I had been keeping my eye on the Storm for about 8 months before launch. I was looking forward to getting my hands on one. I had switched over to Verizon back in March of this year so I wasn't able to upgrade.

I know this because I spoke with customer service to get this straightened out. After putting up a bit of a fuss on the phone I gave up and figured I would just wait until March.

Coincidentally (not really, from what I've read on these forums), a few days later I received one of the Pre-Holiday flyers stating that I was eligible for an early upgrade. Just to be sure I called the closest corporate store (Grandville, MI) to verify. The rep I had spoken to had no idea about the flyer but said it would be honored.

Friday morning comes, I get out of work early and I make my way to Grandville (I saw that dealing with a corporate store will yield better luck). The normal hour and fifteen minute drive turned in to just over two hours due to a snow white-out over the first 40 miles of my trip. I had no business being on the road but I was determined.

I arrive in Grandville at 5am and drive by the store, no one was there yet so I stopped in to Steak & Shake and had some grub. I get back to the store, still the only one in line. People being arriving within 20 minutes or so. We had heard that store was only getting 15 phones in and would be opening at 8am. By the time 8am rolled around there were 10 of us. They let us in after standing in sub-30 degree weather for 2 and a half hours and I was the first to be waited on. The rep beings setting up my phone when she looks up my account and sees that I'm not eligible for upgrade until March. I explained the situation and gave her the postcard. A manager is called over and takes a look at everything. Turns me away, flat out. Nothing he can do. I'm so irate at this point I can't even begin to berate this guy. I just walk out.

I immediately call up Verizon support, they give me the same spiel. Even with the postcard, they can't do anything until March. They inform me that I can pay retail. I tell them something unpleasant. So, in an effort to get to the bottom of this useless postcard I cross the street and go to the Verizon kiosk in the Rivertown Mall. I used to live in Grandville so I am familiar with the area and have used this kiosk in the past.

I walk right up the kiosk, there's a few people standing around getting their Storms activated. I see a supervisor and hand her the postcard. "What does this mean for me? Can I get a Storm upgrade now or not?" "Yes, of course we can do that for you. We have one left!" At this point, I didn't believe her until it was rung up. But everything went through as it should have. I asked why I would have been turned down across the street and she didn't really have an answer. Something about that store having 3 different managers over the past few months and a complete lack of proper communication with staff. But that still didn't explain why 611 would tell me the same.

Regardless, I was pleased that I got my phone despite all the headache. And I send my best to the Rivertown staff for getting this done for me. You have my thanks.
    11-23-08 11:36 PM
    I had been keeping my eye on the Storm for about 8 months before launch. I was looking forward to getting my hands on one. I had switched over to Verizon back in March of this year so I wasn't able to upgrade.

I know this because I spoke with customer service to get this straightened out. After putting up a bit of a fuss on the phone I gave up and figured I would just wait until March.

Coincidentally (not really, from what I've read on these forums), a few days later I received one of the Pre-Holiday flyers stating that I was eligible for an early upgrade. Just to be sure I called the closest corporate store (Grandville, MI) to verify. The rep I had spoken to had no idea about the flyer but said it would be honored.

Friday morning comes, I get out of work early and I make my way to Grandville (I saw that dealing with a corporate store will yield better luck). The normal hour and fifteen minute drive turned in to just over two hours due to a snow white-out over the first 40 miles of my trip. I had no business being on the road but I was determined.

I arrive in Grandville at 5am and drive by the store, no one was there yet so I stopped in to Steak & Shake and had some grub. I get back to the store, still the only one in line. People being arriving within 20 minutes or so. We had heard that store was only getting 15 phones in and would be opening at 8am. By the time 8am rolled around there were 10 of us. They let us in after standing in sub-30 degree weather for 2 and a half hours and I was the first to be waited on. The rep beings setting up my phone when she looks up my account and sees that I'm not eligible for upgrade until March. I explained the situation and gave her the postcard. A manager is called over and takes a look at everything. Turns me away, flat out. Nothing he can do. I'm so irate at this point I can't even begin to berate this guy. I just walk out.

I immediately call up Verizon support, they give me the same spiel. Even with the postcard, they can't do anything until March. They inform me that I can pay retail. I tell them something unpleasant. So, in an effort to get to the bottom of this useless postcard I cross the street and go to the Verizon kiosk in the Rivertown Mall. I used to live in Grandville so I am familiar with the area and have used this kiosk in the past.

I walk right up the kiosk, there's a few people standing around getting their Storms activated. I see a supervisor and hand her the postcard. "What does this mean for me? Can I get a Storm upgrade now or not?" "Yes, of course we can do that for you. We have one left!" At this point, I didn't believe her until it was rung up. But everything went through as it should have. I asked why I would have been turned down across the street and she didn't really have an answer. Something about that store having 3 different managers over the past few months and a complete lack of proper communication with staff. But that still didn't explain why 611 would tell me the same.

Regardless, I was pleased that I got my phone despite all the headache. And I send my best to the Rivertown staff for getting this done for me. You have my thanks.
    That is darn near my story to the letter!!!

On Tuesday I go to a Corp store and the guy there says the Storm is not part of the Pre Holiday Sale. I go to a kiosk in the mall near my work and that corp store and the lady says sure we can give you that promotional price. I tell I will see you on Friday morning....early!

Sure enough I am there at 6:45am (2nd in line) and I got my Storm. I needed 2 but there was an issue with a payment not showing as being posted and I had to get to work, but she called me at 11:30 to see when I would make it back to the mall cause she only had one left and was holding it for me. Needless to say I rushed back and got my second Storm! She is now my first contact for any purchases I need to make!
    11-23-08 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD