02-11-09 01:19 PM
51 123
tools
    Oh - and they are using .75
    02-10-09 09:39 AM
    Not too long after I got my LG Dare, I started wondering if maybe there was something better. Then by dumb luck I stumbled across a mention of the Storm, and it turns out I was right, there WAS something better than the Dare.

Guess I got lucky, because aside from one little bit of dust under the screen, and maybe 3 total unexpected crashes/reboots since I got it back around Thanksgiving (late Nov for non-Americans), it's worked quite well. Been pretty happy with it too, but I knew full well what I was getting into before I bought it, unlike most of the people who complain after buying it on a whim when they see a TV commercial that makes it look really cool.

It still has some rough edges software wise, and they're clearly still tweaking the manufacturing process, but I have no problem imagining that my earlier prediction that by June this phone will be running great and people will have forgotten all about the initial problems, will come to pass.
    02-10-09 10:00 AM
    the storm comes from the future. and it scares people.
    02-10-09 10:02 AM
    Love my Storm more everytime I touch it. I admit, there was a definite learning curve in the beginning, but I haven't had any of the most common complaints(dust, click issues, battery pulls etc.) My wife got hers on 11/24, and I got mine on `12/08 and neither of us has had any serious issues. I think my wife is still a little frustrated with it though, because she doesn't have the patience to get aquainted with it. But still, she hasn't had any issues that would make her want to return it.
    02-10-09 10:05 AM
    I'm guilty of this but I'm not stupid. Its like sitting on an oil well and not tapping it. Eventuallt you'll hit the sweet spot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 10:48 AM
    Ya, I've thought about it.. But not for more than 5 seconds.. I just can't leave my Storm now. She's my first touch screen anything, and sure she has some rough patches.. but so do I
    02-10-09 10:54 AM
    I think people need to give it more time. This phone is still too new to junk. You should expect problems with a first generation phone like this. The kinks will get worked out and things will get better.

Patience is a virtue!
    02-10-09 10:56 AM
    Whats most frustrating about having the storm in this forum-

Is that No One Is Willing to Accept- Nor Entertain Your Frustration.
    02-10-09 10:59 AM
    Not too long after I got my LG Dare, I started wondering if maybe there was something better. Then by dumb luck I stumbled across a mention of the Storm, and it turns out I was right, there WAS something better than the Dare.

Guess I got lucky, because aside from one little bit of dust under the screen, and maybe 3 total unexpected crashes/reboots since I got it back around Thanksgiving (late Nov for non-Americans), it's worked quite well. Been pretty happy with it too, but I knew full well what I was getting into before I bought it, unlike most of the people who complain after buying it on a whim when they see a TV commercial that makes it look really cool.

It still has some rough edges software wise, and they're clearly still tweaking the manufacturing process, but I have no problem imagining that my earlier prediction that by June this phone will be running great and people will have forgotten all about the initial problems, will come to pass.

I too came from the LG Dare to the Storm. For me, it's been a Love / Hate relationship. I guess even though I knew when I got the Storm that it was a brand new device and would have some issues, I expect a product that I buy to work as it was described.

The main problem I have is more principle than anything else. Verizon is still running ads for the Storm that shows an incredibly fast, accurate and responsive device that would strongly compete against any mobile device on the market. Sadly for us though, that device is still in the making.

What keeps me going is the progress that each succeeding leak brings us...we were in pretty good shape with .99 IMO, and although I haven't tried any of the hybrids out there yet, I am keeping my eyes on the reports.

.99 is a pretty good release (although beta), which suggests to me that the Storm will be in its advertised form shortly.....

Patiently waiting..............................Hold on while I check for another release LOL
    02-10-09 11:17 AM

Haha. So true my friend.

02-10-09 11:21 AM

What part of several people, myself included, say that it has some rough edges still, is not willing to accept/entertain frustration? Of course this goes both ways. There are plenty of people who don't want to hear anything GOOD about the Storm. Fortunately it appears he was banned, but Cereal Killer was such a troll. He'd come along and turn pretty much any thread into some kind of anti-Storm discussion. Any time someone tried to change the subject, or point out something positive, it was suddenly more of exactly what you said... No one wants to hear anything bad about the Storm, blah blah blah, where'd I put my tin foil hat?

If you've got a legitimate gripe, people are generally willing to hear it, but if all you want to do is throw a tantrum and complain like a little brat... Well, imagine why people might get a little tired of that after a time.
    02-10-09 11:42 AM
    The main problem I have is more principle than anything else. Verizon is still running ads for the Storm that shows an incredibly fast, accurate and responsive device that would strongly compete against any mobile device on the market. Sadly for us though, that device is still in the making.
    It probably should have been held back for another year, but the RIM exec who said that we should get used to phones being pushed out long before they're ready, is spot on, and not really saying anything that should be all that new to anyone who's been paying the least bit of attention to the cell phone world.

There's increasing pressure to get devices out faster and faster, and software development just doesn't work that way. At least RIM strives to improve the device after it's been released. Last I checked, the Dare only had the one update, and it really didn't fix/improve all that much. Other phones may have serious issues and NEVER get an update. RIM has been quite diligent about improving the Storm's software. We might all wish that the device shipped with something closer to .99, but it didn't, so of the alternatives left, I think we wound up with the best.
    02-10-09 11:50 AM
    but the RIM exec who said that we should get used to phones being pushed out long before they're ready, is spot on,
    I have to respectfully strongly disagree
    If the Storms release is any indication of RIMS future phones I will cease being a customer.

02-10-09 12:18 PM
    So from what i say..its not only software but hardware problems that frustrates people about the storm...understandable.

Its a great looking phone with many new options. But ive seen better.
    Not to say that i wnt stick with it....for now.

I'll wait and see what RIM comes out with to fix the phone. Then, we'll see how ppl feel if this persists.
    02-10-09 12:28 PM
    I have to respectfully strongly disagree
    If the Storms release is any indication of RIMS future phones I will cease being a customer.
    I'm not saying I like it, or think it's a good thing, I'm just saying that this sort of thing is only going to get worse before it ever gets better.

People keep demanding things Right Now(tm). We are a society with ADD now with fast food, the Internet, TV, cell phones, etc. We don't have the attention span to wait 6-12 months anymore.

Everyone loves to talk about how the phone should have been held back a couple of months, but if they had done that then people would have picked up something like the Omnia, Pre, or some other phone. Honestly, I'd bet about 90% of the people who rushed out to get the phone the first day, and then went on to whine about how it should have been delayed, would have never waited those extra couple months. They would have picked up some other phone and found some place, like HoFo, to whine about how THAT phone should have been held back a few months. Rare is the person like you and I, who have considered opinions as opposed to traditional knee-**** reactions.
    02-10-09 02:45 PM
    I'm not saying I like it, or think it's a good thing, I'm just saying that this sort of thing is only going to get worse before it ever gets better.

People keep demanding things Right Now(tm). We are a society with ADD now with fast food, the Internet, TV, cell phones, etc. We don't have the attention span to wait 6-12 months anymore.

Everyone loves to talk about how the phone should have been held back a couple of months, but if they had done that then people would have picked up something like the Omnia, Pre, or some other phone. Honestly, I'd bet about 90% of the people who rushed out to get the phone the first day, and then went on to whine about how it should have been delayed, would have never waited those extra couple months. They would have picked up some other phone and found some place, like HoFo, to whine about how THAT phone should have been held back a few months. Rare is the person like you and I, who have considered opinions as opposed to traditional knee-**** reactions.
    Ok, i get what you're saying. But put it this way...if you buy a car and it had as many problems as the storm, wouldnt u get upset?!?

Why would ford, nissan or any other company reveal a car if it had problems?!? they wouldnt.

So why did BB...greed id say. They havent even fixed all the issues with the storm and and they care about it selling all of them and moving on to a new phone.
    02-10-09 03:05 PM
    I get the feeling the Storm is a lot like Vista, many people hated it on release and many still do..

I've been using it my desktop and laptop since it was released and at first I disliked it intensely, then I found tips and tricks (like turning off UAC) which made it more bearable and I started to enjoy some of the positives it offered (pretty graphics, great folder navigation.. some awesome system tools).

Because my systems are relatively powerful and I was lucky with driver support I've had a better overall experience than some people so I’ve grown to quite like Vista.

But now, along comes Windows 7 and everyone is raving and calling it the OS that Vista should have been all along and MS is looking keen to put the whole Vista debacle behind them..

Anyone get the feeling that RIM will release a proper touchscreen phone with a fast CPU and solid OS and like Vista or WinME, the Storm will fade away to a bad memory and unfortunate footnote in RIM history.

Anyway, I still have my Storm and I’m now starting to appreciate some of the nice things (great screen, effective touch interface when not typing, relatively fast execution of 3rd-party apps) that I didn’t notice before when I was blinded by rage ;-)
    02-10-09 03:12 PM
    I absolutely LOVE my Storm with no regrets. The OS's are getting better and better...once the app store is released its going to be even better! Once the official OS is released and then app store...I think it'll be near perfect

02-10-09 03:13 PM
    Infant I'm using my Storm NOW! Love it!

02-10-09 03:14 PM
    I love my phone and am patient enough to wait for an OS that makes the phone operate as it should.

02-10-09 03:31 PM
    Ok, i get what you're saying. But put it this way...if you buy a car and it had as many problems as the storm, wouldnt u get upset?!?

Why would ford, nissan or any other company reveal a car if it had problems?!? they wouldnt.

So why did BB...greed id say. They havent even fixed all the issues with the storm and and they care about it selling all of them and moving on to a new phone.
    I'm all for applying lemon laws to consumer electronics, but given the relative low cost of the devices, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Unfortunately, RIM can't really afford to just sit back and take its time with devices like it could before. Apple and Microsoft are making inroads into the enterprise market which is RIM's major money making area. So their best strategy is to start taking the fight to Apple and Microsoft in more of the consumer market. It doesn't really matter if they ever really penetrate the market that deeply, they really only need to keep Apple and Microsoft focused more on defending their current market share than they are on trying to go after RIM's enterprise market. So, we might see more devices like the Storm, which appeal to non-traditional RIM customers, but will be rushed to market with the idea of being fixed later. And to anyone who actually remembers some of my earlier comments about the Storm being more to expand RIM's userbase into the more casual user realm... No, they aren't contradictory.
    02-10-09 04:26 PM
    Verizon and RIM would have been better off shelving the Storm for a later release and going with either the Bold or the 8900 instead. I don't think BB users are in the habit of being early adopters for devices they depend so heavily on. I would say the majority of the people in this and similar forums have no issue with that since we are generally a more "technical" bunch, but the average suit and tie given a BB has no desire to tinker with and flash leaked OS's on a regular basis.

Releasing the Bold or 8900 on VZW would have bought them more time to work on the Storm. Even if it bought them three more months, they would have been able to launch with .99 or better and it would not have made NEAR the bad first impression as it did. Sure, we are all happy with it now, but most suits grabbing theirs even today are on .75. Like the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

The Storm missed an opportunity to make a good first impression and probably soured most users to it for good. If you ever worked in an IT support capacity, you know how much a bad piece of hardware or software can not only sour an end user but also turn you against ever using it again since you are the one that had to deal with the headaches and constant complaints from your end users.

However, I think the Storm still has the chance to build a good user base. Most people who want one are having to wait for renewals anyway and by the time many of those are ready for an upgrade, the Storm may be in better shape. Also, by the time it's released as a GSM version, it should be much more refined and will be picked up by a lot of that market as well. A multitude of new, and hopefully satisfied, GSM customers would help ensure that the developer community continues to produce Storm specific apps and not just focus on the Bold, 8900 and future devices.
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 02-11-09 at 10:09 AM.
    02-10-09 04:52 PM
    I pretty much agree with what Homer said...
    Right now I am watching Sprint.com for the Pre ... and while I'd love to have one soon, I am whispering to myself... PLEASE DON'T PUSH THE RELEASE DATE UP!

RIM gambled big on releasing the Storm when it did... I think they lost more people than they COULD have if it had been a more finished product, but as the months roll by I start to see that... as flawed as it is... grabbing that base probably matters MORE than snything else they could have done short of making it "perfect"

It wasn't a BIG gamble actually, considering that their competition consists of two phones. 1. The iPhone: a pretty phone that cant MMS or COPY PASTE and has sketchy push... and 2: The Pre.. which if the past of PALM phones is any indication of the future... might be more hype than happiness.

I guess I'm down to this.. MEH. lol.

02-10-09 05:44 PM
    Thoughs from a BB newb:

I got the Storm, moving up from the Dare, and for me it's been a fantastic intro to the BB world. My bro got a Curve and I can't wait to play with it. BB's fascinate me now. They've taken someone who really didn't see then need for them to someone who won't be without it at all.

The Storm did exactly what, I think, was one of the goals of the product. Take someone who doesn't use a BB, make it flashy and interesting, get em hooked, and hopefully they'll stay with BB. It may not be quite up to par with the other devices, but that's ok. That just piques interest in the more fully developed products.

In short then it's an intro device. It got me hooked in about 2 days. My next phone, in 2 years, will be another BB, and will no doubt have more/better features. I'll watch for updates to the storm and keep everything current, because really that's not difficult. But they got me, and have a customer for a long time.
    02-11-09 12:20 PM
    Still on my first November built Storm!! The first OS pi**ed me off built never thought about sending it back.
    That is why they call this the "Bleeding Edge"!! If you want the latest and greatest... there is going to be growing pains.
    I love this Storm and its abilities.
    02-11-09 01:18 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD