Hi everyone,
    Gmaps is not showing my location using cell tower triangulation. I just get "your current location is temporarily unavailable" "GPS temporarily unavailable." When I switch the network to GSM I can get a GPS lock to 6m. I have an identical 9530 OS .75 running the same version with the same GPS settings and it shows the blue dot and circle. GPS settings are GPS services "Location on" and Locations aiding "Enabled." Any help would be great. Thanks
    Last edited by trd_tacoma; 02-07-09 at 10:06 AM.
    02-07-09 09:45 AM
    Hi everyone,
    Gmaps is not showing my location using cell tower triangulation. I just get "your current location is temporarily unavailable" "GPS temporarily unavailable." When I switch the network to GSM I can get a GPS lock to 6m. I have an identical 9530 OS .75 running the same version with the same GPS settings and it shows the blue dot and circle. GPS settings are GPS services "Location on" and Locations aiding "Enabled." Any help would be great. Thanks
    From all the threads I have read. google needs to fix their code to work with BB gps
    02-07-09 10:33 AM
    You don't need to turn the GPS on if you are using the Verizon network. Sometimes the triangulation does not work...usually it coincides with your phone not picking up a signal. Perhaps you are in a dead zone when you try to use the Gmaps. Who knows?
    02-07-09 10:34 AM
    Google maps really needs to fix GPS for the storm - Latitude would be so much cooler if GPS worked.
    02-07-09 10:37 AM
    You don't need to turn the GPS on if you are using the Verizon network. Sometimes the triangulation does not work...usually it coincides with your phone not picking up a signal. Perhaps you are in a dead zone when you try to use the Gmaps. Who knows?
    The Phone has 5 bars on 1XEV and is surrounded by cell towers. I was just wondering if there are some settings I can adjust to make this work. Has anyone else not had the triangulation work with Gmaps?
    02-07-09 10:05 PM
    It hasn't worked since the Storm came out, and its not working with the new release. Its not you. Do a search on this and you'll get a ton of info on it.
    02-07-09 10:10 PM
    Sorry but the GPS is crippled on the Storm, just like it has been with ever other BB device on VZW. Verizon has it 100% functional A-GPS and GPSfor VZNavigator and Blackberry Maps only. And the only reason it works on BB Maps is because it doesn't give turn by turn directions so it doesn't compete with the VZNav product. I hear they will unlock it after they milk you for about 6 months of VZNav service.

It's not Googles fault. Google Maps work fine with all other devices who's GPS isn't crippled. Google isn't accurate on the Storm because it's crippled and only using cell towers instead of the towers and the satellites.
    02-07-09 10:17 PM
    It hasn't worked since the Storm came out, and its not working with the new release. Its not you. Do a search on this and you'll get a ton of info on it.
    That's not what he's saying. He's saying even the cell tower triangulation isn't working, i.e. Google Maps is not giving him a location at all - not even an inaccurate one with a huge blue radius.

And the only reason it works on BB Maps is because it doesn't give turn by turn directions so it doesn't compete with the VZNav product.
    Sorry to break it to you, but BB Maps gives turn by turn directions. I've got some pulled up on mine right now.
    Last edited by kf6tac; 02-07-09 at 10:28 PM.
    02-07-09 10:22 PM
    That's not what he's saying. He's saying even the cell tower triangulation isn't working, i.e. Google Maps is not giving him a location at all - not even an inaccurate one with a huge blue radius.

Sorry to break it to you, but BB Maps gives turn by turn directions. I've got some pulled up on mine right now.
    Um, okay. How about voice navigated, turn by turn directions with spoken street names and automatic rerouting? The point I was making is that since BB Maps doesn't do all of that, and VZNav does, Verizon didn't cripple the GPS for that software since it wasn't direct competition.
    02-07-09 10:39 PM
    Um, okay. How about voice navigated, turn by turn directions with spoken street names and automatic rerouting? The point I was making is that since BB Maps doesn't do all of that, and VZNav does, Verizon didn't cripple the GPS for that software since it wasn't direct competition.
    Neither does Google Maps.
    02-07-09 10:40 PM
    Neither does Google Maps.
    You are correct. But Google Maps does have a lot more functionality that BB Maps. They also upgrade their software by leaps and bounds and it probably will come as no surprise to anyone the day that Google Maps turns into a full blown, voice guided navigation application. I don't really see many changes in BB Maps. Again, I'm not ragging on BB Maps, but I don't think they are as much of a potential threat to carrier branded services as the Google Maps are.

Of course, VZW is the only one who seems to care about it because they are the only ones who go out of the way to cripple the devices. It's disgusting the effort that they put into crippling YOUR phones (face it, your paying for it), to force you to use as many of their pay for services as possible. Especially since they are already on the high end of cost for voice and data service.
    02-07-09 10:54 PM
    So then how do you explain nav4all?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 12:18 AM
    Google Maps should work wiht a-GPS, but it DOES NOT work with GPS on the Storm yet.

Google has admited that it's them who has to update there software before it would work.

It's NOT Verizon, or Bell or Telus that is causing the problem here.
    02-08-09 12:29 AM
    So then how do you explain nav4all?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And don't forget Telenav
    02-12-09 10:23 AM
    And don't forget Telenav
    Those applications will use the internal GPS radio of the device but not the AGPS or Assisted GPS. The assisted GPS allows the device to use both the cellular towers and the GPS satellites to pinpoint your location much more accurately. Using AGPS, you can pinpoint your location and POI's around you when you are indoors. Using the GPS radios alone, like Telenav on the Storm, you need to be outdoors or have your device near the windshield of your car to grab a location. Much like if you are using a standalone Garmin or TomTom device. It usually takes longer to do this than when you are using the AGPS as well.

Telenav and Google Maps work much better using the AGPS, which is why Google Maps is not giving you a very precise mapping of your location. Verizon has the AGPS portion of the GPS radio locked to VZNavigator. VZW is the only carrier here in the US that seems to do that and it irritates the heck out of me.
    02-12-09 11:05 AM
    Sorry but the GPS is crippled on the Storm, just like it has been with ever other BB device on VZW. Verizon has it 100% functional A-GPS and GPSfor VZNavigator and Blackberry Maps only. And the only reason it works on BB Maps is because it doesn't give turn by turn directions so it doesn't compete with the VZNav product. I hear they will unlock it after they milk you for about 6 months of VZNav service.

It's not Googles fault. Google Maps work fine with all other devices who's GPS isn't crippled. Google isn't accurate on the Storm because it's crippled and only using cell towers instead of the towers and the satellites.
    Quit posting inaccurate information. Do a simple search on the subject and you will learn how wrong you are on all accounts.
    02-12-09 11:12 AM
    The assisted GPS allows the device to use both the cellular towers and the GPS satellites to pinpoint your location much more accurately. Using AGPS, you can pinpoint your location and POI's around you when you are indoors. Using the GPS radios alone, like Telenav on the Storm, you need to be outdoors or have your device near the windshield of your car to grab a location.
    There's not one single true statement in this entire quote. Go do some research on aGPS, and then come back and apologize. Or don't come back. Either way is fine with me.
    02-12-09 11:28 AM
    Quit posting inaccurate information. Do a simple search on the subject and you will learn how wrong you are on all accounts.
    I'll do one better than you then. I will post the link where I got my information.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/st...review-141951/

According to the search that I did, VZNavigator locks the GPS upon launch. Most of us had VZNav pre-installed on our devices and it's "always on" eating up memory, then I would think that many of use ran VZNav. Especially with the free trial it offers. So if I AM wrong on all accounts, it's because I listened to the banter on this site.

Thanks for being a ****.
    02-12-09 11:29 AM
    I'll do one better than you then. I will post the link where I got my information.

And as I posted in that same thread, your source was completely wrong. And you chose to accept his post as gospel and ignore my and all the other posts in that same thread pointing out his errors. *sigh*
    02-12-09 11:32 AM

According to the search that I did, VZNavigator locks the GPS upon launch. Most of us had VZNav pre-installed on our devices and it's "always on" eating up memory, then I would think that many of use ran VZNav. Especially with the free trial it offers. So if I AM wrong on all accounts, it's because I listened to the banter on this site.

Thanks for being a ****.
    Your reference is a post from another guy who posted WRONG information acting like he knew what he was talking about (which is the same complaint I was making against you, sorry if it was too abrasive). If you read through that thread you'll see the guy is corrected several times by lots of different people.

For interest of closure, here's the information as best I know it
    - GPS is NOT locked on the Storm
    - aGPS is locked on the Storm. Device GPS is not locked.
    - There are at least 3 or 4 other apps that access the Device GPS just fine with no interference from Verizon
    - There is nothing preventing turn-by-turn or any other GPS functionality on the Storm. Verizon is NOT crippling GPS to prevent competition against VZ Navigation. Anyone with Java skills can write an app accessing the Storm GPS and Verizon is not preventing that what-so-ever.
    - I personally have compiled a sample app from the java jde that accesses the Storm GPS api. There is nothing preventing Google or anyone else from accessing the Storm GPS.
    - The issue is that Google Maps references aGPS (which is locked on the Storm) and refuses to change a few lines of code to reference the device GPS. They are likely holding off on these changes due to the legal wrangling around another issue between Google/Verizon (although that's just conjecture on my part).
    - To complicate matters on the subject, on a GMM support forum a Google representative blamed the issue on Verizon which has led to hundreds of inaccurate posts (like the one you link to) and people inaccurately thinking that GPS is locked on the Storm, which it is not.
    02-12-09 11:48 AM

You ARE wrong on every count and seem to be too proud to do some honest research. Garmin Mobile works wonderfully on the Storm. I use it all the time. Google could easily write code to make google maps work on the Storm, but they don't want to. They are an information company. That's how they make their money...buy selling information that they gather. GPS doesn't gather information like aGPS does. They write their code to use aGPS and are hoping that Verizon will unlock aGPS on the Verizon Network. Verizon doesn't want to unlock aGPS (at least not yet) because of the revenue from VZ navigator.
    02-12-09 12:07 PM
    You ARE wrong on every count and seem to be too proud to do some honest research. Garmin Mobile works wonderfully on the Storm. I use it all the time. Google could easily write code to make google maps work on the Storm, but they don't want to. They are an information company. That's how they make their money...buy selling information that they gather. GPS doesn't gather information like aGPS does. They write their code to use aGPS and are hoping that Verizon will unlock aGPS on the Verizon Network. Verizon doesn't want to unlock aGPS (at least not yet) because of the revenue from VZ navigator.
    and google maps works fine when used in conjunction with Poynt. It will locate you down to a few feet. This proves that the error is all Google's.
    02-12-09 12:21 PM
    . ...They write their code to use aGPS and are hoping that Verizon will unlock aGPS on the Verizon Network. Verizon doesn't want to unlock aGPS (at least not yet) because of the revenue from VZ navigator.
    How is that different that what I said?? I said that the aGPS on the Storm was locked. Not the GPS. Which is why Garmin Mobile and Telenav will work, it just won't use the aGPS! I too said that Google was based on aGPS. So again, how does that differ from what I said and "make me wrong on every account"...
    02-12-09 01:00 PM
    How is that different that what I said?? I said that the aGPS on the Storm was locked. Not the GPS.
    Do you read your own posts?

Last edited by rmjones101; 02-12-09 at 01:41 PM.
    02-12-09 01:38 PM
    Wow. What a fight. Sorry I missed it.

Now back on topic and help out the OP.
    trd_tacoma, that is weird that Google Maps can not find your aprox. location. Have you tried a battery pull to reboot your phone?

Welcome to CB!! (Its not normally this bad around here)
    02-12-09 01:47 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD