I am a noob in the upgrading OS aspect for sure. What's everyones thoughts on their method of upgrading their OS? Via DM or OTA?? This I guess excludes Mac users since they dont have this option. Im asking this question b/c this is the first time i will be upgrading my OS on my storm and Im thinking about going the DM route. I havent backed up anything to my PC yet either nor have I loaded DM onto it. Recommended?? Ive been hesitant on loading DM onto my PC as well b/c I heard it slows it down a bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
    06-01-09 09:51 AM
    06-01-09 09:55 AM
    Did my upgrade via DM with no issues and it appears to be much quicker then the OTA upgrade (from what I've read on CB)
    06-01-09 09:59 AM
    To the OP use your DM unless you can't. It easier and straightforward that most people think. With the OTA, sure the phone does it for you but if something goes bad you don't where the problem is.
    06-01-09 10:02 AM
    To the OP use your DM unless you can't. It easier and straightforward that most people think. With the OTA, sure the phone does it for you but if something goes bad you don't where the problem is.
    Hmm thanks guys i think i will be using the DM. While doing this is there any risk of my contact info, or any info for that matter, getting wiped?? I've been reading, w/o knowledge of method etc, that some people having been having issues. Also is it as simple as connecting it to the PC via usb and letting it rip??
    06-01-09 10:07 AM
    Hmm thanks guys i think i will be using the DM. While doing this is there any risk of my contact info, or any info for that matter, getting wiped?? I've been reading, w/o knowledge of method etc, that some people having been having issues. Also is it as simple as connecting it to the PC via usb and letting it rip??
    Yes... there is always that risk. Back everything up. User information and 3rd party apps (two different processes). Better safe than sorry.
    06-01-09 10:12 AM
    I would back-up my device with DM and also back up third party apps using DM. There are links about it just search backup apps title only

First I install my desired o/s on my pc. Then I use JL_Cmder v1.9.1 (which you can get from crackberry site just search for it) to wipe my device. Then when device gives me error 507 no o/s loaded, I go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder and click on app loader. Don't forget to delete vendor file if it is not a leaked o/s.

That seems to be the easiest and cleanest for me
    06-01-09 10:25 AM
    Desktop Manager > backup/restore > create backup.

Access: backup/restore > my docs > loaderbackup - (yr-mo-day).ipd > backup file.
    06-01-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks guys! Is it imperiative that i wipe the device before i install the new OS??
    06-01-09 10:33 AM
    Thanks guys! Is it imperiative that i wipe the device before i install the new OS??
    no, it is not "required" some ppl like to wipe before upgrading, some say it isn't necessary, it all comes down to personal preference
    06-01-09 10:35 AM
    Just fallow the sticky on my signature

good luck
    06-01-09 10:37 AM
    Did my upgrade via DM with no issues and it appears to be much quicker then the OTA upgrade (from what I've read on CB)
    Me too...hope the same holds true for my wife's phone when she finally lets me pry it out of her hands...
    06-01-09 10:39 AM
    Just fallow the sticky on my signature

good luck
    Speaking of your signature, please check your PM box.
    06-01-09 10:39 AM
    no, it is not "required" some ppl like to wipe before upgrading, some say it isn't necessary, it all comes down to personal preference
    I am with driftdevil with this one. No need to do a data wipe, unless you had a bad initial install.
    06-01-09 10:40 AM
    Yea I'll see how is goes tonight w/o a wipe. Hopefully flawlessly lol... Thanks for all the comments. If im missing something keep em coming!!!!
    06-01-09 11:04 AM
    Flawless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!! LOL. Thanks so much for all your help everyone it was easy as ****! One more question the icon with the blue background and 2 white up arrows, do i need to keep that on my PC?? Its the new OS version of the phone .148. What should i keep and what shall i delete. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-02-09 12:23 PM
    DM

10char
    06-02-09 02:20 PM
    DM

10char
    What??? Not sure what you mean
    06-02-09 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD