The more i think about it, RIM is trying on purpose to alienate alot of developers.

While the Storm is a more consumer based phone (they all are, but the Storm is geared toward the masses more than other models, since other berries are really business centered)

To make itself distinct from Apple which is THE CONSUMER device with pathetic business use Apple pretty much lets anything go in the app store that they dont conceive as a threat (and Apple runs it with a tight ship on the other side)

So what can RIM do? Regulate it a la Apple or say there is a 200 dollar buy in, but you can make that money back if your software doesnt suck. Im thinking this is the route RIM is taking but they left a free catergory to get that "penetration" of people to use Apps and hopefully they will move on to paying apps.
    03-05-09 01:10 PM
    I'm all for complaining when it's

A. In the right forum
    B. When you actually have something to complain about

A: It's in the right forum.

B: Who are you to judge what is a legitimate complaint?
    03-05-09 01:12 PM
    THANK YOU DMG!

I'm getting sick of all the whiney threads on here. No one is forcing you to keep the Storm....

I'm extremely happy with my Storm
    No one is forcing you to read the R&R forum. If you are happy with your Storm, why come here at all? Are you just looking for an argument? That's sad....
    03-05-09 01:17 PM
    i dont pay for apps on my ipod/iphone or storm

if its not free, its not worth it
    That's real American of you. I want people to devote their time and effort into something and give it to me free. Could you imagine going into a car shop because your breaks don't work and saying "Hey I want this done for free because it's not worth it"

I actually agree with DMG, if u dont like it then dont use it its rather simple, but I see it as another option that we didnt have before...I will take my storm with app world over storm without it....
    Exactly no one is holding a gun to your head.

LMAO! You started a complaint thread to complain about those constantly complaining. Guess you became what you hated.

Here's some food for thought. Customer complaints are what drives companies to change or improve a product or service. If no one complained about the Storm, how quickly do you think RIM would fix it? All of this "shut up if you don't like it" mentally sounding the Storm it childish. People have a right to complaint about a product or service that they are paying for. If you are satisfied with yours then go back to the fanboy threads and enjoy. Or perhaps you just don't get the CONCEPT of what a rant and rave forum is????
    I atleast post in the right forum . They are posting their garbage in the wrong forums lol.

I don't have a problem with people posting a problem etc, what is driving me crazy is how much people over react to even the smallest things. Here are some things in the past people have absolutly flipped out over

The gap around the screen
    The clicking noise
    Wobbly Buttons
    Not Enough Apps
    Not Enough Free Apps
    Overpriced Apps
    No Wifi

I can go on forever, but my point is people flip out for like a week straight and then you never really hear about it again. It just sort of fades out and no one really cares anymore. They realize it's not that big of a deal and they move on. I'm trying to open their eyes and tell them it's not that big of a deal and move on already.
    03-05-09 01:19 PM
    We are the ones to judge ironically enough if that answers your question. This miserable forum has been open for awhile now and its easy to tell a legit complaint against some troll vying for attention. By the way very few companies use third party forums as a reputable source for customer satisfaction

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 01:23 PM
    A: It's in the right forum.

B: Who are you to judge what is a legitimate complaint?
    A: No, it's not look in the 3rd party forums and see all the complaining threads. I'm not talking about the threads in the R&R forum I'm talking about all the other threads outside this forum.

B. I'm not a judge, but when people don't have facts and they just base their rants off of what they've heard and stuff like that it's not a legit complaint to me. That's like me starting a thread saying I'm outraged that RIM uses little kids as punching bags to relieve stress. If I have no facts to back that up how can I seriously complain about it?

No one is forcing you to read the R&R forum. If you are happy with your Storm, why come here at all? Are you just looking for an argument? That's sad....
    Only a few threads are actually in the R&R forum most of them are in all the other forums
    03-05-09 01:23 PM

I can go on forever, but my point is people flip out for like a week straight and then you never really hear about it again. It just sort of fades out and no one really cares anymore. They realize it's not that big of a deal and they move on. I'm trying to open their eyes and tell them it's not that big of a deal and move on already.
    Maybe it's because they are as big of a smartphone fanatic as you and I?

If they didn't care so much, they wouldn't bother to post. At least that's the way I see it. Most people do exactly what you described. Buy the device. Find out they don't like it. Return it and move on to something else. The ones here that are complaining are the true (wannabe) LOVERS of the Storm that can't part with it, but are also having a hard time living with it. Otherwise, I doubt they'd bother to post. Just my thoughts.
    03-05-09 01:24 PM
    A: No, it's not look in the 3rd party forums and see all the complaining threads. I'm not talking about the threads in the R&R forum I'm talking about all the other threads outside this forum.

B. I'm not a judge, but when people don't have facts and they just base their rants off of what they've heard and stuff like that it's not a legit complaint to me. That's like me starting a thread saying I'm outraged that RIM uses little kids as punching bags to relieve stress. If I have no facts to back that up how can I seriously complain about it?

Only a few threads are actually in the R&R forum most of them are in all the other forums
    I get it now. Most of the threads aren't started here. They are moved here. My apologies.
    03-05-09 01:25 PM
    Maybe it's because they are as big of a smartphone fanatic as you and I?

If they didn't care so much, they wouldn't bother to post. At least that's the way I see it. Most people do exactly what you described. Buy the device. Find out they don't like it. Return it and move on to something else. The ones here that are complaining are the true (wannabe) LOVERS of the Storm that can't part with it, but are also having a hard time living with it. Otherwise, I doubt they'd bother to post. Just my thoughts.
    This is true I guess. Complaints are a weird way of showing you care about something. Either that or you're mad you don't have an iPhone.

I think there are a few people that truely care about the phone and would love to help improve the phone.

At the same time though I think there are tons of people who wish they had an iPhone and are trying to evolve the storm into one.
    03-05-09 01:28 PM
    I get it now. Most of the threads aren't started here. They are moved here. My apologies.
    No problem
    03-05-09 01:28 PM
    I'm with you 1000% DMG! I would also like to add that you are one of THE best developers of free & low cost apps. You and MikeSE.
    03-05-09 01:31 PM
    We are the ones to judge ironically enough if that answers your question. This miserable forum has been open for awhile now and its easy to tell a legit complaint against some troll vying for attention. By the way very few companies use third party forums as a reputable source for customer satisfaction

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah. I don't think so dude. "We" is a fairly subjective term. Do you mean WE the fanboys who think the Storm is fine as is and STFU if you don't like it? Or WE the ones who are RIM fans and like the Storm enough to continue using it even with it's flaws and hope for better? Or WE the ones who are STUCK using this device because we bought it and kept it for more than 30 days with the promises of an official, stable OS which hasn't been delivered and now we can't return it, so we want to complain about it until it meets our satisfaction?

Which "WE" do you actually speak for? Because I've encountered all of the above WEs' at this site.
    03-05-09 01:31 PM
    Exactly, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
    Meh, actually it is a lot greener.

App World = RIM Epic Failure #2

03-05-09 01:33 PM
    This is true I guess. Complaints are a weird way of showing you care about something. Either that or you're mad you don't have an iPhone.

I think there are a few people that truely care about the phone and would love to help improve the phone.

At the same time though I think there are tons of people who wish they had an iPhone and are trying to evolve the storm into one.
    I think you have something with that last quote for sure. The problem is that ever since the release of the iPhone, everyone else has been working on the "iPhone killer". And before anyone says that it was never advertised as such, I will remind you of the VZW info sheet instructing sales people how to convince potential customers of how much better the Storm is than the iPhone.

And like it or not, RIM, at least with the Storm, is trying to mimic the iPhone model. I don't see that as a bad thing, but if you are going to tout a "touch screen, music, video, apps store, etc., people are going to make that assumption and naturally compare the two.

I love my iPhone but trust me, in the iPhone R&R forums, you'll see all sorts of people still griping about no MMS, C&P, video capture, stereo BT, etc. I hope that they keep screaming loud enough that we finally get those things...
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 03-05-09 at 01:41 PM.
    03-05-09 01:38 PM
    Nice posts man no flame just a ty for your in put
    03-05-09 01:41 PM
    Meh, actually it is a lot greener.

App World = RIM Epic Failure #2

You're right who needs good service when you can drink a virtual beer.

Plus how can something that hasn't even been released yet be an epic failure?
    03-05-09 01:45 PM
    I think you have something with that last quote for sure. The problem is that ever since the release of the iPhone, everyone else has been working on the "iPhone killer". And before anyone says that it was never advertised as such, I will remind you of the VZW info sheet instructing sales people how to convince potential customers of how much better the Storm is than the iPhone.

And like it or not, RIM, at least with the Storm, is trying to mimic the iPhone model. I don't see that as a bad thing, but if you are going to tout a "touch screen, music, video, apps store, etc., people are going to make that assumption and naturally compare the two.

I love my iPhone but trust me, in the iPhone R&R forums, you'll see all sorts of people still griping about no MMS, C&P, video capture, stereo BT, etc. I hope that they keep screaming loud enough that we finally get those things...
    Ohh RIM and Verizon both tried to advertise this as the iPhone killer and I think a lot of people were brainwashed into thinking the storm was going to be exactly like the iPhone. Lots of people have been let down because they can't make virtual popcorn etc. It seems that the more this phone steers away from being like the iPhone the more people start to flip out.
    03-05-09 01:49 PM
    I'm with you 1000% DMG! I would also like to add that you are one of THE best developers of free & low cost apps. You and MikeSE.
    Thanks =)

I definitely know when an app should be free and when it should cost money. I will be one of the developers who will release free apps in the App World too. I'm not going to charge for something that only takes me a few hours to code.

Nice posts man no flame just a ty for your in put
    Thank you =)
    03-05-09 01:51 PM
    Surprised our resident troll, in either form he chooses to present himself in, hasn't shown up yet. Ah well...

Just have to say I generally agree. You don't like it, go somewhere else. I get tired of people who have to make everything into some kind of a pissing contest. If someone's happy with their Razr V3m, how does that have any impact on me, or you? You don't like paying $3 for an app, then don't. And it's not like developers weren't releasing apps for the Storm before the app store showed up, so developers that want to release their app for free will be able to do so still.

The app memory thing is something that should be addressed by RIM, but all things considered, it's something that should be more of an afterthought to most people.
    03-05-09 01:51 PM
    You're right who needs good service when you can drink a virtual beer.

Plus how can something that hasn't even been released yet be an epic failure?
    True. But you could also have good AT&T coverage and:

Logmein Ignition that will allow you to remotely manage all of your servers and desktops, Mac or PC.
    Evernote
    Chase Mobile
    Slacker Radio that doesn't crash when you get an email
    Amazon
    Expense Tracker
    Package tracking
    Unit converters
    VNC
    Kindle Reader
    FTP
    SSH Console
    Power Point presenter

and so on and so on. So, beer drinking may not be the shining jewel of the iPhone App Store, but there are many other jewels in the crown. However, there are only a few thousand business apps to choose from.

Remind me again, was the first Storm app a fart maker or a lightsaber??
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 03-05-09 at 01:59 PM.
    03-05-09 01:57 PM
    Yeah. I don't think so dude. "We" is a fairly subjective term. Do you mean WE the fanboys who think the Storm is fine as is and STFU if you don't like it? Or WE the ones who are RIM fans and like the Storm enough to continue using it even with it's flaws and hope for better? Or WE the ones who are STUCK using this device because we bought it and kept it for more than 30 days with the promises of an official, stable OS which hasn't been delivered and now we can't return it, so we want to complain about it until it meets our satisfaction?

Which "WE" do you actually speak for? Because I've encountered all of the above WEs' at this site.
    WE know the phone is making progress, those RIM employees that post here can vouch for that. While i post that my phone is perfect sarcastically its not, but im satisfied with my product 90% of the time...i've yet to come across a true RIM fanboy here, and ive seen alot of them in my day on videogame forums.

Honestly, and i mean anyone else feel free to chime in. If you bought the phone, went over 30 days and cant return it...whose fault is that you keep the phone? You can easily "cut your losses" sell the phone for about 350 on EBAY or craigslist, pay the 175 cancellation fee and only be about 50 dollars short on a Iphone or whatever else you want. The WE that say they are stuck with the phone arent. Same thing for people who got them thru work. Im sure if you wanted a different model Blackberry, HR isnt going to throw a hissy fit if its cheaper...so i really refuse to believe some people

PS you'd know the real RIM fanboys if they are like the PC fanboys and call everyone on the other side MacFags...just a lil FYI lol
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 03-05-09 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added a bit extra
    03-05-09 02:08 PM
    WE know the phone is making progress, those RIM employees that post here can vouch for that. While i post that my phone is perfect sarcastically its not, but im satisfied with my product 90% of the time...i've yet to come across a true RIM fanboy here, and ive seen alot of them in my day on videogame forums.

Honestly, and i mean anyone else feel free to chime in. If you bought the phone, went over 30 days and cant return it...whose fault is that you keep the phone? You can easily "cut your losses" sell the phone for about 350 on EBAY or craigslist, pay the 175 cancellation fee and only be about 50 dollars short on a Iphone or whatever else you want. The WE that say they are stuck with the phone arent. Same thing for people who got them thru work. Im sure if you wanted a different model Blackberry, HR isnt going to throw a hissy fit if its cheaper...so i really refuse to believe some people

PS you'd know the real RIM fanboys if they are like the PC fanboys and call everyone on the other side MacFags...just a lil FYI lol
    But what you fail to understand is that something that is 90% acceptable for you may only be 50% acceptable for someone else. The fact that you or anyone else who is happy with their Storm doesn't help the next guy. Do you honestly think that anyone who is dissatisfied with their Storm, to whatever extent, is going to read that DevilDrifter is happy with his and tell themselves that since you are happy, they should just suck it up?

Many users post that they don't care if the next guy is unhappy with his device. So why should the next guy care if you are happy with yours? When you do that, you serve no purpose other than to get stroked by all the other Storm users who are happy. That's what they call "preaching to the choir". Or in show business, "cheap applause". Come on stage and say "Let's hear it for our brave fighting men and women" and get crowed clapping.

People who are posting rants (trolls aside) are not looking for someone to name call them or to give them grief. They've had enough grief. They just need a place to vent. PERHAPS get a little moral support from someone who has had the same experience. Another RIM user who was/is disappointed as well. Or a word of encouragement to hang in there because it will get better.

Either way, I think the retorts to the complaints are worse and serve less of a purpose than the complaints themselves.
    03-05-09 02:25 PM
    Those with legit rants are the ones who dont get torn apart.

I even try to help those who do have issues with their phone, because in a true rant, there is a problem that is making the user irritable...but maybe they cant diagnose the situation so they just post post about how it upsets them, and people come in and see whats up.

Now, the difference in how we judge what we deem a rant and someone seeking attention/trolling is in the eye of the beholder. If you decided that the Storm wasnt for you, and move on thats cool, wish you well and be on your way. If you decide to come on here, call the phone hot garbage and try to belittle other Storm users, and make false statements, or just to say i bought Iphone and the Storm sucks, we have a problem and thats 95% of the threads under the R&R section unfortunately
    03-05-09 02:47 PM
    I admit I think the name is kind of cheesy, but I don't have a better idea...lol! I also admit that I think the pricing thing is odd. Not because I won't pay $2.99 for apps but because I think an app should be priced according to it's value and if it's value is $1.99 or $.99 then it should be possible to sell it for that.

But those are just nitpicks. Otherwise I'm cool with whatever. I have used PayPal since the beginning of time and I'm not afraid of that, so no complaints there. Mostly though I'm just happy to see it coming! No point making a big deal out of the little things.
    03-05-09 03:04 PM
    So dmg your not offering a new app here?

Oh.

Ok then back to the 3rd party app section. . . . .
    03-05-09 03:08 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD