Hi guys, I have just been given a Storm 2, other than unlocking it so I can use it on other networks, what tips and tricks could you recommend I try out.

I would like to get a perfectly optimised OS and back up before I start using the handset for day to day business.
    07-15-10 12:39 PM
    Use whatever the latest OS out for your device.
    07-15-10 01:08 PM
    I see you are with Vodafone. Is the Storm from Vodafone as well?

If so, install the .713 firmware from this thread... http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/ne...-spain-493704/
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-15-10 at 01:29 PM.
    07-15-10 01:25 PM
    I'm with Vodafone, but the handset has come from Tmobile. I seem to remember reading stuff about stripping things out of the OS to free up space / memory and improve performance, when I got my first storm.
    07-15-10 01:32 PM
    Ah well the above firmware won't install. Most hybrids come with 'ShrinkOS' as part of the installation... that is what you are thinking about when you talk about stripping out un-needed parts of the OS.
    07-15-10 01:40 PM
    Maybe, I've had a look around and not sure what you mean by Hybrid and google doesn't show much about SrinkOS. Is there any way of de-branding the phone (removing the Tmobile stuff from it) ?
    07-15-10 02:03 PM
    A hybrid -- assembled out of files from various operating systems -- is not necessarily better than an unmodified OS. I'm running Verizon .713 and see no reason to change, although I've used leaks and hybrids in the past.

Here's my checklist for an OS upgrade/downgrade/reinstallation.

HELP GUIDE: Upgrade/Downgrade, Backing up, BRICKED STORM!! Your COMPLETE GUIDE

This is the quickie version:

1) Backup phone with Desktop Manager.
    2) Backup apps with BBSAK.
    3) Download the appropriate OS for your phone.
    4) Remove unwanted garbage with Shrink-A-OS.
    5) Wipe phone with BBSAK.
    6) Reinstall OS & Apps with BBSAK, then restore data with Desktop Manager.

Before you start this project, make sure you download everything you need.

a) BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    b) Operating System
    c) BBSAK Click Here
    d) Shrink-A-OS Clicky.
    07-15-10 02:04 PM
    Thanks, that should keep me busy for a while

I found this guide too http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/how-shrink-os-348769/

I don't have any data or apps on it yet so that should make it a bit easier. What happens when BB put out a OS update, will updating undo this ?
    Last edited by saur0; 07-15-10 at 02:13 PM.
    07-15-10 02:08 PM
    Expect battery life to suck the first week or so... It gets better after a while.
    07-15-10 02:11 PM
    Can anyone point me in the right direction to download the OS ? I read this in another thread...

Locate on Crackberry.com a download link for the "executable" file for your desired OS. Download and run this file to install the OS on your PC.
    But can't find where to download it from on crackberry.com ?
    07-15-10 02:37 PM
    Not on CB, but this is my one-stop place for all things BlackBerry OS.

Clicky....
    07-15-10 02:44 PM
    Would it be ok to use a Vodafone OS on the Tmobile handset ? I plan to unlock it an use a Vodafone SIM.
    07-15-10 03:11 PM
    You can use any vendor OS you like. Just make sure to delete the vendor.xml file from the apploader directory.
    07-15-10 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD