Whenever I get a VM, I notice that I also get an SMS with the following from Voice Mail

1 NEW VMAIL 0 URG 0 FAX *86

That seems to indicate to me that the Storm has the ability to receive faxes (note that I never used to get SMS before I upgraded to .109--the SMS looked different)

Does this mean that the phone has the ability to receive faxes? If so, does anyone know how? Do I need special software?
    03-02-09 12:15 PM
    I read on here before that it can basically "hold" faxes somehow but that you can't access them on the phone itself. Not sure how you go about retrieving them.
    03-02-09 12:17 PM
    Strange...never heard or even considered this before, but it would be a great feature

also, a tip, when you get that SMS about you voicemail, if you look at the sender field it has the number/contact that left you the vmail i just figured this out recently and found it very helpful (now i dont have to check my vmail constantly to sort out important messages :P)
    03-02-09 12:27 PM
    The fax is through visual voice mail I belive. I used to have it on my voyager and it basically is a holding point for faxes. When you receive a fax it goes to you're vm and you call your vm and send it to another fax number to be printed out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 12:30 PM
    Strange...never heard or even considered this before, but it would be a great feature

also, a tip, when you get that SMS about you voicemail, if you look at the sender field it has the number/contact that left you the vmail i just figured this out recently and found it very helpful (now i dont have to check my vmail constantly to sort out important messages :P)
    Visual Voice Mail has spoiled me already, lol. Though it comes at a cost.
    03-02-09 12:31 PM
    Visual Voice Mail has spoiled me already, lol. Though it comes at a cost.
    haha i wish, im already shelling out ~$90 a month for a fairly basic plan (250 texts, 450 peak minutes, BB unlimited data plan) so im not willing to drop any more $$$ into verizon's pockets for visual vmail

one thing im grateful though, unlimited nights, weekends, and IN calling
    added all together i go through about 2500 minutes a month
    03-02-09 12:36 PM
    its not through VVM, but an add on called "enhanced voice mail"...basically this lets you store the messages longer on the verizon servers (40 days as opposed to 20) and it lets you receive faxes. The downside to this is when you do get a fax, the only way to retrieve it is to call your VM mailbox, go to that fax message and then call out to a local fax machine....that is the only way to get that fax to print out...its a real pain!!!!
    03-02-09 12:58 PM
    its not through VVM, but an add on called "enhanced voice mail"...basically this lets you store the messages longer on the verizon servers (40 days as opposed to 20) and it lets you receive faxes. The downside to this is when you do get a fax, the only way to retrieve it is to call your VM mailbox, go to that fax message and then call out to a local fax machine....that is the only way to get that fax to print out...its a real pain!!!!
    so then, besides it being portable fax storage, theres nothing more to it?

that blows :/
    would it be possible to create an app where you just put in the fax# and it prints all your faxes automagically? (after setting up the password and such to access your mailbox)

id pay for something like that..
    03-02-09 01:50 PM
    so then, besides it being portable fax storage, theres nothing more to it?

that blows :/
    would it be possible to create an app where you just put in the fax# and it prints all your faxes automagically? (after setting up the password and such to access your mailbox)

id pay for something like that..
    I actually used this tonight, and I didn't even know about it until I read this thread. You can set it up through your voicemail options to automatically print your faxes through a preset number. According to the VZ rep I spoke to, it's an option with your visual voicemail. I don't get faxes usually, but I think it's pretty cool.
    03-04-09 01:21 AM
    I have pretty much the same thing through Bell. I actually have a separate fax number and they show up in my voicemail. You check your voicemail and then tell it where to send the fax - current number, if I'm calling from a customers fax machine or a number to send the fax to - hotel. I used to find it useful but now it is kind of redundant when things get faxed to email instead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD