get a business card, tear in in half. fold that part that you tore in half and place behind battery cover above where your sim card goes. now try typing. i can type seriously really fast with this thing. i just tried using an online stopwatch and got 48 WPM using suretype first try. learn to type.

EDIT: just tried for the second time and got 50 WPM and this is making not one mistake, back spacing and correcting when i do mess up.
    What is the business card supposed to help accomplish?
    02-20-09 08:55 AM
    i would be interested in seeing how well this improved the speed. If it helped i would be down for it!!!!

Tony banza... love ur pin!!
    02-20-09 09:02 AM
    finally, i have some ammo on this issue. hear the last podcast? Kevin says he thinks the click keyboard is no good and thinks there should be a touch only keyboard!

you wanna bash him? go ahead!

the click keyboard SUCKS! it SUCKS. its so bad, its not even funny.

The click screen idea??? Awesome! for everything EXCEPT typing. for typing it blows my arse hard.

its too much work to type with that damn slow click screen. the rebound is TERRIBLE! if you type more than 25 words a minute you catch the rebound on its way up on your next letter.

for everything else its great. but RIM, give us a TOUCH ONLY keyboard! make it a damn option, hide it if you have to, just make one!

the click screen just doesnt work for fast typing.

i did tests today using a stop watch.

test 1, typing on a keyboard 105 words per minute (no mistakes)

test 2, typing on a friends bold (never used it before, no practice) 60 words per minute.

test 3, my old motorola q with worn out keyboard. havent used in months... 52 words per minute.

test 4, storm, perfect clicking screen, 3 months practice, been using every day, sure type - 30 words per minute lots of mistakes

test 5, storm, landscape qwerty, 26 words per minute, lots of mistakes

the proof is in the damn pudding. the click keyboard sucks. the blue glow sucks. the funny thing is, the blue glow makes things worse!!!! you cant see it when its under your finger, but since it lags so bad you see it show up on the letter you typed 4 letters ago, distracting you and making you mess up!

pop up keyboard is needed. multi touch only.

throw us a bone rim.

and before you all start ripping me, remember, kevin agrees. hahaha.

I'd say you have an adjustment problem. I also type over 100 wpm with great accuracy on a standard keyboard... But I can also type 50+ on my storm with great accuracy. 60+ if I get a little sloppy and hope auto correct picks up my slack.

I think the click screen adds to my accuracy and my accuracy would definitely suffer if it were touch only.

I agree that it'd be nice to have the option to use touch only for those who cannot adjust or for those with bad screens for some reason; but to say that clicking is unbearable or terrible or whatever you said, I'd say is completely subjective and you shouldn't be our spokesperson.
    Last edited by bobaloo; 02-20-09 at 12:45 PM.
    02-20-09 09:42 AM
    I would prefer click-screen over touch-screen. For me, it helps cut down "click" mistakes or scrolling mistakes and so on.

However, I would still prefer to have a real keyboard. Slideout, portrait preferably.
    02-20-09 12:22 PM
    the click screen is the entire gag of the storm. theres 10 other touchscreen phones out there right now, you want a keyboard and touch get a G1, you want to tap type and be the dumbest kid on your block get an iphone. and btw the click through won an award for the best mobile technology at MWC 09....beleive it or not it even beat apples shake your phone so steve jobs can tell you where to eat app!

now if kevin would only beleive i could tie my own shoes...
    02-22-09 11:01 AM
    finally, i have some ammo on this issue. hear the last podcast? Kevin says he thinks the click keyboard is no good and thinks there should be a touch only keyboard!

The click screen idea??? Awesome! for everything EXCEPT typing. for typing it blows my arse hard.

its too much work to type with that damn slow click screen. the rebound is TERRIBLE! if you type more than 25 words a minute you catch the rebound on its way up on your next letter.

for everything else its great. but RIM, give us a TOUCH ONLY keyboard! make it a damn option, hide it if you have to, just make one!

test 2, typing on a friends bold (never used it before, no practice) 60 words per minute.

test 3, my old motorola q with worn out keyboard. havent used in months... 52 words per minute.

test 4, storm, perfect clicking screen, 3 months practice, been using every day, sure type - 30 words per minute lots of mistakes

the proof is in the damn pudding. the click keyboard sucks. the blue glow sucks. the funny thing is, the blue glow makes things worse!!!! you cant see it when its under your finger, but since it lags so bad you see it show up on the letter you typed 4 letters ago, distracting you and making you mess up!

throw us a bone rim.

Who is Kevin and shy should I care?
    02-22-09 11:23 AM
    I've had a "touch" keyboard (in the Dare) and it actually took me a while to get used to. I picked up this phone and was typing on it like I helped create the phone. That's how easy and quickly it was to learn and how easy it was to type on the thing.

The click screen is a whole lot better than haptic feedback or nothing at all. Like someone else said, if you are having that much trouble typing with it either you are stupid, or you just need to get a new phone.
    02-22-09 11:52 AM
    I like the click, and it is really useful for many things like surfing the web. I don't worry about typing super fast so I like it for typing specifically because I can place my finger on the keyboard and see the letter I want to hit light up.

So that being said, if they do give us a touch keyboard, I would not want to lose the ability to see the letter light up for a split second before it gets selected. If you could actually set the time you have to put your finger on the letter before it gets selected that would be awesome.
    02-22-09 12:18 PM
    At first I was really against this but I agree give us the touch keyboard

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 12:18 PM
    this is a very subjective issue and that's why there should be an option to turn off the click screen for typing. If you like it, great, but many don't and would prefer just a touch screen or haptic feedback for typing. IMO the click screen isn't as much an issue as is the Storm's keyboard accuracy and auto correction. Then again maybe i just suck at it.
    02-22-09 12:21 PM
    While they're at it, they should give us autocorrection that doesn't create new words.
    02-22-09 01:15 PM
    I like the click screen for selecting options because it helps cut done on selecting the wrong item: you touch to select the right one and then click. But for typing: it slows me down. There have been times when I typed too fast for the screen to keep up which can be frustrating. I am torn between wanting the click screen or not.
    02-22-09 04:40 PM
    My typing sucks so bad it doesnt matter here...LOL!
    02-22-09 07:52 PM
    If you like a touch only screen...go buy an iPhone. We all knew when buying the storm we'd have to click, don't start crying about it now.
    02-22-09 07:56 PM
    I would be all for adding a touch only keyboard. Just so people like the OP would quit ********. I love my click keyboard and type on it all the time and I don't feel hindered at all using it. But I hope RIM listens just to make the Storm better.
    02-23-09 03:37 AM
    I agree that the click screen is a pain when it comes to typing. The biggest problem that the screen has is the fact that you have to wait for the screen to rebound after the first push. I think that if RIM would change their software just a bit so that the screen will register without having to come back up again, it would fix most of the issues.
    02-23-09 02:02 PM
    I agree that the click screen is a pain when it comes to typing. The biggest problem that the screen has is the fact that you have to wait for the screen to rebound after the first push. I think that if RIM would change their software just a bit so that the screen will register without having to come back up again, it would fix most of the issues.
    The screen does not have a rebound issue. People who say that are just not picking their thumbs/fingers up fast enough. They can adjust their software all you want, but I think it'd slow down processing while typing and create more of a lag for the phone to determine why you have two contact points on the screen, either because you are correcting yourself or if you're just being lazy with your previous stroke and mean to move on to the next character.

If you would pick up your thumbs just as fast as you're laying them down, you wouldn't have a problem.

But to blame it on the screen's rebound, sorry. i just don't see it. and in that case, surepress or touch only, your delayed thumb lift still gives you the same issue.
    02-23-09 02:13 PM
    Are you people kidding me? UQ moore and I were just about drummed off the frakkin board for even SUGGESTING that the click should be optional...

I want REPARATIONS !!
    OMG!!! Wasn't that the worst?!?!!? Talk about blatant moderator abuse as well.

I couldnt believe what I was reading... I mean...

- you can turn off gps
    - you can turn off wifi
    - you can turn off bluetooth
    - heck, you can even turn off the phone radio itself...

But somehow suggesting that rim should give us the OPTION to turn off sure-press was such a freaking crime that it got us admonished by the mod and got the thread closed.

Finally justice prevails!!!
    02-23-09 10:06 PM

throw us a bone rim.

no ripping here..couldnt agree more...its a freakin nightmare..tried cards in the back, the little round stickers you name it...still typing is like an exercise in futility..could type one handed at 80 mph(dont rec it though..LOL) with my Treo..no mistakes9about the only thing that PDA did right)..now its like a production to type something...i have to get Psyched for it..check which way the wind is blowing..are the planets all lined up...And God forbid if the drunken sailor like accelerometer starts schimming this way and that..trying to figure out how you are holding it..well then productivity is down even further..I am in the medical field.... try typing some med lingo with the sure type..it will rip your soul out.
    Last edited by stormMD; 02-24-09 at 03:35 AM.
    02-24-09 03:31 AM
    The screen does not have a rebound issue. People who say that are just not picking their thumbs/fingers up fast enough. They can adjust their software all you want, but I think it'd slow down processing while typing and create more of a lag for the phone to determine why you have two contact points on the screen, either because you are correcting yourself or if you're just being lazy with your previous stroke and mean to move on to the next character.

If you would pick up your thumbs just as fast as you're laying them down, you wouldn't have a problem.

But to blame it on the screen's rebound, sorry. i just don't see it. and in that case, surepress or touch only, your delayed thumb lift still gives you the same issue.

02-24-09 07:42 AM
    hahaha. Even though that pic is at my expense, it still cracks me up. I see it on woot all the time and it gets me every time. It's better with the other guy next to him, though.
    02-24-09 10:20 AM
    An option would be the best to resolve the issues with people from both side of this topic... those who prefer touch screen typing and those who love the click typing.

Where am I?
    I'm in between, when I am doing regular (non-angry) texting, I like the click... when I'm pist and need to type really fast then I def. need touch only typing.
    02-24-09 11:09 AM
    I have been screaming for this option pretty much since I got it in nov 21. I would still like to see it happen, although in the meantime I tried the folded biz card under the battery door and man, what a difference. The screen press is almost effortless I'm flying typing now without the fatigue. I know we shouldn't have to have makeshift solutions but it has made my typing like an entire new experience.

02-25-09 06:43 PM
    I just wish you could have the suretype keyboard with multitap in portrait.

02-25-09 06:56 PM
    The storm's "keyboard" sucks period. It's impossible to type accurately on. The best touchscreen I've used is Samsung's... the one that gives you a little buzz when you're over the letter. That's the kind of feedback you need...NOT a giant button that is difficult to push as it is... and makes it even more difficult to push the right letter. Since Blackberry devices are known as messaging devices, this is a total failure IMO.
    02-25-09 08:24 PM
134 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD