This thread is intended for anyone who knows just about everything there is to know about this phone or people who just received in the past few days (as of december 1st or so) and have theirs set up and running well.

Background:

This is a phone that I will be using for work and need to go through VZW and set up BES on the device. I will be loading up all the normal work stuff like contacts and calendar appointments, etc. but also will be loading up contacts and calendar appts from an AT&T curve that I have for personal use on a different computer. I plan on simply exporting those contacts into an excel sheet and loading up into my work contacts in Outlook.

Questions:

1. when i first start it up, i know i will be prompted with the setup wizard. should i just cancel out of all that and update to the new software (.75), assuming it will ship with .65 installed, and then go through the wizard afterwards?

2. I remember reading that deleting VZ Navigator and visual VM help with performance, so should i get rid of these also before/after a software update?

3. For anyone with a "newer" device, is it shipping with .65 or .75? And if you have updated to .75, is there a noticeable difference in performance? I have read that some people have not had many issues with the version their storm shipped with so I'm wondering if upgrading is even worth it.

I realize I will have partial answers on my own once I get it (e.g. which software version it ships with, where it was built, etc.).

This is all I can think of for now. I greatly appreciate thoughtful responses and I obviously want this to be as smooth a transition as possible and don't want to do anything to brick it after 5 minutes.

Any other tips to get up and running quickly are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    12-03-08 06:42 PM
    Yes, I'm replying to bump this but also to clarify that the reason for the questions is I read in one of the threads that people had a problem with upgrading due to BES (you must contact your administrator, or whatever the error message is) and I, of course, would like to avoid snags along the way.
    12-03-08 07:14 PM
    Some people claim .75 has given them more problems rather than relieving them. This is a leaked version as of right now so take it for what it is. I am BIS so I can't speak for the other BES users that have the official .75 BES upgrade.

I would do a clean wipe with the phone then upgrade to .75 (official) that way you don't have any added garbage in there. Delete apps you know you won't use and start loading her up with the ones you like. I do not know if .75 will upgrade the typing response but there are some threads on that if you want to take a look.

Otherwise, just be prepared to devote some time getting used to handling the phone, its a lot different compared to many traditional cell phones, BBs and touchscreen phones alike!

Just enjoy it!!
    12-03-08 07:18 PM
    I would assume you should get the update since I hear it's really great and all that. Mine gives me probs at times but it's still a great phone
    12-03-08 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD