anyone know for sure what type of screen this phone will have? i have heard capacitive like iphone, which is glass and something about the screen pushing in....if this screen is the gel type like windows devices, this will be a definate deal breaker for me i hate having to push down so hard, i like the sensitivity and solid feeling of the iphone touch screen..
    09-27-08 08:31 PM
    anyone know for sure what type of screen this phone will have? i have heard capacitive like iphone, which is glass and something about the screen pushing in....if this screen is the gel type like windows devices, this will be a definate deal breaker for me i hate having to push down so hard, i like the sensitivity and solid feeling of the iphone touch screen..
    It's capacitive and resistive meaning it will have sensitivity of iPhone and the ability to click on the screen
    09-28-08 12:17 AM
    It's capacitive and resistive meaning it will have sensitivity of iPhone and the ability to click on the screen
    'Resistive' touch tech is a term reserved for gel-based screens, like on WinMo devices. If it's a capacitive screen you can press down as one large button, it's still capacitive.
    09-28-08 06:02 AM
    'Resistive' touch tech is a term reserved for gel-based screens, like on WinMo devices. If it's a capacitive screen you can press down as one large button, it's still capacitive.
    awesome, so i'm guessing its a glass screen and the whole screen pushes in just a little when you "click" it rather the the small spot you push on a resistive screen? if thats the case, then i still cant wait!!
    09-28-08 08:33 AM
    awesome, so i'm guessing its a glass screen and the whole screen pushes in just a little when you "click" it rather the the small spot you push on a resistive screen? if thats the case, then i still cant wait!!
    i certainly dont see the whole screen pushing in. that doesnt make sense. what happens if something malfunctions and makes it so you cant push the screen in? from what i see in the patent app (and have said this numerous times) is that it looks like the screen is what i would term a 'smart screen' in that it can sense the pressure of your finger against the hard surface. using the capacitive circuitry to sense the are of the screen, and sensing the pressure change against the screen where you press.
    09-28-08 01:01 PM
    i certainly dont see the whole screen pushing in. that doesnt make sense. what happens if something malfunctions and makes it so you cant push the screen in? from what i see in the patent app (and have said this numerous times) is that it looks like the screen is what i would term a 'smart screen' in that it can sense the pressure of your finger against the hard surface. using the capacitive circuitry to sense the are of the screen, and sensing the pressure change against the screen where you press.
    I think toastyz is right, I am under the same impression from the Patent App
    09-28-08 01:03 PM
    I think toastyz is right, I am under the same impression from the Patent App
    EVEN BETTER!!
    09-28-08 03:10 PM

I don't think so... if you notice everyone who has used the phone and given reports of how it works says it CLICKS when you press down and that the entire screen is one big button. If you notice in the pics of the device there is a break on all four sides surrounding the screen, which lends the impression this was done so that the screen can have freedom of movement when being pressed down.
    09-28-08 03:12 PM
    I understand "one big button" idea. But it would be puzzling for RIM to use the idea for the Storm.

RIM's main philosophy is efficiency (ease of typing of emails, txt messages, and so on). I think having one big button screen works against that (leading to typing mistakes, among others).

I imagine that the Storm employs localized haptic feedback, like other members believe.

My bad for being somewhat off topic (I'd say plastic for the touch screen).
    Last edited by sgtmilstack; 09-28-08 at 04:24 PM.
    09-28-08 04:05 PM
    I understand "one big button" idea. But it would be puzzling for RIM to use the idea for the Storm.
    Since no device has ever used it, we really don't know how well it will work... other than the "ninja" saying he didn't like it. But, I don't see why people continue to deny this is the way it will work... when EVERY report we have read has said this is how it is. The ninja, Boy Genius's insiders, and most importantly Verizon's own internal documents.

The visual cues from the design also imply this is the way it is going to work as well... notice the gap between the screen area and the speaker area under the "Blackberry" logo. There is also extra gap down the sides and in between the button area... if the whole screen wasn't a button this is unnecessary and would be one smooth flush piece as on the Pearl, 8800, etc.

I know it sounds weird and most people seem to think they won't like this... but I think its pretty clear that is how it will work... and none of us will know if its a good thing until its in our hands.
    09-28-08 05:25 PM
    Since no device has ever used it, we really don't know how well it will work... other than the "ninja" saying he didn't like it. But, I don't see why people continue to deny this is the way it will work... when EVERY report we have read has said this is how it is. The ninja, Boy Genius's insiders, and most importantly Verizon's own internal documents.

The visual cues from the design also imply this is the way it is going to work as well... notice the gap between the screen area and the speaker area under the "Blackberry" logo. There is also extra gap down the sides and in between the button area... if the whole screen wasn't a button this is unnecessary and would be one smooth flush piece as on the Pearl, 8800, etc.

I know it sounds weird and most people seem to think they won't like this... but I think its pretty clear that is how it will work... and none of us will know if its a good thing until its in our hands.
    Obviously people's assumptions on this forum hold more credibility than the people that have actually used the phone and given us that information
    09-28-08 05:49 PM
    ... and none of us will know if its a good thing until its in our hands.
    I got you. It will be intriguing to put the sucker through the paces

Obviously people's assumptions on this forum hold more credibility than the people that have actually used the phone and given us that information
    LOL..
    09-28-08 06:10 PM

Actually the only one who ever said it was a single button was Boy Genius and he described it as each corner of the screen was a switch. This was countered by the insiders if I am not mistaken. The Ninja did say the screen acts like a button and clicks, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have localized resistive response. The gap around the screen is most likely for ease in assembly and repair. We have the patent which describes the function of this device, take a read yourself and make a determination. We won't know for certain until the device is released.
    SYSTEM AND METHOD OF INTEGRATING A ... - Google Patents
    09-28-08 07:42 PM

I want you to read this, in it's entirety:
    United States Patent Application: 0080030479

if you read this, you'll note NO reference to the whole screen moving, whatsoever. What you will notice, as did i, after reading it again, is that what they have devised is a way to measure where and with how much force you touch an LCD screen. no extra layer, etc. If you want to get a rough idea of what it's saying, essentially, it will be like touching the screen of a laptop. when you touch a laptop LCD ( or just about any for that matter ) the whole screen doesnt move, the pixels are just pushed on. 'clicking' will simply be applying more pressure to an area of the screen
    09-28-08 10:48 PM
    Honestly it will probably be like the movie..."just point, and click...point and click." You put your finger on what you want to select, and then click! you just selected it...you guys are way over complicating things in your heads...the kiss method is still a very popular method in today's technology...will it matter what the screen is made of??? Probably not because the device will surely work as it is intended too...
    09-30-08 01:19 PM
    Most reports state the same, there's a trend
    09-30-08 05:03 PM
    can someone just sum this up in simple terms.

is it going to be like a voyager or like an iphone

thank you.
    09-30-08 08:15 PM
    can someone just sum this up in simple terms.

is it going to be like a voyager or like an iphone

thank you.
    heh, I wouldn't even consider buying it if it's like a voyager. What this screen is made out of and how it functions is why I will or will not buy it.

I was playing with my friend's Dare the other day and man that is one piece of crap...
    09-30-08 09:00 PM
    Yup I'm the same. Got to have the iphone style or I will not want one anymore sounds like they need to have a solid glass screen for it to push in the way it does...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 09:29 PM
    it's not like the iphone, and not like the dare, at least according to the patent info, if you read it.

im sure it will be stronger durability wise, but it will be like touching an LCD monitor. the patent specifically talks about avoiding the shortfalls of the conductive (iphone) screen, requiring human touch or special stylus/gloves. also talks about avoiding shortfall of resistive (dare/voyager/xv6900) screen, that is mushy because of the extra layer on the screen/air gap to operate properly.
    09-30-08 11:03 PM
    it's not like the iphone, and not like the dare, at least according to the patent info, if you read it.

im sure it will be stronger durability wise, but it will be like touching an LCD monitor. the patent specifically talks about avoiding the shortfalls of the conductive (iphone) screen, requiring human touch or special stylus/gloves. also talks about avoiding shortfall of resistive (dare/voyager/xv6900) screen, that is mushy because of the extra layer on the screen/air gap to operate properly.
    hmm when I touch my lcd monitor it kinda distorts and changes color where I'm touching. That doesn't sound good. I don't need a glass screen, but it needs to be as responsive as the iphone.
    10-01-08 05:36 PM
    hmm when I touch my lcd monitor it kinda distorts and changes color where I'm touching. That doesn't sound good. I don't need a glass screen, but it needs to be as responsive as the iphone.
    Agreed. I played around with an Iphone last week and they are pretty cool but I'm sure RIMM will have a more useful device. If the screen isn't as responsive or better than the Iphone I'd rather keep my money GLADLY and get an Iphone instead. Here's to hoping for a high-quality screen.
    10-01-08 05:52 PM
    well, like i said, i'm sure it will be a bit heftier than your lcd, but something along those lines. it wont be mushy like the xv6900, etc.
    10-01-08 06:07 PM
    I want you to read this, in it's entirety:
    United States Patent Application: 0080030479

if you read this, you'll note NO reference to the whole screen moving, whatsoever.............
    And how do you KNOW that this technology referenced in the patent is the tech being used in the Storm other than pure speculation??? Do you realize that EVERY technology company applies for patents that often times go unused??

I still don't see how a reference to a patent and pure speculation from someone that has never seen or touched the phone in real life outweighs opinions from those that have and all have matching descriptions of how it works. Also, it is possible that the sensor for the touch from that patent IS being used... but that doesn't mean that there isn't a SECOND screen-click sensor also in the works. They are independant of one another.
    Last edited by grooves12; 10-01-08 at 11:54 PM.
    10-01-08 11:52 PM
    And how do you KNOW that this technology referenced in the patent is the tech being used in the Storm other than pure speculation??? Do you realize that EVERY technology company applies for patents that often times go unused??

I still don't see how a reference to a patent and pure speculation from someone that has never seen or touched the phone in real life outweighs opinions from those that have and all have matching descriptions of how it works. Also, it is possible that the sensor for the touch from that patent IS being used... but that doesn't mean that there isn't a SECOND screen-click sensor also in the works. They are independant of one another.
    the consensus from those that have used it may call the screen "one big button" but that doesnt neccessarily mean the whole thing is a button that moves. it would make more sense that any part of the screen can be a button.
    10-02-08 09:47 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD