Hey everyone. Let me start off by saying I really like this phone, it has been dependable and has not let me down when I needed it. However, the speaker issue has been driving me crazy. I work in a metal shop but I also travel for work (I pay for the phone myself) and this whole problem of metal shavings finding their way to the magnet on the back of the speaker is becoming troublesome. I am about to receive Storm2 #5 because of this problem, shavings get on the magnet, sounds out of the earpiece become so distorted you can't hear anything out of it. Are all Blackberry's this way?? I'm half tempted to call Verizon and ask for something different. We just got our plan in October so I have quite a while before I can upgrade (I'm the 2nd line on a family plan) and this problem has been quite cumbersome. Any suggestions? I have tried putting the phone in a leather case, my front pockets, and back pocket but nothing works. After 2 months I'm sending my phone off to Verizon for another one. This isn't a bash thread, like I said I really like this phone and everything it has to offer but darn it this little issue has been a thorn in my side.
    05-18-10 10:16 AM
    They may, but it would likely take some finess with CS. I 've had my replacement for almost a month now and its been prefect. The best refurb I've ever had, but yesterday it started that button double/tripple click. frustrating, but I plan on keeping it. Its not consistent so I can deal with it. From the sound of your issue, the Otterbox case may be the way to go. I use one for the military and its great. I take it to the field, desert and everything with no issues.
    05-18-10 10:34 AM
    Sounds like you're probably eligible for a different device.

I certainly would have by now.

My 3rd Storm2 replacement (4th total) was a keeper, otherwise I would have gotten a different phone.

Search "Verizon Multi FRU". I'm currently trying to find you the link
    EDIT: LINK

You might be eligible to exchange for a similar device
    Last edited by 01Ranger; 05-18-10 at 10:58 AM.
    05-18-10 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the link and the heads up. I was unaware of that policy, but I may have to put it into effect. Much appreciated!!

Edit: I see you are from Lexington, OH. I'm not to far from you just a short jaunt over to Ashland. Small World
    Last edited by flybub; 05-18-10 at 11:04 AM.
    05-18-10 11:01 AM
    This might sound crazy, but have you considered taping up the speaker ports and using Bluetooth instead?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 11:24 AM
    I just received my 7th replacement; YES 7.

#'s 5 & 6 were retail units with #6 refusing to boot up last week. I was on the phone with Technical Support Managers as well as Customer Service Managers.

As much as I liked the Storm 2, I wanted to change to a different device due all my inconvenience.

Because I have an eligible upgrade sitting out there and the fact that the Storm 2 was still within the 1 year warranty, they would not change me to any other device (I asked for an Eris) unless I used my upgrade.

As you would expect, I refused citing that using my upgrade didn't solve the problems with the phone; particularly since I got the Storm 2 in December 2009.

My choice was use the upgrade or they would just send out Certified Like New devices every 3 days if necessary.

Gotta love the policy! I can take this abuse at AT&T...
    05-18-10 11:33 AM
    i am on my 7th storm 2. i have gotten the offer to get any other phone but it would be certified like new. or they would send replacements ever week.
    05-18-10 11:40 AM
    I forgot to mention that I could get a Certified Pre-Owned unit which was insanely priced: $179 for a Motorola Driod. That pricing is apparently based on the fact that I won't resign another 2 year agreement.
    05-18-10 11:44 AM
    You guys are diehards. Lol

I liked the S2 but not enough to tolerate that many replacements. If my 3rd replacement hadn't been decent, I would have Multi-FRU'd to a different device.

Edit: I see you are from Lexington, OH. I'm not to far from you just a short jaunt over to Ashland. Small World
    Small world for sure!!
    05-18-10 11:45 AM
    I'm not sure if Diehard is the right word.

I think that Verizon is just trying to stick it to me since I won't re-up for 2 years and my line is off contract (wife is still locked in until Dec 2010).

I'm waiting to see if the rumors of Verizon get the iPhone by the end of summer. If not, hello AT&T?
    05-18-10 12:07 PM
    Just got off the phone with CS and what they told me I didn't want to hear. As of April 1, 2010 the Multi FRU Policy no longer exists, they said too many people were taking advantage of the policy to get out of their current phone. The procedure now is to continue replacing the current device or pay for a different "Certified Pre Owned" Device. Well, I can tell you I'm not paying for a d*#^ thing since this is not my fault so I guess I'll keep sending my phone back to them every month. But they did thank me for continusly paying my bill on time, what bunch of...nevermind.
    05-18-10 12:31 PM
    I totally agree, it's a bunch of crap.

As much as I don't really want to, AT&T just might be where I land.
    05-18-10 01:20 PM
    WOw, that's BS. Shame that honest people have to pay for other people scamming the company. Its one thing if you have a defective device, as you do. But if you just multi-FRU to continue switching devices... ouch.

I'm sure that them overnighting phones to and from customers can't be cheap either.
    05-18-10 01:51 PM
    Your speaker problem is realted to metal dust in your shop. It's not really blown, but the dust is making a vibrating sound. An OtterBox Defender case has a waterproof tape over the speaker that may keep the dust out.
    05-18-10 02:25 PM
    WOw, that's BS. Shame that honest people have to pay for other people scamming the company. Its one thing if you have a defective device, as you do. But if you just multi-FRU to continue switching devices... ouch.

I'm sure that them overnighting phones to and from customers can't be cheap either.
    It can't be cheap to overnight them, but what are u gonna do??

Looks like I'm in this phone for the long haul. Anyone recommend a good case that could help prevent this problem? I see otterbox recommended alot, are there any other ones I should look at? I do have my wifes' leather case she got with her Tour if all else fails.

Grey, I think we posted at the same time. I will look into the Defender, but does the Commuter also have that feature with the water proof tape??
    05-18-10 02:27 PM
    Any other phone is likely to develop the same issue.
    Speakers are speakers. My suggestion is use a BT or wired hands free
    when in the shop and keep the phone in a plastic bag.

It's not the phone, it's the environment.
    05-18-10 02:29 PM
    I think it's ridiculous that so many people have replaced their Storm 2 more than twice. I'm still on my first Storm 2 with heavy use, and plenty of falls, even withstood being thrown at a wall. How are you guys getting so many issues out of your device.....
    05-18-10 09:26 PM
    I think it's ridiculous that so many people have replaced their Storm 2 more than twice. I'm still on my first Storm 2 with heavy use, and plenty of falls, even withstood being thrown at a wall. How are you guys getting so many issues out of your device.....
    Most are ********.
    05-18-10 09:41 PM
    Any other phone is likely to develop the same issue.
    Speakers are speakers. My suggestion is use a BT or wired hands free
    when in the shop and keep the phone in a plastic bag.

It's not the phone, it's the environment.
    Not sure I fully agree here. I have had many other phones and work in the same environment for 9yrs (my house) and my phone is normally always in my pocket. Have had Blackberry 8900, 9000, iPhones, and now the Storm2. Im not in an environment like the OP where im in a metal shop. Im on my 3rd Storm2 for the same blown speaker in the earpiece. This one is only literally 7days old from being replaced. Phone was working fine last night, put it on charge, this morning, all crackly sounding.

To top it off, this phone and even my 2nd replacement gets about 90-95% Bluetooth headset use, barely use the phone itself via earpiece or speakerphone. And still somehow the speaker blows? How is this possible?

Cant be me (as in user error), its only been 7days, havent done anything to the phone except a device switch wizard, even came with .607 OS, so didnt load OS.

Dixit
    05-18-10 10:44 PM
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone saying they opened their Storm up and cleaned the speaker magnet off and it fixed the situation. Probably temporarily though...
    05-18-10 10:50 PM
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone saying they opened their Storm up and cleaned the speaker magnet off and it fixed the situation. Probably temporarily though...
    Probably is a temporary fix and it seems like a risky move to me for a temporary fix. I would rather continue to send this thing back and get a free replacement than take a chance of voiding the warranty because I took the phone apart. That's just me though, if I had the money to buy another phone I would probably venture into taking it apart but it's not worth it right now.
    05-18-10 11:15 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I work in a steel decking plant and keep my phone in my pocket with an Otterbox commuter case and I'm on phone number 6. funny thing is the speaker phone never goes out, it's always the earpiece speaker that screws up.
    05-19-10 04:58 AM
    They won't let you out of that phone into another model. I tried that. The cs rep told me they don't have that program anymore bcause people abused it. They have to honor th manufacturers warrantee for at least a year which means that if they have to send you a hundred rfurbished ones they will. After that year they will offer you another phone for the two year contract price. Good luck. If I were you I'd ask for another storm and put a good cover on it.
    05-19-10 06:54 AM
    It'll ALWAYS be the earpiece speaker that gets distorted. If you search my old posts, you'll find like 3-4 threads I've posted in about this, good informative threads that describe the problem and attempted fixes.

I dont mean to bash the S2, I loved the phone, but I have to say I never had ANY quality issues with phones throughout the years, until my 7 months with a Storm2. I had 4 Storm 2's in 7months. Before that, the only time I ever had to have a replacement phone was an EnV that I dropped off the lawn mower when mowing the grass, and that was an insurance issue NOT a quality issue.
    05-19-10 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD