Just curious... do you know what the S3 will have that the S2 doesn't (assuming the S2 gets BB OS6)?
    Must Haves:
    - Higher resolution screen
    - Larger memory - 512MB to 1GB
    - Thinner device
    - Larger capacity battery
    - Higher resolution camera (at least 5 megapixel)
    - Improved Wifi (b/g/n)
    - Better designed hardware bezel

Maybes:
    - Front facing camera
    - Faster processors
    - Newer capacitive screen (?super AMOLED)

Feel free to chime in.
    06-10-10 06:29 PM
    Must Haves:
    - Thinner device
    - Improved Wifi (b/g/n)

Maybes:
    - Front facing camera
    - Faster processors

Feel free to chime in.

On top of that I heard they refined Surepress. This is my guess:

Surepress is great for typing out messages and inputing data. Its horrible for navigation. I hope that the new SurePress will turn off the click during navigation and will turn on the click when the user needs to input some data. Thats the way surepress should have been done in the first place

*Disclaimer: This is just my guess

EDIT: And I hope they add a better spell-check. The Storm2 spell-check is horrible -_-
    06-10-10 08:47 PM
    I'm so ready for an S3 in about a year.
    AMEN to that!
    06-10-10 08:54 PM
    S3

better click
    better screen res
    better OS
    faster
    more mem

it will be a much better device from what little is known
    what's your source for all that "info"?
    06-10-10 09:47 PM

Surepress is great for typing out messages and inputing data. Its horrible for navigation. I hope that the new SurePress will turn off the click during navigation and will turn on the click when the user needs to input some data. Thats the way surepress should have been done in the first place

EDIT: And I hope they add a better spell-check. The Storm2 spell-check is horrible -_-
    I think if they would incorporate the option to switch bw surepress and a regular touchscreen it would be a success along with all the features above. Then it could be marketed to those who love surepress (the majority of us) and those who can't get along with it. The bigger your target market is the more units ya move.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 10:42 PM
    The next storm better be good or else I might have to say goodbye to my 120 bbm friends for good.
    06-11-10 12:03 AM

An easy solution would be to add a trackpad to the Storm3. Nothing beats the trackpad for anything requiring precision, like copy and pasting (which is horrid with the Storm2).
    06-11-10 12:20 AM
    An easy solution would be to add a trackpad to the Storm3. Nothing beats the trackpad for anything requiring precision, like copy and pasting (which is horrid with the Storm2).
    How about a mouse? Mice have great precision. Perhaps what we need is a BT mouse for our phones.
    06-11-10 12:35 AM
    how about a mouse? Mice have great precision. Perhaps what we need is a bt mouse for our phones.
    rofl..........
    06-11-10 05:00 AM
    Must Haves:
    - Thinner device
    - Improved Wifi (b/g/n)

Maybes:
    - Front facing camera
    - Faster processors
    Here's what most frustrating about RIM... I'd be willing to bet, that when the S3 is released, it will either be equal to or lesser than what's already available in the iPhone 4, the Incredible and the EVO, but not greater than. It seems iPhone use to play leapfrog by itself. Now it's playing leapfrog with Android (Motorola just announced a 2GHz processor before year end), while BB is playing catchup. As a BB user its frustrating.
    06-11-10 07:12 AM
    The next storm better be good or else I might have to say goodbye to my 120 bbm friends for good.
    120? Better start saying your goodbyes now!
    06-11-10 07:15 AM
    Here's what most frustrating about RIM... I'd be willing to bet, that when the S3 is released, it will either be equal to or lesser than what's already available in the iPhone 4, the Incredible and the EVO, but not greater than. It seems iPhone use to play leapfrog by itself. Now it's playing leapfrog with Android (Motorola just announced a 2GHz processor before year end), while BB is playing catchup. As a BB user its frustrating.
    Here is a side-by-side comparison of Storm 2 and iPhone 3GS (Both were produced in 2009 - that is the fair comparison)
    PDAcomparer | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Here are some highlights:
    Screen Resolution: Storm 2 (360 x 480) iPhone 3GS (320 x 480)
    Camera: 3.2 MP with Flash 3.2 MP no flash
    Network: Dual network GSM only

I have said this before and I will mention it here again. The biggest edge Apple iPhone has over any of its competitors is iTunes and the App Store (which is completely controlled by Apple). Just look at it this way, if RIM has iTunes and all the bazillion Apps in the App Store, will anyone EVER say RIM is playing catch up even with a ****ty browser? Apple perfected the marketing gimmick and convinced everyone they have the best device. Factually, it is not the whole truth. Their whole secret weapon is the iTunes and App Store. Recently Steve Jobs bragged that he has 150 million credit card accounts locked in in the App Store (no other organisation in the world comes close). But does that make iPhone the best device, hardly.

Having said that, once RIM improves its browser, there will be no reason to say that its device is playing catch up.
    Last edited by brown_storm; 06-11-10 at 08:26 AM.
    06-11-10 08:22 AM
    Here is a side-by-side comparison of Storm 2 and iPhone 3GS (Both were produced in 2009 - that is the fair comparison)
    You're kind of proving my point. While you correctly note that both devices were released in 2009, the iPhone was released in June and the Storm 2 was released 4 months later. RIM did nothing with this 4 month advantage. More to the point, the 3GS was just a quickie update to 3G, which was released 16 months before the Storm 2. If the Storm 2 compares favorably to the iPhone 3G, which can be debated, it's by a very slim margin. So even with 16 month advantage, BB was unable to leapfrog Apple is a significant way.

And the reality is, we're half way through 2010, and we still don't have a browser as functional as the browser on the original iPhone (in June of 2007). There's just no reason to believe RIM, technologically, will ever surpass the competition in terms of usability and desirability. Which brings us back to the original point everyone always makes...BlackBerry is a business phone that does mail and calendar better than anyone. However, I'm not sure how true that really is any longer. And if it is true today, I don't suspect it will be true much longer. In the end, anyone who's watched the evolution of these respective product lines, would be crazy to believe that BB is going to be more successful taking away Apple's consumer customers, than Apple will be taking away BB's business customers.

BlackBerry = Novell
    Last edited by Zod1010; 06-11-10 at 09:02 AM.
    06-11-10 08:59 AM
    You're kind of proving my point. While you correctly note that both devices were released in 2009, the iPhone was released in June and the Storm 2 was released 4 months later. RIM did nothing with this 4 month advantage. More to the point, the 3GS was just a quickie update to 3G, which was released 16 months before the Storm 2. If the Storm 2 compares favorably to the iPhone 3G, which can be debated, it's by a very slim margin. So even with 16 month advantage, BB was unable to leapfrog Apple is a significant way.

And the reality is, we're half way through 2010, and we still don't have a browser as functional as the browser on the original iPhone (in June of 2007). There's just no reason to believe RIM, technologically, will ever surpass the competition in terms of usability and desirability. Which brings us back to the original point everyone always makes...BlackBerry is a business phone that does mail and calendar better than anyone. However, I'm not sure how true that really is any longer. And if it is true today, I don't suspect it will be true much longer. In the end, anyone who's watched the evolution of these respective product lines, would be crazy to believe that BB is going to be more successful taking away Apple's consumer customers, than Apple will be taking away BB's business customers.

BlackBerry = Novell
    Apple=IBM
    Android=Microsoft
    06-11-10 09:30 AM
    Here's an interesting statistic I read the other day...
    Blackberry holds 27% of the market (all phones)
    Android phones hold 24% of the market
    And the iphone alone holds 21% of the market.
    So that leads me to believe that comparing phone to phone, the iphone will always be the winner statistically. IF Verizon ever gets the iphone, BlackBerrys will be in serious trouble for real.
    The few people I do know with an iphone only have one BC they couldn't afford the deposit that Verizon wanted.

06-11-10 09:43 AM
    The few people I do know with an iphone only have one BC they couldn't afford the deposit that Verizon wanted.

deposit? what deposit?
    06-11-10 10:00 AM

I like the clicking to select. It reduces accidental selections, or tapping at the screen and it not registering. We've been clicking to select for decades, feels natural to me.

I'm curious what they could do to make it better though. I can type pretty damn quickly on it, so I really am hard pressed to see where they could improve on it. Maybe better/adjustable pressure sensitivity... umm... can't think of anything else.
    06-11-10 10:08 AM
    deposit? what deposit?
    You didn't get the memo? I had to give them either $450 or my first born. I just gave them some random kid I found in the mall.
    06-11-10 10:09 AM
    os6 not being supported on the S2, the slowness compared to other smart phones, and the fact that Verzion keeps pushing apps to my phone has made my decision to get rid of my Storm 2 for the iPhone4 extremely easy. Also i feel that vzw not supporting the storm 2 for PPT is a slap in the face also!
    06-11-10 10:09 AM
    I'm with everyone who is saying that it's the hardware that severely needs to be updated. I love my 9550 and I've been with RIM and a RIM supporter for years, but when I look at other manufacturers releasing phones with hardware far superior to RIM, it makes me seriously tempted to switch to those other companies.

The majority of the problems with the storm and other RIM devices are because of the archaic hardware under the hood. Apple and HTC are boasting 1GHz and above processors (in both existing devices and upcoming devices), RIM is releasing nothing close to that and just taking baby steps with their hardware upgrades is very frustrating! And there is no reason for it! The technology exists!

I'm a Telus (CDMA carrier) customer in Canada and when the iPhone was first released, I happened to be in NY, me and a friend went into the Apple store to check out the phone and thought it was awesome. When I came back home, the only way I could get an iPhone was through Rogers (GSM carrier) which is a garbage carrier. This led me to BlackBerry and I picked up a Pearl, which got me hooked on BB, I then upgraded to the Storm when it came out and even though it had a rough start, I stuck with BB and defended it to the other iPhone fanbois. Telus since then has upgraded their service to allow for CDMA and HDPA+ phones (which includes the iPhone...) I still stuck with BB and upgraded to a S2 even though the iPhone was now available to me on my carrier. I went to pay my bill the other day and saw that Telus will be getting the iPhone 4. My contract is up in less than a year. Chances are, i'm not going to go with the iPhone 4, but based on the hardware specs of both offered by Apple and HTC phones, I'm more tempted than ever to switch.

My point is that if RIM doesn't step up their hardware to match what Apple and HTC are doing, I probably will jump ship. I'm giving RIM until the first few glimpses of the Storm 3. If they're not at least in a competitive zone with the hardware specs, then sorry RIM, it's been swell! The Storm line of products were supposed to be their "toy" device, toys need to have the best hardware to keep up with their flashy demands, not old tech which chokes the software.

Again, I'm not attacking RIM. I'll always love Blackberries and I know that they will be the corporate phone of choice and have a strong market share because of it. But as an individual subscriber (and pro geek), I want the fastest and best tech, or at least comparable to the best. Knowing that RIM could implement that tech but doesn't is what's killing me.

06-11-10 10:11 AM
    deposit? what deposit?
    I was approved for 4 lines, Verizon wanted a $1500 deposit for one line from a guy I work with.

Let me make it clear here: iPhone is a great phone and definitely has managed its ecosystem better than anyone. I definitely like the competition it has infused in the Smartphone world but I will not buy it for my company in its current form.

There's just no reason to believe RIM, technologically, will ever surpass the competition in terms of usability and desirability. Which brings us back to the original point everyone always makes...BlackBerry is a business phone that does mail and calendar better than anyone. However, I'm not sure how true that really is any longer. And if it is true today, I don't suspect it will be true much longer.

BlackBerry = Novell
    What made you not to be sure if BB are better for usability and desirability as a business anymore? Because of the hype and all the buzz around iPhone. Those who have tried using iPhone (myself included) will readily tell you that BB still beats iPhone. Yes the browser is ****ty without a doubt.

In the end, anyone who's watched the evolution of these respective product lines, would be crazy to believe that BB is going to be more successful taking away Apple's consumer customers, than Apple will be taking away BB's business customers.

BlackBerry = Novell
    Again, I have highlighted why it will take ages for ANYONE to peel off iPhone users. iTunes have its well crafted hands deep into their pockets and have them hostage. It is a HUGE advantage. It is not because iPhone is the best phone.
    I was approved for 4 lines, Verizon wanted a $1500 deposit for one line from a guy I work with.

You're either lying, added a zero, or he's lying, or has AWFUL credit. The highest deposit I've ever seen was $150.
    06-11-10 10:13 AM
    os6 not being supported on the S2
    Then why have developers spotted 9550's running OS6.0 on their download logs?
    06-11-10 10:14 AM
    Nope. The first time I tried to get Verizon about 7 years ago they wanted $900 from me so I went with NTelos.2 years later I tried again with better credit. And yes, he says his credit is shot.

06-11-10 10:20 AM
139 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD