I've been reading this forum like crazy the past few days in preperation for my Storm arrival tonight. Here is what I came up with but also need additional guidance.

- Open box check what OS version I have (update if necessary to the latest final release .75 in this case)
    - Resize or remove the stock pictures on the device
    - Move the cluttered icons into folders
    - Remove voicemail program and VZW navigator
    - Sync contacts, pictures, calendar from old phone
    - Install other applications (Google Maps, slacker.com, AIM, etc)
    - Setup email accounts (BIS)
    - Backup the device again in case I wipe it in the future this would serve as the base model to work off of.
    - Copy music to the device (storage card)

Let me know what you think of my list and if I should add/remove/change anything. Also please let me know where/when would be a good time for a battery pull during this process (if necessary).

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by itznin; 02-13-09 at 12:05 PM. Reason: updated the list
    02-13-09 08:38 AM
    Your checklist seems pretty good to go. You probably left out on purpose or forgot, but make sure that your battery is fully charged before doing anything. I noticed that you said that you are going to wipe right off the bat. You never have to do a mandatory wipe before install an OS and is a matter of personal preference. When you do the install it will do the wipe before installing the new OS. The OS installation process will also do a backup and restore of your bb. But I always do a manual backup incase something goes wrong with the installation. If you plan to use the weatherbug app, I wouldn't remove BB Maps since it is needed by the app. I would also do the backup after setting up your email accounts, that way if you hide or change the mail folders, their settings will be retained. I usually do a battery pull after installing the new OS and right after restoring my 3rd party apps backup. This clears any residual trace left after the installation process. The only real addition that I have to your checklist is to read the Storm Tips, How To & FAQ while waiting for the OS to install.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ArmaK; 02-13-09 at 09:17 AM.
    02-13-09 09:12 AM
    Your checklist seems pretty good to go. You probably left out on purpose or forgot, but make sure that your battery is fully charged before doing anything. I noticed that you said that you are going to wipe right off the bat. You never have to do a mandatory wipe before install an OS and is a matter of personal preference. When you do the install it will do the wipe before installing the new OS. The OS installation process will also do a backup and restore of your bb. But I always do a manual backup incase something goes wrong with the installation. If you plan to use the weatherbug app, I wouldn't remove BB Maps since it is needed by the app. I would also do the backup after setting up your email accounts, that way if you hide or change the mail folders, their settings will be retained. I usually do a battery pull after installing the new OS and right after restoring my 3rd party apps backup. This clears any residual trace left after the installation process. The only real addition that I have to your checklist is to read the Storm Tips, How To & FAQ while waiting for the OS to install.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/

Thank you for the input. Assuming my Storm comes with the latest official OS and I don't plan to upgrade to any of the Beta's does it make sense to wipe at all?

Does the battery have to be fully charged if I plan to do all of the above while on AC power?

I've read of a bunch of people having trouble with the weatherbug app, I might be better off just bookmarking the weather.com site for my town which is what I have on my TREO now.... I don't want to waste memory on an app like weatherbug that may waste memory.

Does it make sense for me to install/remove all programs, set all settings with the email applications as you recommended and then back that up, wipe and restore?
    02-13-09 09:29 AM
    I would unbox the phone and charge it fully. After it is charged, i would uninstall the video voicemail app and vz navigator. You say you are going to uninstall BBmaps, but keep in mind google maps cannot yet use the device's gps, so if you are looking for spot on directions, i would stick with bbmaps for now. reorganize your icons, configure your settings, etc. then before you install any programs i would install the .103 os. It's very solid and makes the phone run so much faster. Yes, i understand the want to keep an official release on your phone...but the fact is, 103 is leagues ahead of 75 in both speed and stability. I went from 75, to 99, to 103, and i would never go back to 75 due to the speed and stability increase. Once you upgrade the OS, if you choose to, install programs, email accounts, and verify contacts, etc. Once your phone is set pretty much the way you want it, i would do a full backup. then enjoy!
    02-13-09 11:20 AM
    I would not recommend uninstalling BBMaps... Lots of apps rely on it, google maps, lots of the weather apps, etc...

I made this mistake once and was pulling my hair out trying to get one of the weather apps to work, until I found it required BBMaps, lol..

-Corey
    02-13-09 11:45 AM
    - Open box check what OS version I have (update if necessary to the latest final release .75 in this case), make setting modifications, backup and wipe the device. (I read you should always wipe it before using?)
    - Restore the device after wiping
    If this is your first device, 99.99% sure it will be .75. There's no need to wipe the device right when you get it. It should be a fresh OS and at the License Agreement when you turn it on

- Resize or remove the stock pictures on the device
    - Move the cluttered icons into folders
    - Remove voicemail program and VZW Navigator (I will also remove bberry maps since I'll be using google maps - I will keep bberry messenger)
    this is personal preference^^^ I only uninstalled VZNav since I don't pay for it, don't need it. My icons got split into personalized folders that make sense to me. I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you!

- Sync contacts, pictures, calendar from old phone
    - Install other applications (Google Maps, slacker.com, AIM, etc)
    - Setup email accounts (BIS)
    - Backup the device again in case I wipe it in the future this would serve as the base model to work off of.
    - Copy music to the device (storage card)
    check. check. check!

sounds like you'll be good to go! I would also recommend charging the battery all the way up before any heavy use. Once it's fully charged, you should be good to go. I always fully charge, then drain all the way so the radio cuts off, then fully charge again, but i'm always paranoid about battery life, lol

Be sure to hit us up if you have any problems after getting it
    02-13-09 12:01 PM
    Thanks - I just updated the main list

Edits:
    - Removed the initial wipe
    - Removed the line about removing bberry maps (meaning I will be leaving bberry maps installed)
    02-13-09 12:06 PM
    thanks for the checklist. i'll be doing these things when i get my storm next week. good luck!
    02-13-09 03:05 PM
    I just got my Storm this week and I took a different approach. I am keeping the .75 OS for a while so that I can become more familiar with the devices. This allows me to figure out what it can do and what it cannot do. Set this as my baseline. Then I might upgrade to the beta OS. In that way, if new issue arises, I know it is caused by the new OS and not the device itself.

I did not install WeatherBug. Instead, I visit the web site using the browser. It won't take up your device memory. The only apps I installed were Google Latitude, Facebook, and VZ Navigator. I exit out of the VZ Navigator every time after using it, so it is not a problem to me. Google Map works fine for me. It locates me every single time when I click on the blue dot. I have read that some people are having problem with Google Map. I suspect it is caused by the beta OS. That's why I am keeping the .75 OS for a while to be absolutely sure.

02-13-09 03:20 PM
    I just got my Storm this week and I took a different approach. I am keeping the .75 OS for a while so that I can become more familiar with the devices. This allows me to figure out what it can do and what it cannot do. Set this as my baseline. Then I might upgrade to the beta OS. In that way, if new issue arises, I know it is caused by the new OS and not the device itself.

I did not install WeatherBug. Instead, I visit the web site using the browser. It won't take up your device memory. The only apps I installed were Google Latitude, Facebook, and VZ Navigator. I exit out of the VZ Navigator every time after using it, so it is not a problem to me. Google Map works fine for me. It locates me every single time when I click on the blue dot. I have read that some people are having problem with Google Map. I suspect it is caused by the beta OS. That's why I am keeping the .75 OS for a while to be absolutely sure.

What is your application memory at? I heard people are having probles with Google Maps and memory leaks....

I am also going to keep .75 for now and go from there.
    02-13-09 03:36 PM
    Yesterday after some heavy usage, my app memory dropped from 20+MB to 17MB. I have set the Memory Cleaner to come on when it is locked. And later, it went back up to 20+MB. Right now, my application memory is at about 17MB again.

Although I cannot be 100% sure, but I suspect the Google Map problem and the memory leak problem are caused by the installation and uninstallation of applications on the devices. That's why I am taking this approach of not making too many changes to the device at the beginning. Keep it as a virgin if you will. And find out if there is any issue first. You cannot troubleshoot if you have made too many changes right away.

Last edited by substring; 02-13-09 at 04:20 PM.
    02-13-09 04:17 PM
    What is your application memory at? I heard people are having probles with Google Maps and memory leaks....

I am also going to keep .75 for now and go from there.
    I am running Sith's Hybrid V.3 and am consistently running in the high 30's low 40's in App Memory...I was running in the 20's and teens as the previous poster is when I was using the official OS. I understand the uneasiness of loading an unofficial OS, but it is much faster, and is stable for me...and I have memory that stays well above what I had before...just my 2 cents...enjoy your Storm.

BTW, I run Google Maps with no problems...no memory leaks for me...
    02-14-09 08:07 AM
    I am running Sith's Hybrid V.3 and am consistently running in the high 30's low 40's in App Memory...I was running in the 20's and teens as the previous poster is when I was using the official OS. I understand the uneasiness of loading an unofficial OS, but it is much faster, and is stable for me...and I have memory that stays well above what I had before...just my 2 cents...enjoy your Storm.

Thanks for the info. That's something I am looking forward to. But I still need to do some more testing with the base settings first.
    02-14-09 08:16 AM
    Definitely check to make sure the screen clicks good in all corners and edges. If it doesn't take it back and you will get a new one.

02-14-09 08:40 AM
    You don't like the VZ nav? It's FABulous! Tehy have a promotion where you can try it for free for 30 days. Try it. I love the movie info and the 'price per gallon' gas prices!
    02-14-09 08:44 AM
    You may want to add one of the bat pull apps such as QuckPull or SoftReset. some do a "soft" bat pull in the afternoon to increase memory. Good luck and have fun with your Storm.
    02-14-09 09:00 AM

I'm a big advocate of installing the betas but if you don't start with the original for a while you may not appreciate them as much.

To the OP, I would stay with the OS that is on it for at least a few days to see how it runs, then once you've "gotten used to it" upgrade to a leak. You will appreciate it more that way
    02-14-09 09:11 AM
    Try to get VZN to transfer your address book and help setup your email accounts WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN THEIR STORE !

See if they will show you how to setup your email filters.

Doctor Neutron
    02-14-09 09:39 AM
    Try to get VZN to transfer your address book and help setup your email accounts WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN THEIR STORE !

Doctor Neutron
    This is a good tip... they will do it for you right there in 60 seconds... Had to take my son to get this done on his Sway last night. Yes, I want to get my 11 year old a BB, but this is on his grandparent's plan. Being a single dad has its limits.
    02-14-09 09:52 AM
    This is a nice service vzw offers to transfer your contacts. However if you are using a leaked OS on your old phone they might not be able to transfer. I had to do mine at home on the computer.
    02-14-09 10:31 AM

Doctor Neutron
    I'm already up and running, all of my contacts/calendar were already in Outlook so the sync was not an issue. This was probably the easiest of everything I had to do!
    02-14-09 12:25 PM
    You may want to add one of the bat pull apps such as QuckPull or SoftReset. some do a "soft" bat pull in the afternoon to increase memory. Good luck and have fun with your Storm.
    Yup this is my next step...
    02-14-09 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD