Tapping on glass, absent a mechanical movement, is the more recent technical advancement (regardless of whether Apple invented it or not). And it's exactly why no one is mimicking RIM's design.

tapping on glass without feedback AND NO USER-ADJUSTABLE DELAY SETTINGS, makes for lousy typing, as far as I'm concerned. I have a touch and I DESPISE typing on it because it's far too touchy. If only Apple had included a setting to prevent inadvertent keypresses, I'd probably like it a WHOLE LOT MORE.
    Last edited by dave1812; 06-09-10 at 03:14 PM.
    06-09-10 03:09 PM
    Ultimately, this thread comes down to two crucial points:

1. Can RIM keep up with Apple?
    2. Does RIM need to keep up with Apple?

I totally agree with this being the real points of concern. I also pretty much agree with your answers to those as well.
    06-09-10 03:18 PM
    I just want a modern day mobile browser. My browser is not very good on the Storm 2. I also like the quailty of the iphone...it's like a Breitling watch. AT&T is a turn-off as others have said and that will ultimately weigh in my decision. The email issue is becoming less of an issue and our company is now allowing iphones to be used as corporate devices. They're popping up everywhere now in our office. And I work for a very big company. RIM will still have a strong position in the smartphone market because they have the best keyboards, but in the touchscreen space RIM could lose ground. Especially with iphones becoming more acceptable in the corporate world.....

"British bank Standard Chartered is replacing the Blackberry, currently its standard corporate communications device, with the iPhone, a move that could eventually result in thousands of bankers switching to the Apple device for business communication on the go. "

Mentor Picks: iPhone Replaces Blackberry for some Bankers - India Chief Mentor - WSJ
    Now where did I put that link to the iPhone security problems...oh never mind. They're all over
    06-09-10 03:55 PM
    I'm not going iphone but i did purchase the droid incredible. I'm legit sad tho i'm still looking at my storm 2 wondering if i should cancel the droid but knowing the storm can no longer give me what i have been wanting. now i'm not knocking rim/bb i love the company and if the ever decide to get everything worked out as far as stable os systems and some really good features (features aren't really important i just want a fast web browser lol) i'd jump back in a heartbeat but as of now i must go...
    06-09-10 03:56 PM
    You know this gentleman makes for a pretty strong argument IMHO because I've been using Blackberries since Omnipoint. An the device was the about the size of the average cable remote now a days. an weighed about the same. But most important is the build quality of today's Crackberry which is often overlooked by most consumers here in the USA mainly. I started with the 6200 series an bounced back an forth threw various models an various tech advancements VIA various service providers. Currently on VZW I've noted superior build quality on most of there "high end" handsets of the Crackberry persuasion. In short having 8yrs of wireless Exp; I leave you this to consider. You get exactly what you pay for now a days. Also never invest in the first year model of anything sold in the USA.

My first job in big law, I got me one of them 6200 series. The Storm1, and Tour 1 did not live up to the reputation. Heck the 8300g was better built and never lagged up froze or spontaneously rebooted on me. S2 is better. But nothing RIM has now, or has in the pipeline compares remotely to the hardware on the EVO, Incredible or IP4. That's just the truth. In fact, hardware wise, very little of what RIM has now or in the pipeline compares to the original IP (just hardware wise). Just look at memory specs, video hardware acceleration and compass. Yep new BB devices have better cameras, (video was an OS issue not hardware) but the 500 megs of available application memory (TODAY) vs. 8 gigs (3 years ago) says a whole lot.
    06-09-10 04:22 PM
    Can't really speak for the industry, but the future is pretty darn bright for my Storm2. It'll be right on my hip when not in the palm if my hands!
    06-09-10 04:22 PM
    I can appreciate the pros and cons of all the devices mentioned here. I do think Apple has done a brilliant job of marketing, product design, and providing appealing reasons for people to love both the old and new iPhones. Heck they got people to buy phones with no MMS, no 3G, no copy and paste, etc and call them the best. That is brilliant marketing, but it is also appealing to killer features people crave like awesome web browsing and true multi-touch. RIM has done quite the opposite in the area of initial design and marketing. We all know why users of current BB's like them, but more and more people are unhappy with build quality and marketing versus reality. I really thought they would have multi-touch present in my touch screen phone after two years, but it has not happened.

The Storm name is tainted outside of people who never owned another touch screen phone or those like me who love their Storm2. Most people when they see I have a Storm laugh about how horrible they heard it was. I try to defend it as a good phone, but RIM is seen as playing major catchup in the quality and ability of their touch screen devices, which is what this thread is about. I think RIM should probably not call the next phone the Storm3. The Storm name is not a good one in the general market thanks to the major mess up that was the Storm1. I had one and can tell you it was a horrible device made worse by horrible initial OS releases. Apple rarely missteps in marketing. RIM could not even get the Tour right for goodness sake. Those devices were complete c rap and my company continues to replace them due to issues.

RIM has a shot to hit a home run with OS6 and new touch screen devices. I believe they risk going the way of Palm if they don't get it right in the next few design and marketing cycles. BES won't hold the market as other cloud services really mature and other OS's like Android mature with them. Let me end this rant by saying I love my Storm2 and support BB's strongly. However, I can see myself moving to an iPhone or Android depending on what RIM does in 2010.
    06-09-10 04:55 PM
    I seriously hope you meant Windows 7 Mobile, not the desktop version.
    Of course, this is a thread about mobile phone offerings after all.
    06-09-10 04:55 PM
    Of course, this is a thread about mobile phone offerings after all.
    You aren't thinking of asking him to change his name to "glitchOne", are you? LOL!
    06-09-10 04:58 PM
    I bet you will not see one Storm2 versus iPhone 4 review, ever. I rarely if ever see the Storm2 being compared to any other phone, including Android. The media and tech sites have written the Storm2 off. I read the reviews and say to myself, "My Storm2 does that well", but no one ever mentions it. RIM has lost the media battle on touch screens until OS6 and the 9800 and Storm3.
    06-10-10 06:21 AM
    I bet you will not see one Storm2 versus iPhone 4 review, ever. I rarely if ever see the Storm2 being compared to any other phone, including Android. The media and tech sites have written the Storm2 off. I read the reviews and say to myself, "My Storm2 does that well", but no one ever mentions it. RIM has lost the media battle on touch screens until OS6 and the 9800 and Storm3.
    The Storm2 NEVER was given a chance by, of all companies, VERIZON! They barely advertised it, never pushed it, and never shown any support for it. They were too busy getting ready for the DROID! The money they spent on the Droid was "Incredible" even before the Incredible came out. There was an article a few days ago about the new iPhone and Verizon's alternatives; of course, the Storm2 wasn't even mentioned. Verizon acted like they really didn't want the phone, but had a contract with RIM and were forced to market it. RIM should be pissed at Verizon for the way they handled this "incredible" phone.
    06-10-10 06:44 AM
    I have an iphone and a Storm 2 as well as an HTC Hero. I used an iphone for 2 years before getting a Blackbery. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I found that push notifications on the iPhone just did not work. In fact, despite resetting the phone, Upgrading to new firmware when available etc, no push notifications come through at all. Also, the call quality on my 3Gs is poor and often calls get put straight through to answerphone even when I have a signal. I love the apps and fnctionality of the iphone, but as a messaging device and a phone, it just doesn't cut the mustard. The Storm 2 gives excellent call quality, instant notifications of email, twitter and facebook messages, the battery lasts for ages and it is my pimary device. I keep the iPhone 3Gs just as an ipod that can access the web if I need it to. As for the Hero, it was miles worse than the bad points of the iPhone and Storm 2 put together. Laggy, unresponsive, awful reception etc. An absolute mare of a phone.
    06-10-10 06:59 AM
    I have an iphone and a Storm 2 as well as an HTC Hero. I used an iphone for 2 years before getting a Blackbery. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I found that push notifications on the iPhone just did not work. In fact, despite resetting the phone, Upgrading to new firmware when available etc, no push notifications come through at all. Also, the call quality on my 3Gs is poor and often calls get put straight through to answerphone even when I have a signal. I love the apps and fnctionality of the iphone, but as a messaging device and a phone, it just doesn't cut the mustard. The Storm 2 gives excellent call quality, instant notifications of email, twitter and facebook messages, the battery lasts for ages and it is my pimary device. I keep the iPhone 3Gs just as an ipod that can access the web if I need it to. As for the Hero, it was miles worse than the bad points of the iPhone and Storm 2 put together. Laggy, unresponsive, awful reception etc. An absolute mare of a phone.
    Well put! Storm 2 definitely blows any smartphone out of the water as a business phone. None comes even close in terms of phone call, emails, messaging and there are enough apps to keep you happy, though pricey.
    I am curious to know which Android OS you are using on your Hero. I personally think that Android does push notification better than iPhone if you running Android 2.1 and above. ( I have Samsung Moment that is 'rooted' with a modded ROM). You can check online forums and get the best ROM for your Hero.
    06-10-10 07:58 AM
    tapping on glass without feedback AND NO USER-ADJUSTABLE DELAY SETTINGS, makes for lousy typing, as far as I'm concerned. I have a touch and I DESPISE typing on it because it's far too touchy. If only Apple had included a setting to prevent inadvertent keypresses, I'd probably like it a WHOLE LOT MORE.
    It's definitely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I kind of like SurePress. I merely saw it as ironic that anyone was putting it forth as new.

By the way, one of the typing features I like about BB, that no other device (that I'm aware of) offers, is SureType. I find it very easy to use. I will definitely miss its convenience if I switch devices.
    06-10-10 08:15 AM
    It's definitely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I kind of like SurePress. I merely saw it as ironic that anyone was putting it forth as new.

By the way, one of the typing features I like about BB, that no other device (that I'm aware of) offers, is SureType. I find it very easy to use. I will definitely miss its convenience if I switch devices.
    Name ONE THING that isn't "personal preference".
    06-10-10 10:43 AM
    I can appreciate the pros and cons of all the devices mentioned here. I do think Apple has done a brilliant job of marketing, product design, and providing appealing reasons for people to love both the old and new iPhones. Heck they got people to buy phones with no MMS, no 3G, no copy and paste, etc and call them the best. That is brilliant marketing, but it is also appealing to killer features people crave like awesome web browsing and true multi-touch. RIM has done quite the opposite in the area of initial design and marketing. We all know why users of current BB's like them, but more and more people are unhappy with build quality and marketing versus reality. I really thought they would have multi-touch present in my touch screen phone after two years, but it has not happened.

The Storm name is tainted outside of people who never owned another touch screen phone or those like me who love their Storm2. Most people when they see I have a Storm laugh about how horrible they heard it was. I try to defend it as a good phone, but RIM is seen as playing major catchup in the quality and ability of their touch screen devices, which is what this thread is about. I think RIM should probably not call the next phone the Storm3. The Storm name is not a good one in the general market thanks to the major mess up that was the Storm1. I had one and can tell you it was a horrible device made worse by horrible initial OS releases. Apple rarely missteps in marketing. RIM could not even get the Tour right for goodness sake. Those devices were complete c rap and my company continues to replace them due to issues.

RIM has a shot to hit a home run with OS6 and new touch screen devices. I believe they risk going the way of Palm if they don't get it right in the next few design and marketing cycles. BES won't hold the market as other cloud services really mature and other OS's like Android mature with them. Let me end this rant by saying I love my Storm2 and support BB's strongly. However, I can see myself moving to an iPhone or Android depending on what RIM does in 2010.
    FINALLY someone that speaks the truth!! im just so fed up waiting for this promise of an OS 6.. storm 2 has been OK for me. not the touch screen experience that i expected. the surepress is GREAT! but i've had problems with it TWICE .. and have switched my phone TWICE as well. i was convinced to stick with it for the OS 6.. but have a look at the OS 6 on the slider.. i Mean it's still SO laggy. n i dont wanna wait another 3 months only to be disappointed. i rather just sell my storm 2 now and buy an iphone 4 in 2 weeks time.

i could just b shooting myself in the foot here if i dont go thru with this (and there's a chance i wont becos of how addictive bbm is!) but that's the plan for me right now!
    06-10-10 11:20 AM
    FINALLY someone that speaks the truth!! im just so fed up waiting for this promise of an OS 6.. storm 2 has been OK for me. not the touch screen experience that i expected. the surepress is GREAT! but i've had problems with it TWICE .. and have switched my phone TWICE as well. i was convinced to stick with it for the OS 6.. but have a look at the OS 6 on the slider.. i Mean it's still SO laggy. n i dont wanna wait another 3 months only to be disappointed. i rather just sell my storm 2 now and buy an iphone 4 in 2 weeks time.

i could just b shooting myself in the foot here if i dont go thru with this (and there's a chance i wont becos of how addictive bbm is!) but that's the plan for me right now!
    I am kind of in your camp. It took me three phones to get one that didn't have the sticky call button issue. Once that was corrected, the phone has worked great ever since. The browser has always been awful, but that is more RIM not being able to keep up with the rest of the community in that area. So as a "Smart Phone" the Storm comes up short, but as a phone/email device it is very good. I am ready to to try the iphone, but for AT&T. My sister has an iphone and the call quality is awful. Part of that problem is the iphone, which is known not to be a good phone and part of it is AT&T. I am going to wait for some hands on reviews of the iphone 4 to see how it performs before I make the jump. In the meantime, I don't have high hopes for the webkit browser. I am sure it will be wayyy behind the apple and google based browsers.
    06-10-10 11:31 AM
    So as a "Smart Phone" the Storm comes up short, but as a phone/email device it is very good.
    This doesn't make sense. So, because the browser sucks, it comes up short as a smart phone? Ironically, the iPhone had been lacking in features that typically made smartphones, smartphones for some time now.

I can manage my finances, check the weather, check email, keep in touch with people, monitor facebook, get tweets, manage my calendar, manage contacts, play the occasional game, browse the web, listen to music, find restaurants, get driving directions, and even watch movies on my Storm 2. How is it coming up short?
    06-10-10 11:39 AM
    This doesn't make sense. So, because the browser sucks, it comes up short as a smart phone? Ironically, the iPhone had been lacking in features that typically made smartphones, smartphones for some time now.

I can manage my finances, check the weather, check email, keep in touch with people, monitor facebook, get tweets, manage my calendar, manage contacts, play the occasional game, browse the web, listen to music, find restaurants, get driving directions, and even watch movies on my Storm 2. How is it coming up short?
    cause the browser sucks. Gee, do i have to spoon-feed you everything! I have an ipod touch and a storm 1 My ipod gets the games and my storm does the work. Period.
    06-10-10 11:44 AM
    I'm so ready for an iPhone but I'm anti AT&T! I would switch if I knew for sure Verizon wasn't getting the iPhone anytime soon. I still have hope!
    06-10-10 01:54 PM
    I'm so ready for an iPhone but I'm anti AT&T! I would switch if I knew for sure Verizon wasn't getting the iPhone anytime soon. I still have hope!
    I'm so ready for an S3 in about a year.
    06-10-10 01:56 PM
    If I jump the Verizon ship it will be for the BB 9800, NOT the iphone!
    Yay, The slider (9800) or the storm 3 (which will be 9570 in my guess). That's the way to go.
    06-10-10 02:11 PM
    +1 .... feel your pain.
    06-10-10 04:01 PM
    I'm so ready for an S3 in about a year.
    Just curious... do you know what the S3 will have that the S2 doesn't (assuming the S2 gets BB OS6)?
    06-10-10 05:31 PM
    S3

better click
    better screen res
    better OS
    faster
    more mem

it will be a much better device from what little is known
    06-10-10 05:39 PM
139 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD