As the title suggests, I'll be going to Cancun for spring break on Sunday !!

I can't wait, but what process do I have to go through to get my Storm to work in Mexico? Do I have to call Verizon to do anything or does it just transfer over since I have a SIM card in it?
    03-05-09 11:51 AM
    The story is called "roaming".
    03-05-09 12:23 PM
    Well cancun uses cdma so ur sim card probably won't be in use, but what you need to do is call vzw and have IDIAL feature added and *228 option 2 your phone before you leave the US, if u were going to a gsm based country you would need to called Verizon global support team and have your sim card activated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 12:25 PM
    So I'll be able to connect to the VZW network when I land regardless? It'll only be roaming charges? I figured since it was out of the Country something else would be needed.
    03-05-09 12:26 PM
    Well cancun uses cdma so ur sim card probably won't be in use, but what you need to do is call vzw and have IDIAL feature added and *228 option 2 your phone before you leave the US, if u were going to a gsm based country you would need to called Verizon global support team and have your sim card activated

Thanks for the info! Does setting up the IDIAL feature cost anything additional? Or is it just by the minute? And do you know anything about how much the text messaging rates go up?
    03-05-09 12:27 PM
    IDIAL is free it jus keeps theives from stealing your phone and running up you bill with international calls, out if the 50 states and puerto rico roaming charges vary by country but calls in cancun will be .99 per min txts r .50sent .05 received. all this info and more is at verizon wirelesscom/international

03-05-09 12:35 PM
    Does it matter? From the sounds of it you'll be mugged and have your phone stolen in Mexico anyway.
    03-05-09 12:38 PM
    IDIAL is free it jus keeps theives from stealing your phone and running up you bill with international calls, out if the 50 states and puerto rico roaming charges vary by country but calls in cancun will be .99 per min txts r .50sent .05 received. all this info and more is at verizon wirelesscom/international

Thanks for the info, mate!

Does it matter? From the sounds of it you'll be mugged and have your phone stolen in Mexico anyway.
    I'll take my chances
    03-05-09 12:54 PM
    As the title suggests, I'll be going to Cancun for spring break on Sunday !!

I can't wait, but what process do I have to go through to get my Storm to work in Mexico? Do I have to call Verizon to do anything or does it just transfer over since I have a SIM card in it?
    Im going there too in 2 weeks...over there so many americans go that there's probably verizon towers, you just have to pay extra fees since you're outside of america...i dont think you need anything more for your phone.
    03-05-09 01:18 PM
    they're not Verizon towers. Verizon is a U.S. carrier - not Mexico, or any other country, carrier. If it were Verizon towers, you wouldn't pay anything for roaming. The term "roaming" basically means you're outside your normal calling area. Verizon has an agreement with - in this case Mexico - carriers to allow us to use their towers for signal... which is why we pay a premium for using it.

Also keep in mind that your plan basically doesn't count down there - you pay per minute/message regardless of whether your plan includes mobile to mobile, night & weekend, unlim sms/mms, etc.
    03-05-09 01:30 PM
    I think it's more likely they just kill you and hold your storm for ransom.
    03-05-09 01:41 PM
    You may want to call up Global Support and have them switch you to the Global Email plan. This way, you get unlimited data on the phone itself while in Mexico. When you get back home, just call back up to switch it back to your regular plan.
    03-05-09 01:43 PM
    You may want to call up Global Support and have them switch you to the Global Email plan. This way, you get unlimited data on the phone itself while in Mexico. When you get back home, just call back up to switch it back to your regular plan.
    It's pro-rated as well. I think its $20/month extra but you only pay for the time you are overseas.. so not too shabby.
    03-05-09 01:48 PM
    So, it is 99 cents a minute in Canada and Mexico no matter if you are calling within the country or out of the country? There is no way to get a reduced rate?
    03-05-09 02:07 PM
    So, it is 99 cents a minute in Canada and Mexico no matter if you are calling within the country or out of the country? There is no way to get a reduced rate?
    Only other way is if you unlock your storm (which you can do yourself by calling VZW, as long as you've been a customer for 60 days or longer they will give you the code no problem) After you have it unlocked you can get a pre-paid sim in Mexico or order one before you go. you wont have access to your data plan or anything though unless you get one via the prepaid plan.
    03-05-09 03:54 PM
    Canada roaming is $.69/min.

the easiest way to find the rates is www.vzw.com/international
    03-05-09 04:24 PM
    Verizon is not charging you. The Mexican cell phone company is. Verizon just passes the cost along to you
    03-05-09 06:00 PM
    I just got back from playa del carmen myself. Used the phone in both cancun and playa.... .99c a min. only way to get a reduced rate. Do what I did. Unlock your phone and get a local sim card in town. Brings it down to about .20c a min to us and a. telcel was the carrier
    03-05-09 06:03 PM
    So I'll be able to connect to the VZW network when I land regardless? It'll only be roaming charges? I figured since it was out of the Country something else would be needed.
    Here's what I did before going to Playa del Carmen (about 50 miles south of Cancun) Mexico last month.

I called Verizon and had my plan changed to the global for the time I was there. It was done automatically for me. They prorate the cost so it adds about $16/week for unlimited data. The plan changed back without me having to call when I returned.

You will be charged $.50 for each text message and $.99 for each call made or received.

My latest bill included the charges and was about $50 more for the week including everything. I used my browser by the pool at the hotel all week.
    03-05-09 06:09 PM
    Here's what I did before going to Playa del Carmen (about 50 miles south of Cancun) Mexico last month.

I called Verizon and had my plan changed to the global for the time I was there. It was done automatically for me. They prorate the cost so it adds about $16/week for unlimited data. The plan changed back without me having to call when I returned.

You will be charged $.50 for each text message and $.99 for each call made or received.

My latest bill included the charges and was about $50 more for the week including everything. I used my browser by the pool at the hotel all week.
    Like a .99 cent fee just for picking up then the .65 cents a minute it says on Verizons site?

Im planning on going to Thailand this summer, how would I go about buying a pre-paid SIM?
    03-05-09 06:23 PM
    I just got back from Cancun with my Storm. I did the following:

Called Verizon and told them I was going to Mexico and asked for the unlock code for my storm so I could use a prepaid sim. They transferred me to the international department, and unlocked my storm.

I signed up for the Verizon international data plan, which automatically terminated the day I came home. It was $1.29 a day, I used data all week with no problems at all.

I used the cdma service in Cancun, Verizon charged me .99 cents per minute. I also tried a prepaid sim from Telcel. It worked fine too, but was close to .99 cents per minute, so I just stuck with cdma.

So, get your storm unlocked if you want to use a prepaid sim, but I would just stick with cdma and get a pro rated verizon international data plan added to your account while you are gone.

I asked everybody back home to just IM me to save minutes and called and checked my voicemail 4 times. Total damage on my bill was $16. Awesome.
    03-05-09 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD