Hey everyone,

I am going to Aruba for Spring break with the family and I wanted to know how I go about activating my Storm so I can still receive data. I plan on calling VZW but I wanted to know about pricing/experiences from you guys. Let me know!

Thanks
    03-07-09 04:35 PM
    Suntan lotion and lotsa jimmys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 04:37 PM
    Haha, I got that.
    03-07-09 04:49 PM
    you can do a couple things.
    1) call verizon, tell them you're going overseas. you can get an international plan for the time you are there.

OR

2) call verizon, have them unlock your phone (they will do this if you've been a customer for 60 days or longer) this way you can get a pre-paid sim while you are there. it may be cheaper depending on what you need your phone for (data, just for emergencies or business) but thats for you to decide.

heres a prepaid sim for example

Aruba SIM Card - Prepaid cell phone service for travelers
    03-07-09 04:50 PM
    What do you need to do? I think that's pretty obvious, drink booze, get wasted, have sex and be crazy.
    03-07-09 04:51 PM
    What do you need to do? I think that's pretty obvious, drink booze, get wasted, have sex and be crazy.
    Haha, well that stuff among other things. (and of course, sex ONLY with the girlfriend lol)

I am going to be needing data while I am there. Looks like I'll be giving a call to VZW, but that prepaid SIM card is a good idea.
    03-07-09 04:56 PM
    Suntan lotion and lotsa jimmys

damn. You beat me to the smart reply!!!
    03-07-09 05:03 PM
    how about one of those keychains that says "my friend went to aruba and all I got back was this keychain"
    03-07-09 05:21 PM
    Hey everyone,

I am going to Aruba for Spring break with the family and I wanted to know how I go about activating my Storm so I can still receive data. I plan on calling VZW but I wanted to know about pricing/experiences from you guys. Let me know!

Thanks
    BRING ME WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-07-09 06:56 PM
    BRING ME WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'M SO IN

you drive I'll drink....sweet deal to me
    Last edited by BBartist; 03-07-09 at 07:15 PM.
    03-07-09 07:01 PM
    take me with you and you can use my storm my data and my minutes as long and as much as you want
    03-07-09 07:12 PM
    lol you guys are too much. I'm definitely going to look into the unlocking and Arubian SIM card. I have a question about that, though: Will I be able to get data with the Arubian SIM card or just voice? Also, when I get back to the States, is it easy to get my phone back on VZW and "locked" again? I really am a little nervous about unlocking it (especially with .109 on my Storm). Any info?
    03-07-09 08:11 PM
    bump a dum dump
    03-08-09 01:10 AM
    lol you guys are too much. I'm definitely going to look into the unlocking and Arubian SIM card. I have a question about that, though: Will I be able to get data with the Arubian SIM card or just voice? Also, when I get back to the States, is it easy to get my phone back on VZW and "locked" again? I really am a little nervous about unlocking it (especially with .109 on my Storm). Any info?
    I don't know about data with the SIM, but as far as "locked" again when you return, you don't have to worry. Just pull the Arubian SIM and make sure your phone is set to either 1xEV or Global and as long as the phone sees a Verizon tower it will automatically lock on to the VZW network. Having the phone unlocked just gives you better options in overseas territories.
    03-08-09 10:52 AM
    you'll only be able to get data if your arubian sim card has a data package.

you can however switch networks if you'd like. you can get the vzw international data package. check out vzw's site for more details.

Calling From Aruba

from the looks of it they do have CDMA service there, so you can just switch between GSM and CDMA radios when you want to do voice or data.

as for unlocking, its nothing to worry about. my phone is unlocked, the only difference is if i wanted to use another sim, i could. i guess i should clarify when i say unlock, i mean unlock the sim slot so you can use another sim card if you are overseas.
    03-08-09 11:09 AM
    You can unlock on .109 makes no difference. All Vzw does is give you a code that you put in the phone yourself. I have .109 and unlocked .

03-08-09 11:55 AM
    Great, thanks for all of your input!
    03-08-09 01:36 PM
    $ 5.00 for a 10oz beer at the airport.
    03-08-09 06:35 PM
    where are you staying? i LOVE it there.. i usually get my phones unlocked and ive had the same sim card and aruba number for about three years now.. just make sure your phone is unlocked and go to setar and theyll give you a new simcard and you just buy minutes.. free incoming and text are .05 cents i think
    03-08-09 07:54 PM
    where are you staying? i LOVE it there.. i usually get my phones unlocked and ive had the same sim card and aruba number for about three years now.. just make sure your phone is unlocked and go to setar and theyll give you a new simcard and you just buy minutes.. free incoming and text are .05 cents i think
    I'm staying at the Mariott Surf Club, its beautiful. This SIM card you have, does it provide data or just voice?
    03-08-09 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD