Right, the geocode is probably just longitude and latitude of the contact's location. The next time you need to navigate to that contact, Garmin won't have to locate it (by translating from the street address) again.
    01-24-09 09:49 PM
    Does this new Garmin app show a real-time traffic flow/report similar to VZ Navigator ?

Doctor Neutron
    01-25-09 12:20 AM
    heard that Garmin Mobile can show you gas prices. I just bought the software a couple days ago, and don't see how to do this.
    01-25-09 01:54 AM
    heard that Garmin Mobile can show you gas prices. I just bought the software a couple days ago, and don't see how to do this.
    same here, i heard of this feature but i can't find it. i am contemplating buying it, i have a navi system in my car but would like to also have one on my phone if it has gas prices and movie times i will buy it. but until i find out if this feature actually exists im on the fence
    01-25-09 10:32 AM
    01-25-09 10:34 AM
    same here, i heard of this feature but i can't find it. i am contemplating buying it, i have a navi system in my car but would like to also have one on my phone if it has gas prices and movie times i will buy it. but until i find out if this feature actually exists im on the fence
    Garmin Mobile definitely gives Fuel prices...
    from home screen, select: Where to / Food, hotel... / Fuel / All with Prices / Select Grade: Regular, mid-grade, Premium, Diesel... display shows list of nearest stations, with price, street address, and distance to location.

Similar procedure gives Theater Names and Locations, but does NOT appear to offer a list of shows or show times...
    01-25-09 03:43 PM
    Garmin Mobile definitely gives Fuel prices...
    from home screen, select: Where to / Food, hotel... / Fuel / All with Prices / Select Grade: Regular, mid-grade, Premium, Diesel... display shows list of nearest stations, with price, street address, and distance to location.

Similar procedure gives Theater Names and Locations, but does NOT appear to offer a list of shows or show times...

:thumbs down:

still on the fence. i love it, but i don't know how much ill use it, and im just a feature nut when it comes to this stuff.
    01-25-09 03:45 PM
    Does this new Garmin app show a real-time traffic flow/report similar to VZ Navigator ?

Doctor Neutron
    not sure about VZ navigator cause I dumped the junk...
    But Garmin does show real time traffic indicators, in the form of a series of roadside icons indicating the trouble spot and the nature of the trouble.

I would prefer the Green (go), Yellow (slow), Red (heavy traffic) road overlays that I've seen on some in-dash Nav screens. Can only hope Garmin might upgrade this display feature with future builds.
    01-25-09 03:51 PM
    I tried out Garmin last week and really liked it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it, but I have two questions that I need to have answered first.

1. Not taking price into account, is there any advantage of buying the Garmin application from Garmin over Handango? The reason I ask is that with the 20% discount and a $10 reward coupon that I have, I could get it on Handango for $69.99. I've read one post from a user who believed there are differences between the Garmin app on Handango and the one sold by Garmin. I find that hard to believe but am wondering if anyone knows for sure.

2. As new updates to the Garmin app come out, how do you update the software? When I had the trial, I couldn't see how this could be done.

3. Assuming that updates to the software are possible (which I imagine they are), can people who get the app from Handango also update easily?

What my questions basically boil down to is whether buying the app from Handango poses any disadvantage because if it does, I would probably just go ahead and pay 10 more bucks and get it directly from Garmin. However, if it doesn't, then I would love to save some money!
    02-14-09 08:12 AM
    I tried out Garmin last week and really liked it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it, but I have two questions that I need to have answered first.

1. Not taking price into account, is there any advantage of buying the Garmin application from Garmin over Handango? The reason I ask is that with the 20% discount and a $10 reward coupon that I have, I could get it on Handango for $69.99. I've read one post from a user who believed there are differences between the Garmin app on Handango and the one sold by Garmin. I find that hard to believe but am wondering if anyone knows for sure.

2. As new updates to the Garmin app come out, how do you update the software? When I had the trial, I couldn't see how this could be done.

3. Assuming that updates to the software are possible (which I imagine they are), can people who get the app from Handango also update easily?

What my questions basically boil down to is whether buying the app from Handango poses any disadvantage because if it does, I would probably just go ahead and pay 10 more bucks and get it directly from Garmin. However, if it doesn't, then I would love to save some money!
    I got it in November, and am very happy. Use it for all my work trips and it's already paid for itself when shopping for cheap gas.

$69.99 is the cheapest price I have seen. I got it from Garmin for $79.99. Handango is reputable, I'd buy from them. If Garmin offers any free upgrades, Handango is sure to honor them. I have version 5.4.2, I have heard people talking about a different version on Handango. I don't understand what that's all about.

There have been no updates for Garmin since released on November for the Storm.
    02-14-09 08:51 AM
    Garmin need to release an update to fix out some of the minor bugs in the app.

says "turn right" shows turn left.
    02-14-09 11:01 AM
    Garmin need to release an update to fix out some of the minor bugs in the app.

says "turn right" shows turn left.
    Back to one of my original questions... when Garmin does eventually come out with an update, will people who bought it from Handango be able to get the update as well?

I'm just trying to determine if there is any reason why I shouldn't buy it from Handango because I can save 10 bucks if I do so.
    02-14-09 12:09 PM
    Back to one of my original questions... when Garmin does eventually come out with an update, will people who bought it from Handango be able to get the update as well?

I'm just trying to determine if there is any reason why I shouldn't buy it from Handango because I can save 10 bucks if I do so.

Why don't you call/email Handango and ask their upgrade policy?
    02-14-09 12:40 PM
    Did they ever fix the music problem? Happens when you have the music player going and the Garmin program gives you a voice direction and the music stops and you have to exit out to start the song again.
    02-14-09 12:56 PM
    is this a feature that is enables when you buy it? I an using the trial version (5.4.2) and I don't see that option.

Bob

[QUOTE=JavaDevelop;1676902]I got it in November, and am very happy. Use it for all my work trips and it's already paid for itself when shopping for cheap gas.
    /QUOTE]
    02-14-09 03:26 PM
    where to>food, hotel...>fuel>all with prices
    02-14-09 03:29 PM
    thanks.

Bob
    02-14-09 03:31 PM
    Why don't you call/email Handango and ask their upgrade policy?
    I appreciate the informative reply, however, if your read my earlier post, I was inquiring more than just their upgrade policy. I'm hoping that people who have the software can shed some light on some questions I have which I very much doubt that someone from Handango would be able and/or willing to answer.
    02-14-09 04:29 PM
    Found this thread after doing a search: Downloaded the 7 day trial and opened it up without a problem, but I have now been stuck on "Aquiring Satellites" for 20 minutes now
    Appreciate the help
    02-15-09 01:38 PM
    Found this thread after doing a search: Downloaded the 7 day trial and opened it up without a problem, but I have now been stuck on "Aquiring Satellites" for 20 minutes now
    Appreciate the help
    Make sure you go into Options - Advanced Option - GPS and set GPS Services to Location On and Location Aiding to Enabled. Also, you must be outside with a relatively unobstructed view of the sky to pick up the satellites.
    02-15-09 02:10 PM
    Thanks that fixed it - With 33 pages on this thread finding information was tough in between all of the folks asking for links, codes and how it compares, etc, etc
    Appreciate your help
    Make sure you go into Options - Advanced Option - GPS and set GPS Services to Location On and Location Aiding to Enabled. Also, you must be outside with a relatively unobstructed view of the sky to pick up the satellites.
    02-15-09 02:18 PM
    Did they ever fix the music problem? Happens when you have the music player going and the Garmin program gives you a voice direction and the music stops and you have to exit out to start the song again.
    No, it still exists. There have been no updates/fixes, since the initial release.
    02-16-09 07:51 AM
    d/l from garmin and no problem

tried to get Weather; location in Florida (I live in Connecticut); location of local post office; and a few others and get the following message

Network connection unavailable. Please try again later. If this problem persists, please contact the serive provide. (code; 405-054)

any ideas what the problem might be. otherwise from only playing a few minutes it's better than my Nuvi 350 and I would have had to spend more to update the maps.

Thanks all. Great and very helpful thread
    02-21-09 04:00 PM
    I have navigated over 18,000 miles on BB STORM/GARMIN since I installed the program a few month ago. Sitting next to my BB STORM, my Magellan 4040 with Traffic Update. So far GARMIN has out performed my Magellan. I paid $350.00 for the Magellan $70.00 for the latest Map upgrade for Magellan, A few streets and freeways added. (Whoopee!) another $60.00 a year for my traffic service. I just gave my daughter my Magellan. We'll see if GARMIN/STORM can last 120,000 miles. My storm might become my Laptops worse Nightmare. Somehow the latest fuel prices are more accurate than the internet LOL!!! Well, maybe that's a little over the top statement. Love the LOCAL TRUCK STOP feature. With they could have included Commercial Trucks as an option in the Transportation Mode. i.e motorcycle/car, walking, bicycle.... One less electronic item that need to be plugged in.
    Last edited by YFZBOB; 02-26-09 at 02:37 AM.
    02-26-09 02:27 AM
    I'm also been a dedicated Tomtom convert for 5+ years, but since its not available on the storm yet, I downloaded the 7 day free trial version from Garmin: full version is �60, before 20% bb lounge discount.

Tried it once...not happy with a few things. The maps weren't detailed enough (I like to know where the rat runs are) and it had a crazy route in mind for my daily commute.

I was going to give it another go but now it has an error message at startup: "unable to authenticate" and after retry: "unable to fullfill request. please try again later. (code:99502-051)

According to a very unsure person at Garmin the software doesn't like 3g? and it runs better on gprs?
    How do I chose what connection method an application uses?
    03-05-09 06:08 AM
581 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD