66 70.97%
  • TeleNav

19 20.43%
  • Other (Please Specify)

8 8.60%
06-03-10 04:03 PM
46 12
tools
    Which of the two has the better search feature (aside from gas prices by grade)? To give you an example of what I consider pretty good: If it were available yet, I would use Windows Live Search--easy access to pretty much everything I've needed.
    Agreed Windows live did everything on windows mobile that these programs offer, exept for turn by turn voice nav.

I'm going to get the trial of Telenav, but both garmin and vz nav both have fuel prices, local search, ext. Garmin does not have movie show times however.
    Last edited by kev83202; 12-24-08 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    12-24-08 03:41 PM
    ok, thx for the help. I know the low post count kills me here as well as ebay. & pardon my not knowing, but when ya'll are talking about garmins on here are you talking about the garmin mobile (gps 20sm)? Cuz I really am not sure if what I'm selling is the same thing ya'll are talking about. I do know what I have is for navigation for Blackberry's. But i was wondering if you had something different. Thx in advance
    12-24-08 05:01 PM
    I have tried both programs so far. The only thing I didn't like about the telenav was the tracking. Well come to find the garmin is the same was. I just want to have the 3d tracking on a program.
    12-24-08 05:21 PM
    I have 3 Garmin Mobile for Blackberrys I'm trying to sell. It contains the GPS 20SM, 1 yr. subscription to Garmin Mobile, dashboard disk, phone charging cable, setup & go guide. They're brand new & still in the box. Someone on here suggested I sell them on the Marketplace but I don't see it anywhere on here. I assumed it was on Crackberry....am I wrong?
    12-24-08 06:38 PM
    I have 3 Garmin Mobile for Blackberrys I'm trying to sell. It contains the GPS 20SM, 1 yr. subscription to Garmin Mobile, dashboard disk, phone charging cable, setup & go guide. They're brand new & still in the box. Someone on here suggested I sell them on the Marketplace but I don't see it anywhere on here. I assumed it was on Crackberry....am I wrong?
    Not relevant to Storm users. The devices you are selling, AFAIK, are for BB devices that do not have integrated GPS. The Storm and Bold both have GPS included and unlocked, which makes the 20SM unnecessary for these. Some of the older devices do not have integrated GPS and the 20SM could be of interest to them.
    12-26-08 07:23 AM

I'm going to get the trial of Telenav, but both garmin and vz nav both have fuel prices, local search, ext. Garmin does not have movie show times however.
    This is one feature I have to say that I really liked about the VZ Nav. When I'm out of town, you can go in and there was something along the lines of "Whats happening" and it gave you all kinds of current events by distance from your current location.
    12-26-08 07:29 AM
    hi im new to both the storm and this forum, hi to all.when i download the garmin trial application it locks up my phone, i cant finish the acceptance terms the touch screen wont move, the back key doesnt work i have to hold down the blackberry key to return to home page, can someone tell me whats wrong?
    06-13-09 04:16 PM
    hi im new to both the storm and this forum, hi to all.when i download the garmin trial application it locks up my phone, i cant finish the acceptance terms the touch screen wont move, the back key doesnt work i have to hold down the blackberry key to return to home page, can someone tell me whats wrong?
    I personally don't use garmin but im thinking that possibly you have to go into the BB's advance options to turn off compatibility mode for the garmin app?
    06-15-09 09:11 PM
    Just to make sure you are getting the version for the Storm, here's link I used, had no problem.
    06-15-09 09:15 PM
    I tried the Garmin Mobile on my Storm and was disappointed with it. Multiple times it didn't have a strong enough signal to find me and just hung. From the same location I shut it down and brought up TELENAV and it did a much better job. Telenav uses the built in GPS and cell tower better than Garmin. It will notifiy you when it's lost contact with one or the other but keeps going, the Garmin would hang. It doesn't look like GARMIN is using the internal GPS as well as the new version of TELENAV
    08-29-09 07:21 PM
    I have subscribed to TeleNav since the beginning and it works fine here in Vancouver and in Toronto. I particularly like the traffic condition warnings. However, it's very slow, misdirected me once in Calgary, and the user interface is pretty bad. Overall though, definitely good enough I no longer pay extra to get GPS on a rental vehicle.

I just tried Garmin Mobile as I have a stand alone Garmin Nuvi 770. I really liked the Garmin Mobile user interface, and it's WAY faster than Telenav to pick up signal initially and find a route. WAY faster. However, it seems to really lack in locating points of interest - I'm 4 blocks from 2 ATM's and it couldn't find any at all, the restaurant listing was empty etc. And I'm in the very popular and active Commercial Drive area of Vancouver.

So I'm torn - GM saves me money as it's fixed price, and it gives me a great UI and lots of speed. But Telenav seems to have way more points of interest.

Anyone have any comments or experiences to share? And any idea how often map updates for Garmin will be delivered, and how?

TIA - R.
    08-31-09 05:55 PM
    No comments on shortage of points of interest with Garmin?
    09-04-09 11:40 AM
    So the Garmin works with verizon as a carrier, I would have thought they blocked GPS with 3rd party apps. (the verizon way)
    09-04-09 12:36 PM
    I tried the Verizon 7-day trial.
    I live in New York City.
    It picked me up as living in Kansas.
    I deleted it.
    09-04-09 02:30 PM
    Telenav has now been down for a week plus, Telus has admitted it's an internal Telus issue and it's also affecting other subscribers. Yet they have no ETA on a fix.

It's also failed on me and required re-installation at two other points since I started using it this spring. Way too unreliable as far as I'm concerned - I'm looking for an alternative.

- R.
    12-18-09 12:25 PM
    I use garmin great app.
    12-19-09 12:08 PM
    Google Maps is not yet utilizing the Storm GPS, AFAIK. Wasn't working for me. Would triangulate cell-towers, but not use GPS.
    BB Maps, works fine and it's free. The down-side is it's not very practical for safe-driving and navigation. You have to manually hit a "Next" button to move the map to your next turn, which is unsafe while driving. There is no spken directions on BB Maps or Google Maps. Neither has voice recognition, though the Garmin Mobile doesn't have voice recognition either. Contacts for BB Maps does not work (at least it didn't when I last used it 2+ weeks ago).

After deciding to keep Garmin Mobile, I uninstalled both Google Maps and BB Maps, as they are now redundent and less functional than Garmin.

Hope that helps.
    False...Google Maps does use the GPS on the Storm, and very effectively.
    12-19-09 01:45 PM
    Thats true what hyperionmark stated google does use the storm gps and it works fine just wished it has the voice turn by turn like it does for the android phones out there.
    12-20-09 10:06 AM
    I use Garmin and love it... any reason to switch to TeleNav? Thanks!
    Hi FictionWeLive. Saw your post re: the Garmin app for BBs, and I noticed that you have a Tour. According to the Garmin Web site, the Tour is not a supported device, but evidently you're not having problems using the app?

Thanks.
    12-31-09 09:09 PM
    I never tried Garmin on the storm. However, I owned 2 Nuvis that were stolen from my car. I vowed to never buy a portable unit again. However, I do like the function of a real GPS unit installed on my phone since it will always be with me.

I tried Telenav, VZNav, BBmaps combined with Poynt, Google maps combined with poynt, Bing with voice recognition, Urban Horizon for Winmo.

I liked Telenav the best. Garmin was a close second. Urban Horizon is right up there as well. I wish we could pressure them to make a BB version. It has a lot of better functions over both Garmin and Telenav such as displaying buildings and hills. And its 19.99 for the year.

VZnav is very solid for turn by turn. However I was disappointed with the routes it chose. Bing have me the best routes. But its hard to follow the map.

I found adding Poynt to BBmaps made a good combo. Especially since it can track the map as you turn. Google maps were more robust than BBmaps, but the lack of a tracking orientated map puts it on par with Bing minus the voice recognition. Traffic for Bing was the most accurate as well.

Anyhow, I love Telenav, Garmin, and Urban Horizon almost equally. So I would rank by cost. UH is the cheapest at 19.99. However its just a wish right now since no BB version has been released. Garmin at $80 is the best deal since it is a one time cost. To me there will always be differences between Telenav and Garmin. Its like Tom Tom vs Garmin. They are both very useful, and preference may be a minor difference.
    01-01-10 11:30 AM
    Does anyone know if Garmin is blocked on the Rogers network? Telenav is great but I hate having to pay $120/mo forever.
    06-03-10 04:03 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD