Hey all,

As I am starting my second day with my storm I have a question. Im sure I think i know the answer, but I just wanted to get some thought on it.

I have my gmail account pushed to my berry via BIS, and I understand that reading an email on my blackberry gets marked as read within GMail. Does this work vice versa, meaning if I read an email within Gmail, does it get marked as read on the blackberry.

If it doesnt, does anyone know the reason why it only works one way?

-Tarigand
    02-26-09 11:47 AM
    For the first part of what you said no it dosnt work both ways, as for the why... i will leave that up to someone who could explain it better than me.
    02-26-09 11:53 AM
    For the first part of what you said no it dosnt work both ways, as for the why... i will leave that up to someone who could explain it better than me.
    Haha lol thanks. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe it has something to do with the phone being able to talk to the gmail servers, but the gmail servers not being able to talk to the phone?
    02-26-09 12:00 PM
    Search, because I just looked into this issue a few days ago and there are many good threads about this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 12:08 PM
    If you read it on the server then it won't be pushed to the phone. Only new messages are sent to the phone, so you'll get the unread. Since IMAP servers stay connected, it will recognize the message has been both sent and read.
    02-26-09 12:14 PM
    You aren't pulling data directly from Google's servers, it's going through RIM's servers. That's why it's all 1-way. RIM could presumably make it fully bi-directional, but if they haven't already, I don't see that happening any time soon.
    02-26-09 12:34 PM
    Simple answer... no, it doesn't work that with BIS.

The Gmail application (m.google.com) does however. It's not a better e-mail program (IMO), however it does what you want (and what I wanted) better than through BIS.
    02-26-09 01:54 PM
    Read/unread/delete syncing via IMAP between Gmail and BIS is currently one way.

See here for a list of the different types of OTA reconciliation support BIS provides:
    View Document

and this also discusses that syncing with BIS 2.6 is one-way only:
    View Document
    02-26-09 06:49 PM
    Yeah, the problem is some people around here incorrectly claim that they get two-way sync with Gmail and this causes confusion.
    02-26-09 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD