I'm a first time blackberry user and was lucky enough to grab a storm today (I love it)...

Is there a way when I set up gmail in my inbox, that when i read a message on either my phone or my home computer, that it appears read in the other? I don't like to be on the go and read a bunch of emails, only to come home and have all those emails as "unread"

Just tedious to sift through.
    11-22-08 01:37 AM
    you need to set it up via IMAP instead of POP3.
    I remember seeing the directions somewhere in the forums.
    11-22-08 01:40 AM
    11-22-08 01:40 AM
    Not really. Their both cached on your computer and your phone. So opening one will not show up on the other. Unless you're able to refresh the emails which I haven't looked into that.
    11-22-08 01:42 AM
    I'm a first time blackberry user and was lucky enough to grab a storm today (I love it)...

Is there a way when I set up gmail in my inbox, that when i read a message on either my phone or my home computer, that it appears read in the other? I don't like to be on the go and read a bunch of emails, only to come home and have all those emails as "unread"

Just tedious to sift through.

that's a good question

I really do like the option to delete from gmail acount or BB only
    11-22-08 01:42 AM
    He isn't asked how to set it up he is asking if there is a way when he reads an email on his phone to have his computer update the email as read. When he reads it on his phone it says it's been read but when he goes on his pc is says the email is still unread.
    11-22-08 01:43 AM
    He isn't asked how to set it up he is asking if there is a way when he reads an email on his phone to have his computer update the email as read. When he reads it on his phone it says it's been read but when he goes on his pc is says the email is still unread.
    It will work that way if he/she sets it up using IMAP vs. POP3...at least that's what I've read before.

Edit: That's exactly what happens, per the link posted by sunkast above.
    11-22-08 01:46 AM
    From what I have experienced. If you delete from BB it will delete from your g-mail account. If you read an e-mail and do not reply or delete from your BB it will still show unread on your g-mail account. If you reply/forward from your BB it will show that status on g-mail. If you do any of these actions from g-mail only it will not change the status on your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 01:47 AM
    Fiddling with phone settings write now and trying to see if I can change it to IMAP...

EDIT: Nothing in Email settings from what I can see regarding POP or IMAP...
    11-22-08 01:48 AM
    There's an interesting "Email Reconciliation" My wireless Reconcile is set to ON... and the "On Conflicts has only two options...

"Mailbox Wins" and
    "Handheld Wins"

I need something like "Unread wins"..... doh?
    11-22-08 01:52 AM
    Just do what sunkast said...
    11-22-08 02:22 AM
    I tried to do what Sunkast said, but when I get to step 3 and try to setup per Google's instructions, the step by step isn't compatible with the storm... I have to have a valid password, and I'm not allowed to manually set it.
    11-22-08 11:01 AM
    Sunkast sounds like he has it right
    11-22-08 11:03 AM
    Sunkast sounds like he has it right
    Do you have a Storm?? There is no way to follow STEP 3 of his tutorial.. there is no way to not set a password and manually setup IMAP... once u put in @gmail.com, it doesn't let you set any manual settings pertaining to IMAP/POP
    11-22-08 11:09 AM
    Do you have a Storm?? There is no way to follow STEP 3 of his tutorial.. there is no way to not set a password and manually setup IMAP... once u put in @gmail.com, it doesn't let you set any manual settings pertaining to IMAP/POP
    It might be easier for you then to just log into Verizon's BIS web sites to configure it.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    11-22-08 01:18 PM
    It might be easier for you then to just log into Verizon's BIS web sites to configure it.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    Easier said than done. If you've set up your account on your device already, you don't get a username and password to use the internet version. REAL NICE. If you ask it to send your password, it says that the device is already registered and to access BIS on your device. UGH!
    11-22-08 03:50 PM
    Remember this, with IMAP, I don't believe email is instant, all the time like pop3. Sometimes it can be up to 15 minutes...

I'm just saying...
    11-22-08 04:08 PM
    Easier said than done. If you've set up your account on your device already, you don't get a username and password to use the internet version. REAL NICE. If you ask it to send your password, it says that the device is already registered and to access BIS on your device. UGH!
    Called VZW tech support...said they've had several calls about this very problem. He patched me through to BlackBerry Tech Support, with whom I am on hold right now. Fun times.
    11-22-08 04:18 PM
    Called VZW tech support...said they've had several calls about this very problem. He patched me through to BlackBerry Tech Support, with whom I am on hold right now. Fun times.
    Keep us posted...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 04:32 PM
    If these solve some of yours email issues, then that's a good thing, been alot of these queries lately. I'm not Stormin Norman here but I hope it can help some...

~~~~~~~

Go to email folder / open it / menu / Options / Email settings.

The bottom three: Confirm Delivery; Confirm Read ; Send Read Receipts... should say "No"

At the top you can select different email addresses on your phone and do the same as aforementioned.

Hope that does the trick. That's how mine are set.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Jump to some good BIS set ups - http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...-853/#post7483

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what...site-url-3187/

~~~~~~~~
    The answers you seek may be right here... Gmail search... http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=6653847

Search tips:
    Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...
    11-22-08 04:46 PM
    Thanks for the tips...but that's actually not my issue. The BIS won't let me log in at all (yes, i'm at the right URL for verizon)...it tells me there's an account registered with my PIN (of course, since i set it up on the storm)...but since i did that, it wants me to do EVERYTHING through the storm...which I can't do to get true IMAP on Gmail. I'm beginning to hate this. Been on hold 45 minutes.
    11-22-08 04:49 PM
    Remember this, with IMAP, I don't believe email is instant, all the time like pop3. Sometimes it can be up to 15 minutes...

I'm just saying...
    I believe you have that the other way around.

POP uses pull (polling), so it's checking the mail server periodically and pulling down mail to the phone.

IMAP can be either push or pull, depending on what the phone and email service support. I'm pretty sure BIS supports IMAP push.

My BIS is configured with Gmail IMAP, and I get my email nearly simultaneously on my phone and on my PC (Gmail web interface).
    11-22-08 05:05 PM
    Thanks for the tips...but that's actually not my issue. The BIS won't let me log in at all (yes, i'm at the right URL for verizon)...it tells me there's an account registered with my PIN (of course, since i set it up on the storm)...but since i did that, it wants me to do EVERYTHING through the storm...which I can't do to get true IMAP on Gmail. I'm beginning to hate this. Been on hold 45 minutes.
    Soon radioboy will be dishing out the fix and the advice on this issue

Good Luck with Customer Service...
    11-22-08 05:09 PM
    11-22-08 05:17 PM
    No password Trick does not work with the storm.. I tried using it with the gmail email setup and the other email setting..
    11-22-08 05:39 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD