Is there a program that works like a PC "Ghosting" program, that will allow for an image to be made at the time of ghosting so when a hard reset is required, all the 3rd party programs and settings are automatically installed. I do this with my PC so I can have a 'fresh' install without having to reload everything.
    06-09-10 06:47 PM
    No...would be awesome though.
    06-09-10 09:54 PM
    if u make a backup it is practically the same..

exporting all settings, files on phone memory, messages,...
    backup of 3rd party programs
    06-10-10 01:16 AM

I think he's referring to 3rd party app settings though. Somebody should look into that, but maybe the new bbsak will have something like it???
    06-10-10 08:22 AM

It's really not. Imagining a device would enable to one to get a precise snapshot of the device in one step. It wouldn't help too much when trying to upgrade an OS (then you'd have to do it the way you described), but the ability to image a device would be great for OS re-installs and/or downgrading to a previously installed OS.
    06-10-10 08:38 AM
    Imagining a device is different than creating a backup. Look at Norton's Ghost program. It allows for "fresh" installs which are different than just reinstalling a backkup.
    06-10-10 09:12 AM
    I use BlackBerry Master Control Program to back up all of my installed apps to .alx/.cod files, and then add them to DM. This, coupled with backups done through DM make it about as close to having an image as your going to get. Yes, it took me about an hour to make .alx/.cod files for all of my apps (at least 20 I'd say). I got all fancy and entered a description, version number, and app dev. name for each .alx. I could have sped through it pretty fast had I not done that. When I use Loader.exe to install, say, a Hybrid, I have all of those .alx/.cods I backed up added, and I have Loader.exe do a backup. Once the OS is loaded, the apps are loaded, and finally my backup is restored. Usually after that is done, I do a battery pull, and things are very CLOSE to how they were before. Some apps just don't work, so you have to re-download/install them OTA or however, but for the most part, this works pretty well for me. When an app is updated, I make a mental note to make a new .alx/.cod the next time I plug my Storm into my computer.

I know BBMCP (Master Control Program) has an option to backup all of the apps to one .alx/.cod, however I don't use this because when it is restored to the Berry, it shows up as one app under Options>Applications, so you can't do a thing if you have compatibility issues, etc. with an app.
    I agree that this is great method (it's close to how I do it), but it's definitely not the same as an imaging solution, which would be nice to have.
    06-10-10 03:20 PM
    I agree that this is great method (it's close to how I do it), but it's definitely not the same as an imaging solution, which would be nice to have.
    Why do you want to image your BB. It makes more sense to backup data through DM, and applications through BBSAK.
    Imaging in the PC world is there, because of viruses and malware. they are able to corrupt a system registry and harm applications. But there is nothing like this in BB world.
    You might loose contacts, emails, messages, even an application, but you wont harm an OS.
    It makes more sense if you are installing a new OS or a new Hybrid.....Just a thought.
    06-10-10 04:47 PM
    I can understand the need for an image, but backing up your device is practically the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD