Looks like everyone has to catch up to Symbian.

Gartner posts worldwide mobile OS numbers for 2008

Interestingly, Apple had incredible growth. But still lags behind both RIM and WinMo OS devices. Wonder how they'd do if they didn't have just 3 iPods in the market (guessing the stats account for iPod Touch usage on the web).
    Last edited by kuroshio; 03-13-09 at 08:23 AM.
    03-13-09 07:49 AM
    Interestingly, Apple had incredible growth. But still lags behind both RIM and WinMo OS devices.
    Apple has 1 phone. Those numbers are rather significant considering that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 09:07 AM

not really. consider they built their consumer base on the momentum of the best selling music/media player in history (the ipod in case you're a little slow), ran the largest marketing campaign in history for the iphone release, and then basically had no competitors in the touchscreen phone market for a few years...and then consider they have only half the share that rim does in a market that's decidedly moved more towards consumer functionality than business functionality, it doesn't seem that significant then does it.
    03-13-09 09:39 AM

Actually they are extremely significant. But I also think the overall #s are a forecast.

Apple jumped into the scene and grabbed a huge market share with just 2 phones. However, the market is dominated by multiplatform operating systems.

Everyone keeps saying that everyone has to catch Apple and in terms of polish / ease of use, I believe that's true. But Apple has to catch RIM and Symbian if they want more than a niche of the market, imo. Their fanbase and the 'new' factor carved them a spot in the market. But if they don't go multi-platform, if they stick to just the iPhone, they'll stay where they are.

Love the Storm? Love the iPhone? Doesn't matter. We all hate WinMo. WinMo still has a larger market share simply because of the sheer # of platforms its on. RIM's 96% increase in market share between 2007 - 2008 can't be pinned on any single phone, but on the increase of different handsets to different carriers worldwide.

I see it as Apple having 3 choices:
    • Be satisfied with the niche they have
    • Take the same approach they did with the iPod and create more of a 'Mac OS ' lineup of smartphones (an iPhone with a keyboard for the non-touchscreen people in the world for example)
    • Break their exclusive contract with AT&T and begin offering the iPhone to more carriers
    03-13-09 09:56 AM
    Actually they are extremely significant. But I also think the overall #s are a forecast.

Apple jumped into the scene and grabbed a huge market share with just 2 phones. However, the market is dominated by multiplatform operating systems.

Everyone keeps saying that everyone has to catch Apple and in terms of polish / ease of use, I believe that's true. But Apple has to catch RIM and Symbian if they want more than a niche of the market, imo. Their fanbase and the 'new' factor carved them a spot in the market. But if they don't go multi-platform, if they stick to just the iPhone, they'll stay where they are.

Love the Storm? Love the iPhone? Doesn't matter. We all hate WinMo. WinMo still has a larger market share simply because of the sheer # of platforms its on. RIM's 96% increase in market share between 2007 - 2008 can't be pinned on any single phone, but on the increase of different handsets to different carriers worldwide.

I see it as Apple having 3 choices:
    • Be satisfied with the niche they have
    • Take the same approach they did with the iPod and create more of a 'Mac OS ' lineup of smartphones (an iPhone with a keyboard for the non-touchscreen people in the world for example)
    • Break their exclusive contract with AT&T and begin offering the iPhone to more carriers
    Great post. I do agree....

Off topic but it kind of ties into your last point about the device being offered to more carriers. AT&T is going to be adding 3000 new employees to their wireless department. They are going to be building up their infrastructure it appears (better network/ more reliable coverage perhaps?)

2010 is when the contract runs out and it is rumored that the iPhone will make its way to VZW then.

Perhaps AT&T is improving their network so they do not lose their existing and potential customers when the iPhone is released to other carriers as you suggested.

*edit: no idea why your quotes came out jacked up. Looks good while editing but format is jacked when posted*

Last edited by cereal killer; 03-13-09 at 11:28 AM.
    03-13-09 11:26 AM
    Off topic but it kind of ties into your last point about the device being offered to more carriers. AT&T is going to be adding 3000 new employees to their wireless department. They are going to be building up their infrastructure it appears (better network/ more reliable coverage perhaps?)

2010 is when the contract runs out and it is rumored that the iPhone will make its way to VZW then.

Perhaps AT&T is improving their network so they do not lose their existing and potential customers when the iPhone is released to other carriers as you suggested.
    It will be interesting to see what AT&T does. I've also read things about improving their infrastructure, but I don't know if it will have the impact that most would hope. I *think* the real problem with their network is the frequency range (high) over which they operate vs Verizon which utilizes a much lower range (don't know the exact freq.) which penetrates building/objects/etc. MUCH better, thereby providing a much more stable and available signal for any device to operate over.

I really don't see Verizon ever getting an Apple product until Jobs is out of the picture entirely. You don't **** in his Wheaties and get away with it.
    03-13-09 01:19 PM
    not really. consider they built their consumer base on the momentum of the best selling music/media player in history (the ipod in case you're a little slow), ran the largest marketing campaign in history for the iphone release, and then basically had no competitors in the touchscreen phone market for a few years...and then consider they have only half the share that rim does in a market that's decidedly moved more towards consumer functionality than business functionality, it doesn't seem that significant then does it.
    Wait till they throw a jab ( OS 3.0 ) followed by a hard right ( new iPhone june/july ) for the K.O.

Lifes a biatch ; )

Like Apple or not they do know how to brawl. That's why the fanboys hate them so much.

03-13-09 05:24 PM
    It will be interesting to see what Apple does. I do like the iphone, but I like the functionality of the BB better. If only the Storm was a better product...

03-13-09 07:23 PM
    Wait till they throw a jab ( OS 3.0 ) followed by a hard right ( new iPhone june/july ) for the K.O.

Lifes a biatch ; )

Like Apple or not they do know how to brawl. That's why the fanboys hate them so much.

I don't believe 3.0 will have much affect on the market, I think. People that don't own an iPhone but have interest in possibly buying one won't jump to do so with an upgraded phone on the horizon. 3.0 is mostly going to be a test drive of the new OS (Yup, every non-jailbroken iPhone user just got conscripted into being a beta tester).

As for whatever they're getting ready to release in July... Well tbh, we're gonna have to wait and see. There's very little ground left to break in the market currently, IMO. Nobody is prepped for LTE / WiMax. There's the rumor of a possible video calling on the next iPhone but I don't see that being much more than a fad if its true. Mostly because it'll be limited to other Apple products...

And the rest of the world just ain't Apple
    03-13-09 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD