Verizon looking to bump early termination fee to $350 on 'advanced' devices

Now that is some major BS. Verizon might have better coverage, but they are turning into NAZIS...

No more contract purchases for your average user... just go monthly and pay for the phone....
    11-04-09 09:48 AM
    Wow that is really ridiculous. It always seems like Verizon is breaking some kind of law somewhere.
    11-04-09 09:50 AM
    Just get it before the 15th, jeez.

The BOGO ends the 7th anyways.
    11-04-09 09:51 AM
    Just get it before the 15th, jeez.
    If I get it before the 15th, I get to pay AT&T's disconnect fee. And your reply is ridiculous... Has nothing to do with ANYTHING for people who are considering Verizon at some point before years end. 350 bucks is RIDICULOUS...
    11-04-09 09:52 AM
    It's only ridiculous if you don't plan to keep your phone and carrier
    11-04-09 09:53 AM
    No its ridiculous because its ridiculous. What if I decide to move? The place i move to has no Verizon coverage... BOOM 350 thanks and come again.

Its ridiculous, case closed.
    11-04-09 09:56 AM
    I think any disconnect fee is ridiculous, no matter if it's $200 or $350. That's reason enough for me to keep my contract until the end date because you're essentially just giving VZW or AT&T your cash for leaving. I like my money and don't see how breaking the contract would benefit me under any circumstances.

If you don't like it, complain to VZW!
    11-04-09 09:57 AM
    LMAO, I don't know whether you said what you said because of my avatar or not, but I still find it hilarious.

And it's not a static fee, it drops each month you have service. Some providers will allow a cancellation of contract if you move and are unable to get service. You can sell the phone and it would cover the ETF. Lot's of options other than to whine.

And have you not seen the ad? There's a map for that.
    11-04-09 09:58 AM
    Thats fcking rediculous are serious?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! Your telling me they have to basically buy a new deice to cancel plan? As if the economy isnt bad enough they should be lowering cancellation fees. Its their way of keeping you with verizon. I love the V, but sometimes they are fcked up with the way they do things. Its all about money in the end.
    11-04-09 10:00 AM
    Well from a business standpoint, you are right. It is all about money. A $550 phone, minus $175 ETF, minus 1 month of service ~$50, activation fee ~$35. You can end up with the Storm2 for less than $300 and Verizon has to eat the subsidizing cost. The move is a logical one as they most likely lose a lot of money from people opening a line just to cancel it a month later because they are already under contract.

I'm not saying it's not crazy high but it's perfectly logical from a business standpoint.
    11-04-09 10:03 AM
    Luckily I got my Storm 2 before this takes effect. So sometimes wouldn't it just be cheaper to allow an early upgrade to keep the customer happy and under contract? I opened a new line. I haven't decided if I want to cancel it yet or have an emergency phone around. But $350 is pretty high.
    11-04-09 10:07 AM
    It's a strong incentive to run your contract to the end. If you don't leave VZW then it's moot! But if you look at what they are charging for smartphones on contract you can kind of understand why they would do this. A few would buy the phone under contract then ETF the contract and keep the device an another carrier. Potentially VZW could be out the difference of the device cost with no service to cover that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 10:10 AM
    Totally logical move by Verizon. The other carriers will soon follow IMO.

Doesnt mean I like it.
    11-04-09 10:11 AM
    ya and they hiked the insurance rate and the deductable up as well.. was $5.99 for the higher insurance now its $7.99 or $8.99 and deductable was 50 now its 90..that just made me love my storm1 alil more.. new contract for me........NOT!!!!!! with 5.0 its like a new phone anyways. zero leak.. i love it
    11-04-09 10:13 AM
    They probably adopted that $89 deductible from Alltel
    11-04-09 10:14 AM
    No its ridiculous because its ridiculous. What if I decide to move? The place i move to has no Verizon coverage... BOOM 350 thanks and come again.

Woah, relax.

Sure it is ridiculous, but if people (many of whom are on these boards) were not trying to rip VZW off by using the BOGO program to get an extra phone, cancel the line and then turn around and sell the phone to make a profit, this wouldnt even be an issue.

Also the ETF decreases by $10 for every month that you pay your bill. ETF fees are normal because you signed a contract with the company. If there was no such thing as the ETF you would not even be able to leave a service provider until the end of your contract. The ETF, like it or not, makes sense for all parties involved because it provides security for the carriers and options for the subscribers.

Dont like it? Nobody is forcing you to have a cell phone.
    11-04-09 10:18 AM
    T Its all about money in the end.
    Of course it is all about the money; they are a business and they seek to make a profit.

Regardless of how anyone feels about ETFs, which, yes, are a pain for the consumer, Verizon was losing money on people taking advantage of BOGO devices and then canceling their plans immediately. These devices are all heavily subsidized compared to what they pay for them from the manufacturer. So they just established a penalty for screwing them on the subsidized phone. And yes, it sucks if you move and have to terminate your contract.
    11-04-09 10:19 AM
    The current ETF reduction per month is $5, btw. It changes on the 15th like you mentioned, to $10. I'm thinking of ETF my MiFi and pay "as you go" $15 per day, as needed. Right now I'm paying $60/mo for MiFi. That's hard to swallow, now that I'm paying $60 for 2 S2's data plans--monthly bill is now near $200.
    11-04-09 10:20 AM
    Totally logical move by Verizon. The other carriers will soon follow IMO.

Doesnt mean I like it.
    Exactly.. one of the few mature posts in this thread.

Its only logical they are doing this when people are buying and opening up more lines than they need and then selling the phones and canceling the lines, causing Verizon to actually lose money.

Read BoyGeniusReport's article and see its only logical..
    11-04-09 10:20 AM
    You shouldn't blame Verizon for this. Some people are always looking for ways to cheat them. Apparently, a few people are using the BOGO to make money on eBay because $175 doesn't come close to the real price of the phone. Verizon is smart not to subsidize a phone to a non subscriber.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 10:21 AM
    Of course it is all about the money; they are a business and they seek to make a profit.

Regardless of how anyone feels about ETFs, which, yes, are a pain for the consumer, Verizon was losing money on people taking advantage of BOGO devices and then canceling their plans immediately. These devices are all heavily subsidized compared to what they pay for them from the manufacturer. So they just established a penalty for screwing them on the subsidized phone. And yes, it sucks if you move and have to terminate your contract.
    If you move somewhere that they truley can't provide service they wave the ETF anyway.
    11-04-09 10:22 AM
    How does it not make sense? They, like any other company, created a policy. If you don't like it, then you don't do business with that company.

And of course it's all about making/not losing money - they're a BUSINESS. That's their purpose.

And if you were to move where VZW doesn't have coverage there are several ways to get out of your contract.

I'm WAY too young to be this angry about the sense of entitlement people have...so knock it off.
    11-04-09 10:23 AM

The last time I sold phones for Verizon, if you moved somewhere there was not service, they would cancel for you with NO ETF. However, this may have changed, that was almost 3 years ago.
    11-04-09 10:26 AM
    Instead of the termination fee they should just take the phone back that was subsidized to begin with (of course that will never happen).
    11-04-09 10:33 AM
    If AT&T was smart, they would remove the ETF completely and make a commercial about it.

"Cancel contract? There's a bill for that"
    11-04-09 10:37 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD