OK so i have my phone running great. Sync with outlook is working great.
    Now i want to setup gmail sync for my calendar and contacts. Last time i did this i got like 8 of each contact. A huge cluster. Can someone tell me how i can go about this without creating anymore headaches for myself?
    04-22-10 10:46 PM
    What are you doing to sync the phone with outlook, the desktop connector tool from RIM? You might consider just having Google also sync to outlook (depending on your use case this may not be practical.) Using your phone as the center point for a set of different information sources is probably not the best way to do it, since the apps may not play nice with each other. Personally, since all I care about are calendar events, what I do is have outlook sync the calendar with Gmail and then have Gmail sync the calendar and the contacts to my phone. The same thing could be done for contacts, but not for messages obviously so if that's something you need you may need a different arrangement.
    04-23-10 09:07 AM
    I had this problem, and all I needed to do was make sure that the contact sync in the gmail account was turned off. Since I did that, I have had no problems.
    04-24-10 07:52 PM
    What do you mean by the sync in the gmail account? I don't see this..
    When setting up emails on the phone through the wizard you have the option to sync contacts. You telling me to not use that and use the sync app?
    04-24-10 10:51 PM
    I had this problem, and all I needed to do was make sure that the contact sync in the gmail account was turned off. Since I did that, I have had no problems.
    hmmm i havent tried it this way, will do right now and see if it works correctly and doesnt duplicate contacts and such the way i had problems with selecting sync contacts in BIS. i was too scared after a spent day reorganizing my contacts after they got all messed up but if you say it works for you ill give it a go ..

update: eh. for the most part was good. but i had about 5 duplicated entries, and about 2 where the address was duplicated within the contact ie home became also the work address. i fixed, merged, whatever within gmail and it seems to be all good now. just to be safe i always recommend backing up the address book before syncing thru anything in case youre unhappy with results. i think i'll leave it synced for now.
    Last edited by raspberry14; 04-26-10 at 12:35 PM. Reason: update
    04-26-10 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD