Is there any free tethering on the storm 2? My friend has an android device and he can do it because he rooted his phone. Is there anything like this for my phone?

Thanks Guys!
    02-24-11 10:47 AM
    yes rim desktop manager has tethering built in.
    as for it being free or not, it depends on your carrier and your plan.

I tried a little browsing as a test (so i didn't get hit with a huge bill if i was wrong) on my plan and it appears to be covered under my unlimited plan.
    02-24-11 12:34 PM
    Not completely free but if you purchase the app from Tether (usually goes on sale for 50% off so costs about $25) then you can utilize the app without incurring any carrier fees. I am on Verizon and have used it with my Storm 2 with no problems. You just download it onto your computer (PC or MAC) and can tether through your BB either with USB or bluetooth. Well worth the money if you travel frequently.
    02-24-11 01:09 PM
    Thanks guys! I will look into this
    02-24-11 01:38 PM
    Tether violates verizons tos. If you get caught using it you will likely get booted and a huge bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-11 11:08 PM
    Tether violates verizons tos. If you get caught using it you will likely get booted and a huge bill.

Nobody to date has ever been booted or received a huge bill. There is absolutely no way for Verizon to know if you are using tether, phones browser, slacker, rhapsody, youtube, etc.

BTW @ OP Tether is half price today. Get it in the CB app store

http://software.crackberry.com/productMobile.asp?id=27826

Last edited by hydroz_23; 02-25-11 at 08:54 AM.
    02-25-11 08:51 AM
    Nobody to date has ever been booted or received a huge bill. There is absolutely no way for Verizon to know if you are using tether, phones browser, slacker, rhapsody, youtube, etc.

BTW @ OP Tether is half price today. Get it in the CB app store

http://software.crackberry.com/productMobile.asp?id=27826
    Yea and you heat urban myths popping up of somebody using tether and getting a bill for hundreds or thousands of dollars... All bs.

I am on Verizon, I use tether and they can kiss my a$$ because as far as I am conserned, I paid for the data already. Why does any carrier deserve to be paid twice for the same product?

I am hoping a keen bean makes a tether app so I can use my bb to relay my data to my playbook free, should Verizon try to be obnoxious and demand there too to get paid twice for the same data.

I say use tether and give the finger to VzW.

02-25-11 10:42 AM

I can't seem to find anything in my contract that backs up your claim. That isn't a solid argument against your points, but if you've got proof, I'd love to hear about it.

In the meantime, I'll throw my hat into the ring as one of those who uses Tether (albeit infrequently) on a Verizon wireless plan with no problems.
    02-25-11 11:52 AM
    I can't seem to find anything in my contract that backs up your claim. That isn't a solid argument against your points, but if you've got proof, I'd love to hear about it.

In the meantime, I'll throw my hat into the ring as one of those who uses Tether (albeit infrequently) on a Verizon wireless plan with no problems.
    That is up to you to read the terms of your contract. But here is a faq for mobile broadband connect.

Answers to FAQs
    02-25-11 02:52 PM

KYRO is is right, it is in the TOS and always has been.

Like I said earlier it doesn't matter. It is impossible for them to know if you are tethered or on your using your phones browser. Nobody has ever been dropped, throttled or incurred any extra charges. With all of the VZW and Tether customers you would have heard about it by now if they could tell. There are thousands of people that use that app daily. I used it the whole time I had my S2 and still have it on my bold.
    02-25-11 04:36 PM
    Yeah, stealing is totally ok as long as there is no way you could get caught. *rolls eyes* I hope none of you live in my neighborhood. Have to start locking up my patio furniture again...

02-25-11 04:52 PM
    Yeah, stealing is totally ok as long as there is no way you could get caught. *rolls eyes* I hope none of you live in my neighborhood. Have to start locking up my patio furniture again...

How do you figure?? You pay at least $29.99 for data, what difference does it make if you are using YOUR data on a PC or phone?? You paid for it
    02-25-11 05:00 PM
    Justify it however you like. If you want to keep the wool pulled over your own eyes stop reading this post right now. You have been warned.

The following quote was pulled from the "Terms and Conditions" page of the "Data Plans and Features" portion of Verizon's website. See it yourself here.

"Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device�s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect."

Does that clear it up? If you have a way of justifying the theft then go ahead, but after reading this you have to admit that using any "tether" program without paying the extra monthly fee cannot be defined as anything but stealing. I don't know how to explain it any more clearly.
    02-25-11 05:53 PM
    Kyro, its clear that you have trolling issues when it comes to "tethering" even tho the mods any many members have corrected you on the issue a few times.

Its simple, just skip the thread unless you actually have anything worth contributing. Verizon doesn't care or they would do something about it. Why do you care so damn much who tethers and who doesn't??
    02-25-11 06:06 PM
    i tether as well and i don't get charge by AT&T for it.
    as for kyroguy, i appreciate your concern, and i think every member should get all the sides of the story before before jumping to a conclusion.

Remember guys, Not everyone owns an Iphone.
    02-25-11 06:10 PM
    Pointing out a fact is trolling now?

I am irritated that you and many others claim it isn't stealing when ALL evidence clearly points the other direction. If you want to tether, go ahead. But call it what it is.

Also, how are any of my posts in this thread not directly on topic? The op asked about tether and I (and others) informed him of the relevant policies concerning it.

So as far as "correcting" me on the issue, exactly what am I missing? Please enlighten me. Btw, you may want to visit the link I posted first. After all, neither your opinion or mine matter when anyone can go straight to the source and read it off of their site.

EXACTLY WHERE AM I WRONG?

02-25-11 06:13 PM
    Also, how are any of my posts in this thread not directly on topic? The op asked about tether and I (and others) informed him of the relevant policies concerning it.

So as far as "correcting" me on the issue, exactly what am I missing?
    Did I say in THIS thread? No I don't believe I did. You have posted in a few other threads about this same thing

Please enlighten me. Btw, you may want to visit the link I posted first. After all, neither your opinion or mine matter when anyone can go straight to the source and read it off of their site.
    Did I not agree with you in post #10

KYRO is is right, it is in the TOS and always has been.
    EXACTLY WHERE AM I WRONG?
    Nobody said you were wrong. I never did. I'm just saying quit being so anal about it. Verizon, CB, Tether or anyone else does not care enough to enforce it, so why do you? We get it, it violates TOS. So we should all stop using it now. This is a free service on most carriers so who is actually the one stealing??
    02-25-11 07:15 PM
    The way I understand it, we can't talk about illegal software and such because the servers that host crackberry could potentially shut it down for that. I am having trouble seeing the distinction between this and that.

Additionally, tether is presented to Verizon customers here as a legal legit solution to getting online. it is neither. I think it is dishonest at best to present a noob that doesn't know the difference with this solution. Then the poor sap gets nailed and if he is lucky he only gets his service cut off and nothing more.

That's my beef here. Btw, I appreciate you backing me up in #10.

02-25-11 07:36 PM
    The way I understand it, we can't talk about illegal software and such because the servers that host crackberry could potentially shut it down for that.
    You should let CB deal with that. Not your problem and you shouldn't loose any sleep over it. Its obviously not too illegal or it wouldn't have been posted on the CB front page as the daily deal today. CB does not seemed to be the least bothered by it

Either way I didn't come here to bash you. We all have our opinion, and then you have yours. Let it go
    02-25-11 07:49 PM
    The way I understand it, we can't talk about illegal software and such because the servers that host crackberry could potentially shut it down for that. I am having trouble seeing the distinction between this and that.

Additionally, tether is presented to Verizon customers here as a legal legit solution to getting online. it is neither. I think it is dishonest at best to present a noob that doesn't know the difference with this solution. Then the poor sap gets nailed and if he is lucky he only gets his service cut off and nothing more.

That's my beef here. Btw, I appreciate you backing me up in #10.

I'm with you the TOs is clear. Speed limitvsigns are also not a suggestion. You can go as fast as you want until you get caught.

02-26-11 12:14 AM
    Violating terms and stealing are too different things. Being justified in kicking someone off the network due to TOS is different than calling someone a thief and accusing them of stealing.
    02-26-11 06:18 AM
    Violating terms and stealing are too different things. Being justified in kicking someone off the network due to TOS is different than calling someone a thief and accusing them of stealing.
    Just because your neighbors house is unlocked doesn't give you the right to enter it.
    02-26-11 10:09 AM
    Are you serious? I am not sure what dictionary you are reading...

From the Google Dictionary

"steal Verb /stēl/:
    Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

I have already established the legal situation here. Did you call them an get permission? In that case you have my apology, otherwise you are STEALING!

Two possibilities. You were planning on returning the bandwidth later, in which case you are only borrowing it. Or you have another definition, which I would love to hear. In fact, maybe if your current line of work isn't working out you can redefine every word in the language and publish your own dictionary. I have a feeling it would be popular with more than a handful of the members here...
    02-26-11 05:05 PM
    Are you serious? I am not sure what dictionary you are reading...

From the Google Dictionary

"steal Verb /stēl/:
    Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

I have already established the legal situation here. Did you call them an get permission? In that case you have my apology, otherwise you are STEALING!

Two possibilities. You were planning on returning the bandwidth later, in which case you are only borrowing it. Or you have another definition, which I would love to hear. In fact, maybe if your current line of work isn't working out you can redefine every word in the language and publish your own dictionary. I have a feeling it would be popular with more than a handful of the members here...
    Kyro, I think you need to stop reading this thread. You are taking all of this way to seriously. Its just a thread. You can call it what you want, you just don't need to keep posting it. I think you need to stay away from any "tether, data, broadband" threads. Not bashing, just saying

If you feel its stealing then so be it but clearly you are the minority here. Most of use feel that we pay good money for "unlimited data" and it is OUR data so there is no bandwidth to return.
    02-26-11 05:59 PM
    Hydroz, I was going to put this down (at least for now) when you originally suggested it in post #19. Then someone directly questioned me and I responded.

As far as how you "feel" about what you pay for and what you are getting, that is very nice. In fact, it gives me the warm fuzzies. I would recommend that the next time you get stopped for speeding you tell the cop that you "feel" you don't deserve a ticket. (BTW, not comparing speeding directly to tether, just a for instance) Please update us with how that goes. Until then, I "feel" that you need to get in touch with reality. Unless I missed something here, we aren't debating opinion. I have stated my case (backed up with sources) and informed the OP of pertinent facts. You have told us how you feel. Perhaps unless you have something of realistic substance to add, you are the one that should stop reading...

I'm done here unless someone addresses me. In that case I will continue to site facts and sources to help keep everyone informed.
    02-26-11 06:13 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD