Well I must've spoke to soon.
    I thought that after almost a month I was a lucky Storm owner with no major issues... (think again)

This BTW has happened twice in the past few days...

I charge my storm all day till it's full and the bolt disappears from the battery meter. I turn it off and go to sleep. I wake up the next morning and the darn thing is burning hot (exaggeration but it is unusually warm). I have multiple unsuccessful attempts at turning the device on even with battery pulls. I plug in my Storm and a red light appears and I get a battery sign with a bolt. Afterward, my phone works fine, although my battery doesn't last nearly as long anymore.

I do not have my Storm on AUTO ON/OFF and I have double checked to make sure. I understand there are one or two posts, from what I saw with my searches, with people with similar problems but I have not seen any helpful hints other than "replace battery" or "exchange the phone". I have considered the latter.

But my question is, regardless of the fact that my Storm somehow turned on (why?), what would cause such a major/quick battery drain and the overheating? And again this has happened multiple times.
    Last edited by honestlyx21; 01-12-09 at 01:58 AM.
    01-12-09 01:56 AM
    i dont know about the auto on/ off deal but i have it set and it gets overrun by alarm settings such as a calendar alarm or an alarm to wake u up. the overheating that occurs can be because u turn it on and your phone is in a roaming area and it causes the phone to heat up. i dunno. seems logical to me. lol
    01-12-09 02:05 AM
    I don't see how having my phone on in roaming would cause it to overheat. But either way I do not roam in my area, I have near full bars almost 90% of the time.

And I did not have any calendar appointments or alarms for those mornings it overheated.
    01-12-09 02:08 AM
    did u take the battery out to make sure nothing is wrong with it? could be a defective battery.
    01-12-09 02:48 AM
    I would also try a different battery.
    01-12-09 03:08 AM
    the same here. I think it's related to a 3rd party app malfunctioning that eats all the battery (trying to connect for example?). It has happened to me the last 2 days, so the suspect apps are the last I installed, I thing Youtube client and Bugweather. I have uninstalled them, I hope tonight it doesn't happend!
    01-12-09 03:36 PM
    are you using a generic charger?
    01-12-09 03:37 PM
    the wall charger original from RIM
    01-12-09 03:40 PM
    the Power off feature is not a TURN OFF. its like a stand by one. if it was really off, it would take the whole 2-5 minutes it normally takes with the white screen.

this means keeping the battery in uses up battery and the charger wants to charge it. it is putting in more power than it uses in the given moment hence the heat. if you turn it off, take out the battery, if not just leave it on
    01-12-09 03:53 PM
    OK I understand that I should leave it on or just take out the battery. But either way really? Overnight total power drain?

And @ freshgear:
    I did not leave it charged in all night I let it charge and unplugged it and according to you only put it in stand by. The next morning it was over heated. (without being plugged in)

I am using the charger that came with the Storm. And I'm most likely going in to change out my Storm.

Do you think they'll give me a replacement for this issue or try having me get a battery instead? I do have one or two specs of dust under the screen... (you have to look close =P)
    01-12-09 06:08 PM
    Try a new battery...

If you still get the same problem back up your phone and replace..

Don't waste your time diagnosing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 06:18 PM
    Just a thought.. I had this problem once wheni was doing the cardboard trick to help my clicking... do you have paper or cardboard behind the door? I also recently started experiencing a battery drain and am trying to figure out what is causing it!!
    01-12-09 09:08 PM
    if you're getting a screen with a battery with a lightning bolt thru it at boot, it means the battery is missing. since it obviously isn't you probably have a defective battery
    01-12-09 09:21 PM
    Same thing happened to me. It wouldn't turn on after charging overnight. I plugged it into my computer and the computer wouldn't recognize it. Suddenly, after unplugging the usb and plugging it back in, my computer recognized it and I immediately backed everything up, but for some reason it would stop with my messages. I eventually got it backed up (without the messages) and started charging it via usb.
    Oddly, my Storm has been running better (faster) ever since. I think I accidentally let it drain completely while it was charging overnight. Last thing I did before that which might have caused the battery drain was using the youtube app. It froze and I pulled the battery. It was already on it's last battery bar when I did this.
    01-12-09 09:57 PM
    The YouTube app sucks up a lot of power from the battery. For example, if I have the YouTube app on, even if I am not watching a video, I will use more power than the power I get from charging the battery. In other words, if I have the YouTube app on in the background while charging, I lose bars even though I'm plugged in. Make sure you exit YouTube when you want to recharge.

BTW, the Storm gets hot normally. i like it because I'm anemic and always cold and i have (among other major back problems) psoriatic arthritis and the hear hjelps the joints in my hands.
    01-12-09 10:04 PM
    Thanks for that info. I'll make sure to get out of all my apps and not use Youtube when my battery is running low.
    01-12-09 10:16 PM
    Up to 30 percent of people with psoriasis also develop psoriatic arthritis, which causes pain, stiffness and swelling in and around the joints.

Psoriatic arthritis can develop at any time, but it most commonly appears between the ages of 30 and 50 and affects men at a higher rate than women. Genes, the immune system and environmental factors are all believed to play a role in the onset of the disease.

Early recognition, diagnosis and treatment of psoriatic arthritis are critical to relieve pain and inflammation and help prevent progressive joint damage.
    01-10-10 12:43 AM
    I just started having my Storm 2 overheat when I have it plugged into my car charger and I'm running VZ Navigator for long periods of time. I would first lose the charging indicator (lightening bolt) then found the phone to be quite hot. If I let it cool down for some time it would then start charging again. After 6 hours on the road today running VZ Navigator, the phone once again got very hot. I sat in on the desk in my hotel room and went out to dinner. When I got back the screen was completely shattered. I think it may have been too close to the AC unit. The phone was never dropped.
    04-29-10 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD