When I input a location to go to, it works fine--tracks up in both 2D and 3D (depending on your choice), shows and speaks distance until next turn, etc--acts just like a Nuvi. When I just use it to show where I am driving -- that is, when I just use "View Map" -- it does not allow for tracking up. Instead, all I get (when it is not panning, that is) is a wider view of a larger area with North always at the top of the screen no matter which way I am facing or which way I am driving.

What I would like is for the Garmin Mobile to allow me to track up, regardless of which direction I am driving. Is this the way it is built, or does anyone else have the ability to track up (either in 2D or 3D) in just the "View Map" mode?

Thanks.
    12-16-08 07:56 PM
    the little triangle points your direction. If you are just walking or driving without navigation it will just pan which ever direction you go. You don't need to be going straight if you're not following directions anyway?

The map is just to show your current location anyway, not for tracking
    12-16-08 08:00 PM
    I think what he is saying is that say you are walking or driving and have the unit on. If you are moving in a westerly direction, the arrow points to the left and moves left even though you are moving forward (which would be up on the screen). It could get confusing as you are moving forward and the triangle is moving to the left.

I havn't found a way to do this without navigating a specific route when it does track properly.
    12-17-08 04:14 PM
    I "discovered" this myself this morning on the way to work.

If you do not set a destination, the map takes your initial location of when you clicked "View Map", but then does not move the map as you drive along. You can manually pan it, but what a PITA.

I hope this is a bug that Garmin will soon fix.
    12-19-08 04:54 PM
    I was wondering this also. If the app has the ability to do 3d routing why can it not do 3d tracking. I bought this and the telenav to see which one i liked better. At first it was a no brainer and I wanted the garmin. Now that I used the garmin I cannot get it to go into 3d tracking mode. Anyone know how or if this is possible. I searched and this post was the closest I found.
    12-24-08 12:45 AM
    Please somebody has to know the answer. I posted in another thread about this. This will be the deciding factor in keeping it or not. Thanks in advance guys.
    12-24-08 10:13 AM
    Does this work as good or better than VZnav and what does it cost? where can i get it?
    12-24-08 11:10 AM
    Does this work as good or better than VZnav and what does it cost? where can i get it?
    No, $100.00 (one time charge) and i think it's orange.garmin.com

and i have no idea about transfering if you change phones but they do have a week free trial that i am trying, just want something decent thats not $10.00 a month. Would love to fing a free GPS based app with turn by turn since we have free GPS, maybe someone will develop it (hint hint)
    02-13-09 02:46 PM
    What you see is called "North Up" and not "Track Up". You get Track Up when routing, and North Up when just viewing. This is an option on their dedicated units. They should be able to incorporate this in the BB software too.
    02-13-09 03:07 PM
    Garmin app RULES over VZ nav.
    Just not shellin out 100 for the app. since I got GPS on the Car and motorcycle..
    02-13-09 03:07 PM
    Personally not much of an issue for me. I don't think i'd want to use Garmin just to follow me when I'm not navigating, as Garmin (and other GPS apps) drain battery life more than just about anything.
    02-13-09 03:10 PM
    Since we are discussing, I have a question about Garmin with OS updates. What do you usually do to make sure your Garmin is working and activating after an OS update. I figure that most people back-up their 3rd party apps and have to re-enter passwords, etc., but my concern is that when I reload Garmin it won't be activated - or is it tied to your PIN number. Any problems there?
    02-13-09 04:33 PM
    Garmin app RULES over VZ nav.
    Just not shellin out 100 for the app. since I got GPS on the Car and motorcycle..
    There are many others (me included) that after trying both find VZ Navigator the better choice. That is with current versions not old ones. Also VZ Navigator looks better IMHO when set to 3D instead of Dashboard view.

I liked Garmin mobile quite a bit at first but by the end of the week chose the other. Things I prefer on Garmin are some of the typing entry modes and the speed display which really only serves to compare to your speedometer. I like some of the searches better on Navigator and the display.

Again to each his own...they are both acceptable.
    02-13-09 06:57 PM
    Garmin Mobile is available from Garmin.com for $80. You will be ahead in $$$ over VZNavigator in the ninth month of ownership.
    02-13-09 07:31 PM
    Since we are discussing, I have a question about Garmin with OS updates. What do you usually do to make sure your Garmin is working and activating after an OS update. I figure that most people back-up their 3rd party apps and have to re-enter passwords, etc., but my concern is that when I reload Garmin it won't be activated - or is it tied to your PIN number. Any problems there?
    Nope no issues at all and I have loaded several versions of the OS ... even did a wipe once ... Just reloaded the app from the backup of third party apps and away you go.
    02-14-09 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD