It's not a new cool device anymore. It's a smartphone with BES email and BBM. I rarely go on the internet with it anymore unless I'm going to my online bank and transferring money from savings to checking or something.

I've got some pretty good games, played them all to death. Poynt comes in handy sometimes. GolfGPS is sorta interesting, but don't get out to the course that much anymore. Google Maps if I get lost, which is not often, or when I need to find an address.

Have 2 dozen full length movies on my SD card, nice to know I can watch one if I'm in the mood and not around a TV. Have 300 songs that are my favorite, listen to them a lot, but....

But I'm not very excited. Heck, even upgrading to an new OS is getting old hat.

Us geeks need more frequent cool stuff to do....

11-20-10 10:33 AM
    you need to find another phone with a different platform perhaps i think you know what i mean there too lol
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-20-10 at 10:54 AM.
    11-20-10 10:38 AM
    you need to fine another phone with a different platform perhaps i think you know what i mean there too lol
    huh?

10chars
    11-20-10 10:45 AM
    I think he's talking about the platform that starts with an A, ends with a d. It also features a, subjectively, cool looking mascot.
    11-20-10 10:50 AM
    It's not a new cool device anymore. It's a smartphone with BES email and BBM. I rarely go on the internet with it anymore unless I'm going to my online bank and transferring money from savings to checking or something.

I've got some pretty good games, played them all to death. Poynt comes in handy sometimes. GolfGPS is sorta interesting, but don't get out to the course that much anymore. Google Maps if I get lost, which is not often, or when I need to find an address.

Have 2 dozen full length movies on my SD card, nice to know I can watch one if I'm in the mood and not around a TV. Have 300 songs that are my favorite, listen to them a lot, but....

But I'm not very excited. Heck, even upgrading to an new OS is getting old hat.

Us geeks need more frequent cool stuff to do....

Just admit it; much like me, you'll likely end up with an Android phone before too long. Unless...RIM knocks one out of the proverbial ballpark with the next iteration of the Storm (and SOON) with a larger screen, QNX (along with tons of good apps), hotspot capability, and a blazingly fast browser. I was using my S2 today to TRY to bring up discus comments on Engadget. I gave up after waiting more than 3 MINUTES. That's just not cool, that I'm paying for DATA, but the BB platform throttles the internet down to an unusable trickle except for the lightest of web pages. Enough of this! The slowness of browsing is even worse than Apple's lack of Flash on their mobile devices.

My wife, who BEGGED me to buy S2's after a horrible experience with the original storms, really likes the various androids we've looked at in the stores. With her on board to make the switch, I just KNOW an Android is a-coming!
    Last edited by dave1812; 11-20-10 at 10:53 AM.
    11-20-10 10:51 AM
    Dave, have you tried using any of the third-party browsers? Save Bolt's load lag, it renders pages pretty well. But, i'd have to hand it opera mini. Despite debatable methods, it gets things rendered quickly.
    11-20-10 10:53 AM
    Dave, have you tried using any of the third-party browsers? Save Bolt's load lag, it renders pages pretty well. But, i'd have to hand it opera mini. Despite debatable methods, it gets things rendered quickly.
    yup, I've got Bolt on my phone. Don't really like it, and Opera? Ugh! NONE of them holds a candle to browsing on an Apple or android phone. I WISH they did, but for me, they just don't cut it.
    11-20-10 10:54 AM
    lmao dave is seeing the light even!
    11-20-10 10:56 AM
    It is nice knowing I can view a web page in its entirety if I want, or need, to.
    11-20-10 11:03 AM
    Just admit it; much like me, you'll likely end up with an Android phone before too long. Unless...RIM knocks one out of the proverbial ballpark with the next iteration of the Storm (and SOON) with a larger screen, QNX (along with tons of good apps), hotspot capability, and a blazingly fast browser. I was using my S2 today to TRY to bring up discus comments on Engadget. I gave up after waiting more than 3 MINUTES. That's just not cool, that I'm paying for DATA, but the BB platform throttles the internet down to an unusable trickle except for the lightest of web pages. Enough of this! The slowness of browsing is even worse than Apple's lack of Flash on their mobile devices.

My wife, who BEGGED me to buy S2's after a horrible experience with the original storms, really likes the various androids we've looked at in the stores. With her on board to make the switch, I just KNOW an Android is a-coming!
    Well, probably you're right. I'll look at S3 but it better be BETTER. Company is now allowing other platforms to replace BES, and that was why I started out with Storm(1) and then S2.

For me to stay the S3 better be a small Playbook, LOL.

Even considering going with HP Slate and Win7 phone..eeeek !!!!!!!!!!

Those devices can integrate to my Company IT infrastructure already (read Enterprise ready already, RIM). They could well replace my laptop and BB I think.
    11-20-10 11:06 AM
    Was a Storm user at launch and switched to a Storm 2 back in April. I also will likely go Android when LTE Android phones become available. QNX seems promising but not going to get excited about it till there are actual working phones out there.
    11-20-10 11:07 AM
    Oh, and Dave and Matt, make sure to PM me your user names on the Android or Window phone forums so I can continue to enjoy your jocular banter.....

Mine will remain the same if available...
    11-20-10 11:12 AM
    I think what's being left out to a degree is, the waiting game some are willing to play. I was pretty patient with the Storm series, and snagged up the Storm 2. That device had plenty of potential, but I think software hurt it in the end. I did the same thing with Android. Plenty of buzz has been generated over time with the G1 when it came out; and now the Droids, especially the second iterations.

I think, when QNX gets rolled out, there's a high possibility of the first batch syndrome. Things will, then, get patched, updated; additionally, hardware capability will be improved along the way. The only question for RIM is, can they fulfill the latter requirement (for consumers in mind) expediently enough.
    11-20-10 11:13 AM
    I think what's being left out to a degree is, the waiting game some are willing to play. I was pretty patient with the Storm series, and snagged up the Storm 2. That device had plenty of potential, but I think software hurt it in the end. I did the same thing with Android. Plenty of buzz has been generated over time with the G1 when it came out; and now the Droids, especially the second iterations.

I think, when QNX gets rolled out, there's a high possibility of the first batch syndrome. Things will, then, get patched, updated; additionally, hardware capability will be improved along the way. The only question for RIM is, can they fulfill the latter requirement (for consumers in mind) expediently enough.
    Well, most consumers are pretty non-technical and really aren't playing the "waiting game". For those of us with higher level of technical knowledge and skills, we know what the possibilities are, so we get impatient because we can't have it now.

We're basically a no-win situation for RIM or any manufacturer because we keep abreast (I usually try to keep two close by, LOL) of current trends in hardware and software. Impossible for any phone maker to keep up with us.
    11-20-10 11:21 AM
    Well, probably you're right. I'll look at S3 but it better be BETTER. Company is now allowing other platforms to replace BES, and that was why I started out with Storm(1) and then S2.

For me to stay the S3 better be a small Playbook, LOL.

Even considering going with HP Slate and Win7 phone..eeeek !!!!!!!!!!

Those devices can integrate to my Company IT infrastructure already (read Enterprise ready already, RIM). They could well replace my laptop and BB I think.
    Hehe! Nah, despite loving Win 7, I'm not a big fan of WinMo phones. I also have zero love for the Zune interface. I don't want Win 7 on a tablet, either. So I guess that rules out MS mobile products.
    11-20-10 11:36 AM
    It's MY tablet, and I want it NOW! hehe.
    11-20-10 11:56 AM
    Oh, and Dave and Matt, make sure to PM me your user names on the Android or Window phone forums so I can continue to enjoy your jocular banter.....

Mine will remain the same if available...
    im the same everywhere lol
    11-20-10 01:06 PM
    I have to agree. I loved my storm but I have a feeling that in 2 years it will still only be refreshes coming out. I'm bored with the platform. I just sold one of my s2's on eBay for $290 and one on Craigslist for $265. I wanted to get rid of them before they were worth nothing anymore. My wife now has my bold 9650. For now I went back to one of my spare 8330's. It will be a painful wait using it but I will continue to use it till something I really want comes out whether it be blackberry or most likely android. I will never speak badly about either because I have a love for both but I think its about time to see the other side in full.

Whats difficult is seeing how android devices have came a long way in a short amount of time and blackberry has came a short way in a long amount of time. You cant even compare the 2 anymore IMO.
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 11-20-10 at 03:31 PM.
    11-20-10 02:03 PM
    Anyone willing to sell their 9550? If so, for how much?
    11-20-10 03:00 PM
    Everyone complaining about there S2's..I have 7mb free app memory right now lol feel for the first gen users at least you guys can install apps when you please

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 04:25 PM
    you know, app downloading does catch up to you in time. Even on my phone, I notice my space filling up sooner than I would have anticipated. It was the same way when I had the storm2, as well.
    11-20-10 05:54 PM
    My S2 has always run well (as did my S1), but it can't even come close to my Droid X. This thing does everything better and faster. I gave the S2 to my wife and whenever I have to do something with it, I feel like I just got in a car with windows that have an actual crank to roll up and down. In computing terms, it would be like comparing a Windows 3.11 machine to Windows 7. RIM was at the top of the heap 5 or 6 years ago. The problem is that they have not done anything new since then.
    11-20-10 08:19 PM
    I know the feeling. I had the Storm 2 for a year and just switched to the Samsung Fascinate. What a world of difference, internet on the Storm was just to painful to try to use, on the Fascinate it is a whole new experience.
    11-20-10 08:46 PM
    You guys actually like Android? I tested the Samsung Galaxy Tab and thought the hardware was great but I hated the OS. Only good things were swype, the browser and some of the 3rd party apps. Even the video player had problems. No offense to Google, but they can have the OS. The only real problem I have with the BB OS is the browser since I'm not a big app person anyhow.

When it comes down to it, Android still couldn't match BB for messaging and communications and that to me is the whole reason I have my BB. So Android is definitely not for me (too bad though as I seriously liked the hardware).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 12:23 PM
    I actually do. It does take some getting used to. BlackBerry OS very bare bones, and straightforward. This allows people to get into it really quickly. I remember while I was on the Storm 2 and came to the idea of Android peaking the tweaker in me. Well, over time, especially with having been running Linux full-time, the tweaker in me took over; hence, my recent purchase. Being able to load custom roms has been a ride for me. I get to test which ones work best with my device. This kind of goes hand in hand with a portion of the Linux mindset. Of particular interest, is the switching out of keyboards; I personally haven't changed out my virtual keyboard, as the stock fits me fine.

At the same time, I really wanted to mess with the Google Nav program, and i haven't looked back since getting a taste of it for real. I really think it's better than the garmin unit I bought a time ago.

Messaging for me on Android has been fine. Since I'm a google user, primarily, the email management on the Droid has been sufficient. Granted, I realized there is a thing, or two, I'll miss. I don't have to wait for the rest of my messages to load, is one example. Unified inbox is something understandable for people to miss, but I guess I can live without it.

Oh, and wireless tether does rock.

The one thing I know I won't miss is, truncated email via BIS.
    Last edited by lssanjose; 11-21-10 at 01:02 PM.
    11-21-10 01:00 PM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD