I was on a flight yesterday, returning home from a business trip. The gentleman sitting next to me on the plane had the iPhone, so we certainly showed each other our toys and compared notes.

I was a little envious that he had his iPhone loaded up with applications, meanwhile my Storm did not have much more than WeatherBug on it. I realize that the Storm has only been out for about two months, however I am wondering if anyone else might be a little concenred that we are seeing very few third-party applications, as well as what appears to be some difficulty in getting stable operating systems.

Anyone a bit concerned about what the future may hold for the Storm or do you predict that we will have pretty much what the iPhone has in the coming months?

Thanks!
    01-24-09 03:09 PM
    The future of the Storm should be pretry darn sexy. Remember, the iPhone was out for almost a year before there were apps and an app store avaliable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 03:12 PM
    There will be plenty of third party apps coming out once the apo store has opened.

01-24-09 03:15 PM
    I was in the same position you were while crammed on the Metro during inauguration weekend. Of course, I am a DC native so I didn't need my Storm to help me figure out where I was/where I was going, but when the out-of-towner whipped out his iPhone to figure his day out, I had to compare.

I don't worry, to be honest. I, too, see the future of the Storm being pretty darn sexy. Keep in mind, I got the Storm specifically because it's a BB. I'm a law student, and plan to go into the illustrious field of 14-hour days and red-eye flights in the not-too-distant future.

If I wanted a toy for a phone, I would have gone the iPhone route. But I'm a big girl now, and I see nothing but good things on the horizon.
    01-24-09 03:24 PM
    If Rim doesn't fix the problem with the seal around the faceplate and/or the dust that gets inside, by the time there's additional apps out you guys won't be able to see the screen. LOL
    01-24-09 03:31 PM
    But how many of his apps were useful?
    01-24-09 03:32 PM
    i too see a great future for the storm , i mean we have already gone up almost 30 new builds since release thats amazing not to mention the app store will be out 4 months after the phone . not a year. the phone can only get better and better.
    01-24-09 03:32 PM
    i too see a great future for the storm , i mean we have already gone up almost 30 new builds since release thats amazing not to mention the app store will be out 4 months after the phone . not a year. the phone can only get better and better.
    Are you kidding me? 30 builds and looks at the crap that you're still stuck with. Maybe after 90 builds there will be a srtable and fluid OS.

Unless the HARDWARE issues are addressed (light leakage, absurd gaps, screen wiggle, dust issues, ect...) this phone will remain just a toy.

The bold puts this phone to shame.

01-24-09 03:40 PM
    If Rim doesn't fix the problem with the seal around the faceplate and/or the dust that gets inside, by the time there's additional apps out you guys won't be able to see the screen. LOL
    lmao.. "App store is out" 'What!? What do you mean? I can't see anything'
    "Oh, well.. just trust us that it's there"
    01-24-09 03:42 PM
    Are you kidding me? 30 builds and looks at the crap that you're still stuck with. Maybe after 90 builds there will be a srtable and fluid OS. (huh? whats srtable? is this a new Dodge Line up?)

Unless the HARDWARE issues are addressed (light leakage, absurd gaps, screen wiggle, dust issues, ect...) this phone will remain just a toy.

B T W, I love curve trolls. Glad to see we're that important to you. Luckily for you, if somebody is actually unhappy with the device they can get rid of it. And how did your storm work? Oh. You didn't have one you say?
    I don't go trolling in the curve forums, and BTW i had a curve for 9 months. I wouldn't go back :-)
    01-24-09 03:45 PM
    The App store?..........lol...........How can I get excited about the App store when I can barely get my phone to work in the first place!
    01-24-09 03:47 PM

The 30 builds are debatable to begin with. .65 was not the OS it was supposed to ship with....in reality they haven't gone up that much....and during the course of that time look at the OS. .75 is clearly a fall back crutch...and .90 is probably a couple builds away from being half way acceptable as a RELEASE OS. Don't drink the Kool-Aide and say that there has been some real progress. It is only now getting up to par with what is mildly right....and even this has some serious problems.

Should have built the OS from the ground up instead of running compatibility mode over OS 4.6 and removing the trackball....instead we have this....dont tell me I can get rid of it...I am passed my 30-days at this point...filled with false hope.
    01-24-09 04:03 PM
    The Storm Is like a baby. One must allow for growth and see where
    It takes off and shows its stuff.

01-24-09 04:05 PM
    It should get better and the app store should be a really nice edition
    01-24-09 04:20 PM
    At some point they will either get it right or scrap it and move on to the next big thing.
    01-24-09 04:24 PM
    Yep... Bold definitely puts the Storm to shame. Shame on the Storm for being the
    first touch screen Blackberry. How dare RIM move forward. But the Bold... Owners
    must be proud... especially in the US. They were the last people on the planet to
    get the Bold... guess those third world countries were beta testers. The Bold also
    holds the title of first... First Blackberry I know of to be punted from a carriers retail
    line while still being somewhat new... now why would Orange do that.

Shame on the Storm.

01-24-09 04:26 PM
    B T W, I love curve trolls.
    Hey.. I'm ok with intense like... love is so strong a word.
    01-24-09 04:33 PM
    I've been using my Curve since May 08...then used my upgrade for the 9530/Storm on Jan. 6th...had it for 15 days and went back to the VZW store to return it. I'm soooo glad to be back with my trusted Curve. The 9530 is just not as durable as the Curve. I think the Storm is a great device, but it just didn't fit my lifestyle.
    01-24-09 05:22 PM
    I still like my Storm and think it has lots of potential.....BUT, I think RIM needs to make up BIGTIME for a very dumb Marketing decision. One that I feel not only hurt Blackberrys rep in the industry but with there loyal customer base as well. I dont know one person (myself included) that bought a Storm who didnt end up frustrated and disgusted with the device after 24 hours of use. Cmon... I mean RIM has been in this game for some time and on top of the game at that. They should never have allowed a phone to be released with such a buggy OS- PERIOD!! End of Story! Why should I have to sit by waiting for some new OS to drop just so I could be happy with a phone thats not as buggy...? Not as slow? Not as lame. And from what I read it seems Im lucky enough to have a phone thats no so bad. I dont have half the issues other people have been complaining about. They need to drop an OS that makes the phone run like it was designed to. Flawless. It CAN be a great device. That is why I still have mine. But its a big disappointment thus far. And if anyone disagrees go to the storm forum and read all the PROBLEM posts.......
    01-24-09 08:04 PM
    B T W, I love curve trolls. Glad to see we're that important to you. Luckily for you, if somebody is actually unhappy with the device they can get rid of it. And how did your storm work? Oh. You didn't have one you say?
    I don't go trolling in the curve forums, and BTW i had a curve for 9 months. I wouldn't go back :-)
    Well put. If they hate the Storm so much, they sure spend an awful amount of time on OUR forum and not theirs.
    01-24-09 08:29 PM
    The future of the Storm is very debatble. I haven't seen .90 in person yet but .87 was way better than 76/78. So they are getting somewhere. I don't think the Storm will get a ton of time wasting apps like the iphone, at least I hope not. Once RIM gets a good solid OS build out soon the Storm will own all.

01-24-09 08:48 PM
    The future of the Storm is very debatble. I haven't seen .90 in person yet but .87 was way better than 76/78. So they are getting somewhere. I don't think the Storm will get a ton of time wasting apps like the iphone, at least I hope not. Once RIM gets a good solid OS build out soon the Storm will own all.

UGGH....in 2 months they officially have released one OS upgrade...not so good.
    .90 is better from a scrolling standpoint...but no polish at all. I am not sure that good solid OS will bring the bright positive outlook you have....no indication of RIM providing us that anytime soon....and when they do...half of the devices won't run it right.
    01-24-09 09:17 PM
    The future of my storm is still in doubt -- I have until 1/28 to take it back which would make more sense for my family's well-being (economically and psychologically). This thing is nowhere near the device it was hyped to be. It's anyone's guess as to what it will become, but the baby analogy turns me off -- I have two already, thankyou and they don't need the competition... If I do take it back I'll keep an eye on the market to see what RIM does next (beyond silly OS leaks). If I get stuck with a 35 dollar resotocking fee so be it, but I'll be released from the cost of the $30/mo data plan -- if it takes RIM a month to get something of interest out the door, it's a wash and I'll at least be saved the hassle of trying to get blood from a brick.
    01-24-09 10:43 PM
    Hi everyone. I am waiting on purpose to secure a Storm if I do at all. The release of a new product is never perfect right from the start. The Storm will be perfected in time. Believe me RIM is not going to let the competition pass them by, the cost would be too great. They will fix the flaws, upgrade the os and have a plethora of apps for it I am confident. I currently use a curve 8320 and simply love the device. However, I am fascinated with the idea of a touchscreen Blackberry device. I have messed with one a couple of times and reaffirmed my decision to wait. Bottom line, just give a little time.
    01-24-09 10:57 PM
    Are you kidding me? 30 builds and looks at the crap that you're still stuck with. Maybe after 90 builds there will be a srtable and fluid OS.

Oh no!!! My absurd gaps are keeping me from being productive!

I have heard exactly 0 dust issues.

Light leakage?

Screen wiggle? Oh, you mean on the MOVING SCREEN?

Toy huh? Well, today I sent/recieved over 50 Emails, with attachments, all of which job related, and figured the circulating friction pressure of an active natural gas well drilling project on a well kick kill sheet with Sheet2Go. Yeah, how toy-ish.

In other news, isn't your 3 year old phone like 30 bucks with a 2 year contract? Seriously, don't dog a Storm when you're rockin a free phone.

P.S. the Bold wouldn't put the Storm to shame, even if it had a good network to call home. AT&T is trash.
    01-24-09 11:25 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD