At the end of July my family and I will be taking a trip to Canada to go fishing/hiking. What do I need to do to be able to use my Storm while I'm there? Will I have to make any changes to my Verizon plan?
    05-27-09 12:53 AM
    Maybe a long distance calling or text plan. Other than that your phone will work fine.
    05-27-09 01:03 AM
    Ok I read somewhere that people like to purchase pre paid sim cards from the country they will be traveling to. What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing that?
    05-27-09 01:04 AM
    Hahler...

I recently went to the Netherlands..and used my storm there. What you do is you go to your local VZW store, or call them. Tell them you want to switch to the "GLOBAL" blackberry plan....what this does, is allows your data global access. The only charges i incurred, were roaming for calls...and i think ONE of my text messages was considered "international"... when you get back, switch back to the same BB plan you had...

when i did this, i was told the ONLY charges (besides the increase in the data plan) i would see...were roaming...and international text charges... it all depends on what towers you manage to hit.

You can P.M. me, or shoot me an IM if you want to ask any questions...but that's what i did.... i was planning on using it if i made a trip to canada, as well....

fyi...my bill went up a total of 20 bucks for the weeks usage ($9 of which was roaming phone calls)
    05-27-09 01:15 AM
    Right on. I will stop by Verizon next time I get a chance. Thanks a lot!
    05-27-09 01:25 AM
    I live near Detroit, Michigan, so I'm in Canada quite a lot (drinking age is lower lol). I've always used my phone across the border and never had any issues like extra charges or anything. The only weird thing is that sometimes txt messages show up as "international txt" on my bill, but they didn't charge extra.

I'm sure it may be different by plan, but as someone that never added any type of international things to my plan, it works just fine.
    05-27-09 02:15 AM
    You definitely need to add some sort of international plan. My brother was there for a day coming home from a road trip and we had an extra $200 on our bill from calls, texts and data he used there. He didn't even use a lot. The roaming charges are expensive and add up quickly.

I'd like to add in too that unlike many stupid people on this site, we didn't try to dispute the charges or try to get an international plan backdated to cover it. My brother didn't know he'd be charged extra (he's on my plan) and he didn't tell me he was in Canada because he was surprising us by driving home early from CA. We accepted that he made a mistake and paid the charges on the next bill.

Too many people here don't accept responsibility for their actions and its sad.

Anyway, sorry to the OP for my little rant.

Definitely talk to someone at verizon about your options before your vacation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 04:11 AM
    Don't bother getting a SIM card for travel to Canada. Verizon roams off of Telus (and Telus roams off of Verizon in the US) and you'll have coverage everywhere that Telus and Bell have coverage. The only thing I'd recommend is to check roaming rates like others have stated. If you intend to make a lot of phone calls, add a plan (Verizon has one that is decent for travel to Canada if memory serves), otherwise text messaging works North America wide so if you have a text messaging plan, you can use text messaging no problem. Data is also cheap thanks to the BlackBerry network. I was in Orlando for WES and total data charges came to $11 CAD with all my emails and using BB Messenger all the time (I didn't use the browser much though). And that was at $8/MB for data roaming.

As to plugs, etc., us Canadians use the exact same plugs as the US, so don't worry...

P.S. I don't know if you're going to the Queen Charlottes for fishing, but if you are, definitely don't bother with SIM cards. Rogers coverage is spotty at best there.
    Last edited by Krypto; 05-27-09 at 04:32 AM.
    05-27-09 04:30 AM
    My second home is Canada. Here's what you need:
    1. If you use a lot of data, you may consider upgrading to the international data plan.
    2. Phone will work, but you'll have to pay roaming.

You don't need to do anything with the SIM card or call Verizon for access. You'll have automatic access once you cross.
    05-27-09 05:17 AM
    VZW has plans that include Canada as well.
    05-27-09 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD