So I got my Storm in January, and it was fine for a little bit. Then it started rebooting when I would receive any messages, or sometimes for no reason at all. Called VZW, they said it sounded like software, so they had me wipe the phone with instructions not to install any software for a week to see if that fixed the issue. Next day, same exact problems, so I called and they sent me a new one. Well, now my new phone has been here 2 weeks now, and no restarting issues, BUT (DUN DUN DUN) now I am having the screen click issue. I have to press REALLY hard (to the point of make the LCD ripple) to possibly get any response.

What I would like to happen is get a brand new. non refurbished, guaranteed phone, or I would even take a lesser phone at this point. I am greatly disappointed with RIM for shoving out such a severly defective phone.

Thanks for those of you that took the time to read this, and to those that chose to respond
    03-11-09 09:35 PM
    your ranting is totally understood. i got a storm a week ago today and am having the same restarting issues. i am trying everything to try and deal with it because this is my first blackberry and i LOVE it and could never go back to another sort of phone. just try and be patient with it. if mine keeps having restarting issues i am going to call verizon and get a different type of blackberry. i understand how you feel though. i want this phone to work so badly and am trying to wait for the software upgrade. i wouldnt recommend installing the leaked updates because i have heard some serious horror stories. so you aren't the only one!
    03-12-09 11:51 AM
    What I would like to happen is get a brand new. non refurbished, guaranteed phone, or I would even take a lesser phone at this point. I am greatly disappointed with RIM for shoving out such a severly defective phone.
    I'll just say that a phone being new is no guarantee that it will be free of defects. Defects, sadly, are just a natural byproduct of mass production. You can't possibly test every unit out of tens of thousands or millions.

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. An unrelated, but somewhat similar example... My job is basically doing hardware warranty repairs on computers. One rather unfortunate lady had to have her laptop motherboard replaced 5 times before finally finding one that worked... At least so far. Time will tell whether or not the thing is ever back in my office for a fresh round of motherboard replacements.

Sometimes people are just unlucky and defy the odds when it comes to repeatedly getting bad parts. You might go through 3-4 new in box units that are all junk, and then get a single refurb that's perfect, or the other way around.
    03-12-09 12:32 PM
    These problems are very common. At this point the Storm is good for tinkering around with "leaked" OS's and not much else. If you need a reliable device get something else, the problems with the Storm probably will not get fixed, ever.
    03-12-09 01:02 PM
    These problems are very common. At this point the Storm is good for tinkering around with "leaked" OS's and not much else. If you need a reliable device get something else, the problems with the Storm probably will not get fixed, ever.
    Pay no attention to one of the personae of our resident troll. Everything that isn't the Jesus Phone is automatically inferior and unworthy of anyone's time/attention according to him. The Jesus Phone is another device that took 6-7 months to really get most of the kinks worked out of it, not that people remember this now that we're into year 4 of AT&T's 5 year exclusive contract to sell the Jesus Phone.
    03-12-09 01:14 PM
    Pay no attention to one of the personae of our resident troll. Everything that isn't the Jesus Phone is automatically inferior and unworthy of anyone's time/attention according to him. The Jesus Phone is another device that took 6-7 months to really get most of the kinks worked out of it, not that people remember this now that we're into year 4 of AT&T's 5 year exclusive contract to sell the Jesus Phone.

Pay no attention to one of the personae of our resident troll, BM2. Everything that isn't BB is automatically inferior and unworthy of anyone's time/attention according to him.

If the iPhone would have had the same quantity and magnitude of issues that the Storm has, it would not have made it to year 4.

The Storm is a still-born pile of steaming poo!
    03-12-09 05:24 PM
    It's so funny, yet sad, that any problems with the Storm immediately bring out the iPhone vs. Storm drama. I had an iPhone previously, and I liked it. I do remember having problems with it, though I never had this many. I do understand new technology comes with its problems. I did call Verizon today, and should have my replacement Monday.

As far as using a leaked OS, I have had a lot of fun with them. A few actually lessened the amount of restarts on my original Storm, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that a leaked OS could cause the screen to stop clicking :P

I do really enjoy this phone, and would still recommend it to anyone in the market (though maybe not for a few more months).

Thanks everyone for hearing me out, the words of encouragement, and the fights, lol.

Long live CrackBerry
    03-12-09 05:33 PM
    Here's some advice, get rid of it. Just like I did, I hated that thing, and most people I talk to in person--not on this site (yes most, some do like it, so far, they are female and it's their first BB) hate it too.
    03-12-09 05:36 PM
    People lets not flame someone who is having problems with the storm. There are reasons why we are in BB family. Everyone knows that ALL of our storms react to software (leaked or official) differently. Some have had no issues and others have had multiple. If I were you (to the OP), I would call vzw for a replacement until you get a decent device. Just remember that no device is completely perfect and flawless. Good luck.
    03-12-09 05:39 PM
    Pay no attention to one of the personae of our resident troll, BM2. Everything that isn't BB is automatically inferior and unworthy of anyone's time/attention according to him.
    You don't know what a persona is do you? And I'm not talking about like the video game series Persona.

If the iPhone would have had the same quantity and magnitude of issues that the Storm has, it would not have made it to year 4.
    It DID have many of the same issues as the Storm in it's first year. There were patches to fix call dropping issues, there were iTunes service outages rendering the phone largely useless, and Apple has been tweaking it little by little over the years. But it took them 6-7 months to really get it to a point where most of the major issues were addressed. No one remembers this sort of thing at this stage in the game. In another 6-7 months from now, no one will remember the rough start the Storm got off to. I still expect that by June it will the device everyone expected, or close enough.

The Storm is a still-born pile of steaming poo!
    Pretty much every phone could be described that way. It's just a matter of does the maker of the phone stand behind it and improve it post-launch. Apple has, RIM has, Microsoft has sort of if you count the continual development of WinCE/Mobile.

Apple just had a few key things working in its favor:

1: They bought up a failed company founded by a guy who is something of a visionary in the touch interface field and set him loose to make the Jesus Phone
    2: It being their first entry into the cell phone arena, no one had any real idea what to expect, unlike with a Blackberry
    3: It being their first entry into the cell phone arena, they didn't have to worry about things like backwards compatibility and balancing the old with the new
    4: It being their first entry into the cell phone arena, they could focus all their attention on the Jesus Phone

Part of this is why I think RIM should just scrap the current BB OS, and build a whole new one, from scratch, then launch a new brand around it. They can keep the BB OS around and it will be for BB devices, which will be marketed at enterprise users... RIM's core customer. The new OS and brand will be aimed more at the average consumer. Much faster development pace, much more willing to try new ideas, and can cater to the people who want to live on the bleeding edge. Later on, features can be cherry picked to be included in the main BB OS.

I don't expect this will happen any time soon. That kind of expenditure would be a tough sell even if economic conditions were the opposite of what they are now. Right now, it just wouldn't even be considered.
    03-12-09 06:02 PM
    Bigman are you kidding us? The iPhone did NOT have the kind of issues the Storm has had since launch. Thats just all out misinformation.

Yes it had it's share of problems but they were not even close to what you are seeing with the Storm.

No where do I remember people buying vacuum cleaners, business cards, torx and super glue to get their iPhone to work. Nor do I remember a massive amount of people burning through 3+ devices due to touchscreen problems. Lets not even get into the other issues camera, video, mms.....

You downplay the build quality of the Storm and the mess of an OS called 4.7.

Why? Because yours works fine? Look behind you, there is a nice long line of people behind you with VERY serious issues and VALID complaints.
    03-12-09 06:17 PM
    You don't know what a persona is do you? And I'm not talking about like the video game series Persona.
    Uh, I do know what persona means, and sorry I don't play video games anymore, nor do I know of what series you trying to reference. No matter.

It DID have many of the same issues as the Storm in it's first year. There were patches to fix call dropping issues, there were iTunes service outages rendering the phone largely useless, and Apple has been tweaking it little by little over the years. But it took them 6-7 months to really get it to a point where most of the major issues were addressed. No one remembers this sort of thing at this stage in the game. In another 6-7 months from now, no one will remember the rough start the Storm got off to. I still expect that by June it will the device everyone expected, or close enough.
    June huh? Gotta bookmark this thread!!! Oh and the rest of that paragraph is pretty much total BS. iTunes service outage causing the phones to be useless? What? You mean the couple of days of activation issues due to the shear VOLUME of early adopters killing the servers?

June... lol...

Part of this is why I think RIM should just scrap the current BB OS, and build a whole new one, from scratch, then launch a new brand around it. They can keep the BB OS around and it will be for BB devices, which will be marketed at enterprise users... RIM's core customer. The new OS and brand will be aimed more at the average consumer. Much faster development pace, much more willing to try new ideas, and can cater to the people who want to live on the bleeding edge. Later on, features can be cherry picked to be included in the main BB OS.
    YES FINALLY we can agree on something!!!
    03-12-09 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD