So I got the new BlackBerry Storm when it came out and recently found out about Gmail's built in chat that allows you to SMS text for free. Only problem is, my phone only loads Gmail basic which disables the Gmail chat so I can't do it from my phone browser. I'm wondering if anyone has a fix for this or if anyone knows another free SMS texting alternative that I can access from my BlackBerry. I'm too cheap to actually pay Verizon's outrageous texting fee.
    12-30-08 02:18 AM
    I'm confused. Too cheap for a bump up to an unlimited messaging plan but not too cheap for the $30 data bolt-on plan?

Is there a way to use Google Talk to send SMS? How about loading the Gmail mobile app - can you access the chat / SMS function there? I've never tried this feature at all, just offering ideas you may or may not have already tried.
    12-30-08 02:30 AM
    Well it's because of the $30 Data Plan that I can't afford getting the messaging.

Yes, I've got the Google Talk app, but it's different. It just gets all my contacts from my e-mail and doesn't let me enter phone numbers like it would on normal Gmail.
    12-30-08 02:38 AM
    Alrighty, you're in luck mister.

I have Nationwide Select now so no use in doing it this way anymore! I used to text mobile numbers all the stinkin' time from my gmail account. Drove my girlfriend crazy because of the sheer amount of messages she'd have from me.

Anyways, you can do it two ways. Through adding a simple [@ ----.com] notifier on the end or doing it through Google Talk. Since you've had problems with GTalk I'll clue you in on the way I did it in the past.

Pretend you're sending an email to them. Write their 10-digit number into the [To:] field followed by their services messaging address. Should look like my included sample here:

Here are the email addresses for the 6 most popular US cellular phone carriers:

T-Mobile: [email protected]
    Virgin Mobile: [email protected]
    Cingular: [email protected]
    Sprint: [email protected]
    Verizon: [email protected]
    Nextel: [email protected]

where phonenumber = their 10 digit phone number

Now on your BlackBerry you can just save their number in as an email address. Whenever you want to text them choose email. Email that specific number and its free! Works like a charm everytime. Promise.
    12-30-08 03:10 AM
    Wow, great post! I tried it out. It formats kind of weird, but it works...texting wise, at least.
    Haven't tried sending files yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 05:26 AM
    I use the aim app to sms people
    12-30-08 06:38 AM
    Can you show me how to find the AIM App, ksmontoya?

And Leugim, do you mind telling me how you got Google Talk to let you send SMS messages?
    12-31-08 12:54 AM
    i'm wondering if that gets around the 160 character limit....and does anyone know if cuts it off on the recieving end?
    12-31-08 12:58 AM
    Cool post for the cheapos lol or people with limited txting plans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 12:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD