My camera is broken and I have tried every fix there is but keep getting the close all apps and try again message. Since I am in my 30 day period, they are sending me a brand new Storm. I made sure that it would be new and not a refurb and was assured it would be new. Anyway, a few questions about what to do to my old one before returning it.

I am currently running .103. Do I need to change it back to .75 before returning it?

The water indicators have turned red but the phone works perfectly other than the camera. Does this matter? I had to pay $200 for the new one and was told it would be credited to me as soon as they received my old one. The in store employee and the phone rep never mentioned anything about this.

I really like the settings I am currently running and really don't feel like having to set up a phone like this again. If I back up my phone, then restore that file to the new phone, will it work right? Also, as far as backup goes, if I backup running .103 and then restore to a phone running .75(the replacement will be on .75, I will then update to .103 or .109 after the restore), will this work okay?

Thanks for the help.
    02-23-09 09:14 PM
    Anybody? I just found another thread where somebody said the phone being returned needs to be running .75 so I guess I will switch it back. What about the water indicator? And current settings?
    02-24-09 09:42 AM
    I'm pretty sure the 'water indicators' are by default red (dry) - as mine are re and the phone has not gotten wet

Anybody? I just found another thread where somebody said the phone being returned needs to be running .75 so I guess I will switch it back. What about the water indicator? And current settings?
    02-24-09 10:51 AM
    The wet indicator is red with a white bar through it if yours is all red and no white bar then you have water damage and will be paying for the new phone. Unless of course you figure out how to get the dry sticker on the returned phone........

go back to .75 and make sure you wipe all of your info..also make sure your sd card is clear......
    02-24-09 11:00 AM
    Restore the phone to .75- you risk getting charged if you don't. I just had to do that. I'm not sure about the water strips though.
    02-24-09 11:01 AM
    Yea I would recommend a downgrade to .75 just to be safe.

As to the water indicator's there are two. One inside the battery compartment to the left should be a small white square. If it is red, it's water damage. On the battery there is a white rectangle with a red stripe near the contacts. if the red stripe is smeared in any way or the entire sticker is red/pink, its water damage.

I actually don't believe the red circle with the white stripe is a water damage indicator, but more of a tamper evidence indicator, as there is a torx screw right underneath it, and like alot of companies, they'll wanna know if you've taken it apart. Safe to say though, if that's smeared as well, may be water damage.

Be aware though, if there is water damage, accept the new phone, and send back one with liquid, or any other physical damage Verizon will not charge you $200 for the phone, they will charge you $500 for the full retail (non contract) on a new one.
    02-24-09 11:05 AM
    I have read several instances of the water indicator turning without water damage from humid clients and stuff like that, or basically that they are too sensitive. Does the fact that they are turned mean there is water damage? Will Verizon say there is water damage just because they are turned even if the phone functions properly?
    02-24-09 12:47 PM
    Yes they will. They won't chance it on a device. I've seen plenty of phones at work that work fine for months even years with the water damage indicators turned. However, they can't take a chance on that causing a problem down the road, and something like that isn't their fault.
    02-24-09 12:49 PM
    So basically, if I send my phone back with the indicators turned, no matter what, I will have to pay $500 for the new one?
    02-24-09 12:53 PM
    Most likely yes. When the technician on the other end sees them, they'll charge you. And it's the full retail because you're not doing a contract for the phone. Your better bet, if the indicators HAVE turned, is to take it into a Store, see what the tech says. If the tech claims water damage, try explaining to them that you haven't gotten water in it, etc. Don't be rude (if you are they'll note it and next time it'll be harder), but try reasoning. If they don't offer a solution talk to the manager and see if escalation helps. Sometimes, they will do a 1 time in store insurance claim, for $50. Do you have the insurance on it?
    02-24-09 12:57 PM
    I took it to the store where I live and where I purchased the phone which is a VZW agent, not an actual VZW store. The tech there did a batt pull and some trouble shooting things with the phone. He never mentioned anything about the indicators. He then told me to call tech support bc they could not replace the phone being an agent but that tech support would set me up with a new one. I am over an hour from the nearest official store. I do have insurance but don't want to waste $50 when the phone works perfectly other than the camera. I would just assume having a broken camera then paying anything. Will the fact that I took it in to the agent store and they examined it be good enough to pass? Thanks for the help by the way.
    02-24-09 01:20 PM
    ive returned 3 storms already and definitely downgrade to .75 because using beat os goes against the user agreements...
    02-24-09 01:22 PM
    Either the guy at the agent store didn't take the time to check them, or he doesn't know (would be pretty sad, it's the first thing I check on any trouble shoot on a phone). What happens to the camera when you turn it on?

And no, unfortunately the agent checking it doesn't make a difference. A tech from VZW will look at it when they receive it.
    02-24-09 01:23 PM
    When I try to open the camera, a message comes up saying,"Cannot open the camera. Close all other applications and try again." Probably not in those exact words though.
    02-24-09 01:25 PM
    Oh that some people have solved via a device wipe. I would try backing up your phone via DM and wipe/restore it. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the OS (with a backup/restore)
    02-24-09 01:26 PM
    Oh that some people have solved via a device wipe. I would try backing up your phone via DM and wipe/restore it. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the OS (with a backup/restore)
    I wiped the device with the agent on the phone yesterday with no luck. I have also reloaded the operating system and tried numerous bat pulls to no avail. I am convinced it is a physical problem within the phone. I have read numerous cases of people having the same problem. Some were able to resolve it and some were not and got a replacement. I guess I should just call tech support when the phone arrives and discuss the issue before I chance getting hit with $500 charge. Would taking both the old and the replacement into a VZW store be better than calling tech support about this issue?
    02-24-09 01:30 PM
    Store has a little more leeway in that you can discuss it with a person and work something out. You may be able to do that with a tech rep first as well, but you may want to check out your options and make the arrangement for a waterdamaged phone return BEFORE sending it back. See if they'll work something out like i detailed above, otherwise they'll just charge you for it and you'll be SOL.
    02-24-09 01:34 PM
    What do you all mean "water" "red" indicators and .75 and .103. I've only had my Storm for 2.5 weeks and your threads here is news to me??? Can someone clarify.
    02-24-09 01:37 PM
    What do you all mean "water" "red" indicators and .75 and .103. I've only had my Storm for 2.5 weeks and your threads here is news to me??? Can someone clarify.
    two differnt issues. there are water indicators in the phone that bleed if they get wet. His have bled so somehow liquid got into the phone, could be accidental from a spill (alot) or even something as little as keeping the phne in the bathroom while ina shower.

The OS he was explaining is that hes had the same problem on both versions of the OS so it's probably not a software issue.
    02-24-09 01:41 PM
    No you will not be charged the full retail if it has damage and you have insurance. $50 Deductable for damages done to phones thru verizon. Water damage, lost, stolen etc. You will be charged up to $300 if you do not return a damaged phone to Asurion within 15 days of you getting the new one. Talk to Verizon and check the Asurion website. Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center then select carrier. Infomation can also be recieved by calling their customer service. (1-888-881-2622) That is the purpose of paying insurance on the phone to NOT have to pay full retail for a new phone.
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 02-24-09 at 01:51 PM.
    02-24-09 01:45 PM
    I think the idea is that he either does not have insurance or is avoiding it (my experience with customers getting asurion replacements is pretty bad, they dont seem to be up to par alot of the itme)
    02-24-09 01:49 PM
    LOL. thats a different ball game. haha!
    02-24-09 01:51 PM
    yea that's why i was trying to verify to make sure theyre actually bled on the water indicators. each manufacturer uses different types so for some people it can be confusing.
    02-24-09 01:55 PM
    Okay, the inside indicator is red so it has turned. The battery indicator is slightly smeared so I guess it is too. The phone does not have water damage in my opinion. It has been in the bathroom while I have taken showers. I also take it to the gym with me and use it as my ipod so it could have been exposed this way. I do have insurance but am avoiding using it bc I don't think the camera is worth $50 when the phone functions perfectly other than the camera. I got the phone 3 weeks ago so I feel VZW should replace the phone because the camera does not work and never has worked. I just didn't notice that it didn't work for a few weeks because I never used it. What I am saying is that if I have to pay anything, I would rather keep my current phone since it works just fine other than the cam.

I will call customer service when the new one arrives and discuss this issue. If they try to charge me, I will just be mad and send the new one back. I am saving my insurance and my money for when I actually mess my phone up myself. So that being said, any tips to try and make this come out in my favor? Thanks for the help so far.
    02-24-09 02:27 PM
    Just be civil and reasonable. As I said before, getting all mad and rude will just have them notating that on your account and your next attempt at anything will just be that much harder. (sorry took me so long I fell asleep, damn 5 am gym)
    02-24-09 05:11 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD