My 2nd replacement. Is it necessary? Maybe. Maybe not. I wish I suck with my 11/21 Made in Canada Storm. It was just the best, but I stupidly complained about the lower part of the screen while @ the store once and the manager took my old phone and gave me a brand new one. Anyways, my replacement was just delivered from Texas and it's the phone without the battery or cover. Box says Certified Like New. It isn't scratched up like another forum user's but I will look at it in detail tonight.

Somebody posted a theory whereby CLN devices are checked individually by a real person whereas brand new devices pass machine-based quality control. Thus, a CLN device might be better as I soon might find out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 03:07 PM
    Hate to say this but despite what vzw has said refurbs have been out. I got one out of 6 techs to finally admit it about two weeks ago.
    01-13-09 03:11 PM
    Did it come in a white box? Pics!?
    01-13-09 03:18 PM
    ...when a few people are returning so many devices.

These devices are NOT getting dis-assembled or thrown out. They are inspected and put back into circulation. Part of business I guess. There must be quite a few out there since there were people returning them to get a fourth or fifth device, looking for some self satisfaction or perfection. I think that there must have been some that needed to be returned due to faulty build, that is a fact of manufacturing, but there were some getting replacement after replacement, because it was easy.

Any how, we will see more and more replacement devices being refurbished I am sure. Don't dismiss the device because it was "refurbished" it may end up being the best one of the five that each of us gets. Ha Ha...
    01-13-09 03:19 PM
    If it came down to it, I'll take a refurb over new. One of my Storms is made in Canada and has a stuck pixel on the left. My other Storm froM Mexico has about 3 at the top. Not noticeable at all unless its on a black screen and you're looking for it.
    01-13-09 03:23 PM
    I called Verizon last week because a 'dead spot' had started to appear on my previously perfect release-day Storm. They said they'd ship me a replacement and it'd be arriving today (Tuesday 13th January).

This morning, every button on my phone failed completely... nothing would register a click. Screen, sleep/mute, side programmable buttons or even the four standard buttons at the bottom of the screen.

My wife told me that FedEx delivered the replacement and it's a refurb; it has the sticker mentioned above.

If RIM are putting this phone back in circulation then as far as I'm concerned it should operate as well as my previous one did (at least to the point that the buttons went pear shaped). If it doesn't, I'll complain about it but until such time, I consider this a "new" phone, despite the sticker stating that someone else's grubby paws have been on it.

If it doesn't work, I'll exercise my rights as a customer and request a replacement. I hope it works though... this 1 day without my storm has sucked royally
    01-13-09 03:28 PM
    I agree. I have yet to look at the phone myself. My partner told me what it looked like.

01-13-09 04:14 PM
    Well it is bound to happen.

01-13-09 04:21 PM
    Of course they're giving out refurbs. What do you think they do with all those returns? They certainly don't throw them in the trash.

01-13-09 05:16 PM
    Best way to guarantee not to get a referb is to go to the Verizon store, I just got my 1st and last storm right from the shelf.
    01-13-09 05:19 PM
    Best way to guarantee not to get a referb is to go to the Verizon store, I just got my 1st and last storm right from the shelf.

My first Storm was great, then completely died (no power at all, screen dead). I got a replacement right at the Store, same day (1-6-09). The replacement was even older than my first phone, it was still running .65 and has an older build date. The click was terrible and the screen was less bright and had a blue tint. I'm getting a 3rd phone tomorrow, we'll see what it turns out to be. Hopefully it will be as good as my 1st phone, minus the spontaneous death.
    01-13-09 05:30 PM
    My first Storm was great, then completely died (no power at all, screen dead). I got a replacement right at the Store, same day (1-6-09). The replacement was even older than my first phone, it was still running .65 and has an older build date. The click was terrible and the screen was less bright and had a blue tint. I'm getting a 3rd phone tomorrow, we'll see what it turns out to be. Hopefully it will be as good as my 1st phone, minus the spontaneous death.
    Well that sucks I love my new storm from the store, I am pretty sure this is the one.
    01-13-09 05:34 PM
    with how craptastic the QC is on new phones, i wonder if refurb would be actually an improvement over new.
    01-13-09 05:37 PM
    As a tech for VZW I can tell you about this process in depth. The OP is correct about the process as far as testing goes. For example 10 out of a pile of 100 hundred brand new units are tested and if those 10 devices pass the whole pile passes. CLN (certifed like new) devices are individually tested and if anything needs to be fixed to make them look like or better than new is replaced. The only way you will get a brand new replacement device by going into a store is if the unit is within 30 days of the purchase date.
    01-13-09 05:46 PM
    As long as it works perfectly, who cares if its refurbished or not?
    01-13-09 06:21 PM
    Like wow... I said that there refurbs in white boxes 2 weeks ago...

Did they include the test sheets?

01-13-09 06:33 PM
    The refurbished phone is a disappointment. The keyboard is about the same, not as good as my Storm #1 (11/21), but at least the screen doesn't suffer from the light ray phenomenon at the bottom (see picture). It's also made in Mexico and it didn't come with any scratches. I actually should post these pics as a separate thread. The replacement phone seems like it might have some dust, but I'm not entirely sure until I clean it myself with a microfiber cloth. I guess I could put up with the light ray issue for now in case I decide to return the replacement. Not sure what to do.
    Last edited by mudpud; 01-13-09 at 08:25 PM.
    01-13-09 07:36 PM
    The refurbished phone is a disappointment. The keyboard is about the same, not as good as my Storm #1 (11/21), but at least the screen doesn't suffer from the light ray phenomenon at the bottom (see picture). It's also made in Mexico and it didn't come with any scratches. I actually should post these pics as a separate thread. The replacement phone seems like it might have some dust, but I'm not entirely sure until I clean it myself with a microfiber cloth. I guess I could put up with the light ray issue for now in case I decide to return the replacement. Not sure what to do.
    I think all the phones that I had whether it be new or replacements had that effect. Probably not as noticeable but it had it. I'm looking at my CANADA and MEXICO Storms and both have it. Both are brand new out of the box.
    01-13-09 07:53 PM
    I think all the phones that I had whether it be new or replacements had that effect. Probably not as noticeable but it had it. I'm looking at my CANADA and MEXICO Storms and both have it. Both are brand new out of the box.
    My original Storm (Canada, 11/21) didn't have it...I'm 100% positive.
    01-13-09 08:00 PM
    The first replacement they tried to send me was a refurb, I rejected it for a brand new unit, and that is what they sent... a brand new unit...
    01-13-09 08:20 PM
    As long as it works perfectly, who cares if its refurbished or not?
    Totally agree! If your brand new one didn't work why not get a refurb if it works better?
    01-13-09 08:43 PM
    I just installed .86 on the refurbished unit and axtivated it. The clicking is definitely stiffer all around but I can't say that this actually helps typing more easily. I refuse to stick a card in the back because I wanna try the unaltered phone first. On #2 typing was quite difficult without a card under the back cover. If anything, it appears that the refurbished unit MIGHT allow for slightly more precise typing simply because I must type more slowly.

01-13-09 08:56 PM
    I hope mine is not refurbished.
    01-13-09 08:58 PM
    with regular phones i know they replaced the screen or screen shield ALOT on refurbs because they were usually always scratched at least a little. but being that the storm has such an expensive capactive touch overlay screen, do you think they will be replacing those for refurbs or is it possible to get refurbs with minor scratches on the screen? cause i would not stand for that and would disagree it was "like new"
    01-13-09 09:02 PM
    In case there was any doubt a friend of mine works at RIM. He took a pic (using his Bold) of the refurbs waiting to be shipped. They are definitely here........

01-13-09 09:31 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD