

"Cancel contract? There's a bill for that"
    That would be one expensive commercial.
    11-04-09 10:54 AM
    Except for the dramatic drop in the value of a phone in a very short period of time. They wouldn't be recouping enough money to make that a worthwhile business decision.

Besides, what would they do with "your" (not directed at you personally) beat up phone?
    That's why I said it would never happen. (although I didn't actually say it in my post - I was thinking it)

I understand the 2-year commitment and early termination fee verizon Wireless has. As somebody else said, unless I plan on changing carriers it's a moot point (which I have no intention of leaving Verizon Wireless).
    11-04-09 11:04 AM
    Sign a one year contract..
    My sentiments exactly. Problem solved. (For most)
    11-04-09 11:10 AM
    It kills me when people say, "well if people weren't trying to take advantage of Verizon, then we wouldn't have this problem." Hey, it's not our fault Verizon left a loop hole that people were able to take advantage of. Therefore, no one was ripping them off at all. All this crap about Verizon is losing money on these devices is b.s. All this is taken into consideration before they purchase this devices and set the price, if you don't believe so, then why do you think carriers came up with an ETF in the first place. This is all about keeping customers locked in, not them losing money over devices. AT&T is gaining a ton of customers and with Sprint's and T-Mobile's new phone plans, they see that there is a good chance they could lose more customers. They're coverage is good, but in this economy people are worried about saving money, not "there's a map for that."
    11-04-09 11:31 AM
    No its ridiculous because its ridiculous. What if I decide to move? The place i move to has no Verizon coverage... BOOM 350 thanks and come again.

Its ridiculous, case closed.
    If you move where there is verifiably no coverage I believe tket cannot enforce the disconnect fee due to they are the ones not providing service.
    A few years ago some friends moved into the hills near Bakersfield nd tmobile had to let them out of a 3 phone family plan because their billing address was in a no coverage zone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 11:36 AM
    It kills me when people say, "well if people weren't trying to take advantage of Verizon, then we wouldn't have this problem." Hey, it's not our fault Verizon left a loop hole that people were able to take advantage of. Therefore, no one was ripping them off at all. All this crap about Verizon is losing money on these devices is b.s. All this is taken into consideration before they purchase this devices and set the price, if you don't believe so, then why do you think carriers came up with an ETF in the first place. This is all about keeping customers locked in, not them losing money over devices. AT&T is gaining a ton of customers and with Sprint's and T-Mobile's new phone plans, they see that there is a good chance they could lose more customers. They're coverage is good, but in this economy people are worried about saving money, not "there's a map for that."
    "Hey, it's not our fault Verizon left a loop hole that people were able to take advantage of."

Who said it was your fualt? And if you dont break your contract early then you never have to worry about it. Not seeing what your issue is.
    11-04-09 11:52 AM
    Ha you guys moaning about $350 to end your contract early...im here in the UK and i have a 24mth contract with Vodafone...guess how much they told me that id have to pay to end my contract???...600 which is roughly $995...so you guys have it easy...we get screwed here in the UK with things like that and we also dont get to upgrade until the last mth of our contracts...

Rip off UK is where i live.
    11-04-09 12:07 PM
    No its ridiculous because its ridiculous. What if I decide to move? The place i move to has no Verizon coverage... BOOM 350 thanks and come again.

If you move and you have no service and verizon can confirm this you will not be charged a etf. on another note everyone sounds so suprised but when people do all these crazy things to avoid a etf you don't think they are going to make sure they are covered and not getting ripped off?

11-04-09 12:22 PM

IF you move to a place with no coverage, verizon waves the ETF. Plus, if you read everything, the ETF decreases by $10 a month. ALL cellphone providers in the US have ETFs. Plus, if you buy before the 15th you are bound by the terms from now..
    11-04-09 12:27 PM
    That's why I said it would never happen. (although I didn't actually say it in my post - I was thinking it)

I understand the 2-year commitment and early termination fee verizon Wireless has. As somebody else said, unless I plan on changing carriers it's a moot point (which I have no intention of leaving Verizon Wireless).
    Fair enough. I wasn't trying to argue with you, just trying to add to the discussion.
    11-04-09 01:12 PM
    So if I go buy the storm 2 today and then cancel it in 31 days and pay the etf. I won't have to pay the $350 cause i got it before the 15th?
    11-04-09 01:26 PM
    All who complain about this sound like whiny closet iphone users. Steve Jobs might have an opening for you...

11-04-09 01:55 PM
    What they should do is charge your CC the diff between the phone price as an upgrade and the sticker price if you cancel your contract early, and charge the old ETF. Some 3rd party companies do that (Amazon, I got 2 free Pearls back when they were hot, but it was like $250 if I disconnected that phone from that line of service within 6 months). I think RIM charged the carriers about $400 for the phone up front a couple years ago. iPhones too.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 11-04-09 at 02:09 PM.
    11-04-09 02:07 PM
    Verizon looking to bump early termination fee to $350 on 'advanced' devices

Now that is some major BS. Verizon might have better coverage, but they are turning into NAZIS...

No more contract purchases for your average user... just go monthly and pay for the phone....
    I'm the the vzw business. I agree with the outrage about this increase. However, most people are speaking angrilly without understanding the reason behind it.

We all love it when VZW puts out crazy deals like the BOGO (Buy1 Get1) deal on BB's. Now many many "smart" customer abuse this. They'll buy two but immediately disconnect one BB and put a regular phone in its place that doesn't require the data package. Screw that, they'll even disconnect both and use regular phones. Now that customer can easily get 400 - 500 a piece for a brand spanking new storm in the box and everything.

My point, Blackberrys ARE EXPENSIVE. Some of you may think vzw pays pennies for them. WRONG. VZW pays big bucks to BB. If you are getting the BB S2 for 280 - 100 MIR remember that's a subsidised price to get you to sign for two years and assume that you will be paying for a data package for two years. VZW is paying at least $500 per unit. Believe it or not. That's what it costs Big bad VZW. Now the larger cancellation fee on these advanced devices makes sense to prevent VZW from taking losses and the MANY customers who pull those moves. VZW is number one and financially sound for a reason. They are not stupid! They put a stop to any shrinkage soon. I know this, I'm in the business myself as an authorized dealer.

I'd like to give a more detailed explanation but i'm tired of typing this lol..
    11-04-09 02:22 PM
    Thats some BULLLLLL SH*T. Yes its a smart move on verizons part, but it may also make people think about jumping ship to another carrier.
    11-04-09 02:29 PM
    What they should do is charge your CC the diff between the phone price as an upgrade and the sticker price if you cancel your contract early, and charge the old ETF. Some 3rd party companies do that (Amazon, I got 2 free Pearls back when they were hot, but it was like $250 if I disconnected that phone from that line of service within 6 months). I think RIM charged the carriers about $400 for the phone up front a couple years ago. iPhones too.
    I think that would be even more expensive to customers. Isnt the S2 like 550full retail? If you paid 179 then you would be charged 360 bucks. At least with the ETF, it drops 10 bucks a month.
    11-04-09 02:31 PM
    Are we forgetting that this is voluntary? I mean, its not like they hold a gun to your head and make you sign the contract. Sure, Tmo has there EM+ plan, but guess what, you pay full price for the phone. Just wait, all carriers are going to stop subsidizing phones. People are to irresponsible and needy nowadays, I say good for them. Get their money up front instead of sort of financing it for you in a shady way. You pay a penalty for every other contract in life you don't uphold, why should phones be different? Because you're special?

Just remember there are two very different definitions of special

11-04-09 02:39 PM
    woooooo we that is steep guess im stuck with verizon for the next two years, lucky for me i love my storm 2
    11-04-09 02:47 PM
    And people scamming their system is not ridiculous?
    11-04-09 02:52 PM
    How does it not make sense? They, like any other company, created a policy. If you don't like it, then you don't do business with that company.

And of course it's all about making/not losing money - they're a BUSINESS. That's their purpose.

And if you were to move where VZW doesn't have coverage there are several ways to get out of your contract.

I'm WAY too young to be this angry about the sense of entitlement people have...so knock it off.

OK GOD
    11-04-09 02:52 PM
    Ok, here is a serious question-
    If i signed up 2 new contracts on the storm2 release date.
    and obviously it's still within the 30 day when the new nov15th policy will kick in, how long do we have to "opt-out?"
    11-04-09 02:54 PM
    Ok, here is a serious question-
    If i signed up 2 new contracts on the storm2 release date.
    and obviously it's still within the 30 day when the new nov15th policy will kick in, how long do we have to "opt-out?"
    30 days. After that you would pay the ETF of 175 since you signed up before the new policy kicked in.
    11-04-09 02:56 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD