This makes less sense than your op. Why not just compose a solely text based mms? No character limit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Some phones can't do or recieve MMS, let alone e-mail.
    05-18-09 10:38 PM
    Some phones can't do or recieve MMS, let alone e-mail.
    I understand this. However throwing out alternatives never hurts now does it.

05-18-09 10:53 PM
    I understand this. However throwing out alternatives never hurts now does it.

I had a Treo 700w and when I update the OS to WM6.1 you could do multiple page SMS. On the older 650/700's it was not possible. I think the Curve would do multi page SMS as well. All on VZW.

05-18-09 11:03 PM
    Truth be told, sms stands for short messaging service and is meant to be just that - a way to send short messages. At its introduction, texting wasn't meant to be the massive means of communication that it has become. With this in mind, the 160 limit makes sense. What does not make sense is the variance of this character limit among carriers and devices.

05-18-09 11:11 PM
    Mms is not a data service. It is simply a multi media message.

Im not sure under what conditions but some MMS do use data, my daughters phone dosent have a data plan and most of her data functions are disabled, she does have SMS and MMS and each month I see a 1 Mb usage on her data, I called VZW to ask what the data useage is from and was told some MMS will use data, very little but some.
    05-18-09 11:24 PM
    Truth be told, sms stands for short messaging service and is meant to be just that - a way to send short messages. At its introduction, texting wasn't meant to be the massive means of communication that it has become. With this in mind, the 160 limit makes sense. What does not make sense is the variance of this character limit among carriers and devices.

some people don't allow the full 160 characters?

the only way to exceed 160 is with EMS capable devices, but they're still sent as separate messages, they're just re-configured on the reciepient's end...
    05-18-09 11:36 PM
    Im not sure under what conditions but some MMS do use data, my daughters phone dosent have a data plan and most of her data functions are disabled, she does have SMS and MMS and each month I see a 1 Mb usage on her data, I called VZW to ask what the data useage is from and was told some MMS will use data, very little but some.
    Interesting seeing as vzw charges independently for pix/flix messaging which is their way of referring to mms. So I'm not understanding how the random unnamed one meg of data is an mms charge.

05-18-09 11:38 PM
    No way, Jen-ay. I use my phone for reading news, emails, IM's, BBM and SMS/MMS, GPS, a few games, CB, and even some excel... but never as a phone!

People still call people these days?
    i didnt know this so called curve was a phone, guess i dont need that extra flip cell to carry around anymore!
    05-18-09 11:39 PM
    some people don't allow the full 160 characters?

the only way to exceed 160 is with EMS capable devices, but they're still sent as separate messages, they're just re-configured on the reciepient's end...
    That isn't what I meant. After reading my post I see where you got that.

What I meant is that some devices and carriers allow the user tp exceed the 160 character limit. Others do not.

05-18-09 11:42 PM
    That isn't what I meant. After reading my post I see where you got that.

What I meant is that some devices and carriers allow the user tp exceed the 160 character limit. Others do not.

yeah, to exceed 160 is EMS services. that's what its called. anything over 160 is sent as a separate message, but its done at the network level. the sender and reciever don't know any better. they see the message being written as one big block of text, and the reciever gets the block of text in tact (pending they have an EMS capable handset also). otherwise they get the message broken up into multiple pieces.
    05-18-09 11:45 PM
    So, does this thread have a point?
    05-19-09 12:25 AM
    Yeah this is all good and all but can someone actually find a way to manipulate and take advantage so I can send text msgs longer than 160 on my storm while on the Verizon network? Otherwise who cares

05-19-09 02:54 AM
    Just use 3jam threaded sms!!!

05-19-09 04:34 AM
    or beyond 160
    05-19-09 06:15 AM
    What?????????????
    lol....what that's funny

05-19-09 07:07 AM
40 12