Just wanted to say a quick hello. I'm new here and am reaching out for help already (I know).

I just purchased my Blackberry Storm today, and well it's freaking awesome. I only have one problem. I am coming from the Alltel network, which is 100% rock solid in my area. The town I live in has a Verizon tower (1x, not even EVDO). I am having a problem with the phone dropping calls when it's switching from Verizon to Alltel. Is there anyway to force the Storm to stay on Alltel towers 100% of the time?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and reply if you have an answer. I look forward to many years of happiness with my Blackberry and my time on the Crackberry forums

*Edit* I've been reading about SID's. If I change my SID to the local Alltel SID will this make any difference?
    Last edited by bencurry; 03-20-09 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Update
    03-20-09 07:44 PM
    Just throwing this out, buy updating your Pros might help. *228 send.

You may also want to look at options>mobile network network selection mode.

Again, I'm not sure, just throwing out some things tp try.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 10:23 PM
    Just throwing this out, buy updating your PRLs might help. *228 send.

You may also want to look at options>mobile network >network selection mode.

Again, I'm not sure, just throwing out some things to try.

Good luck.

03-20-09 10:25 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

I've already did a PRL update, and checked the mobile network options. Everything is set right. I just wish there was a way to force it to "Roam Only".

If anyone has ideas feel free to shout them out at any time. Thanks again!
    03-21-09 05:27 AM
    I would also like to know if this is possible. I love my Storm. After taking my 1st one back, I have a great, stable phone!! Still running OS .75 because I have not had a problem yet. No random reboots, no freezing, no problems!! I don't always get the strongest VZW signal at my house but USCC is very good at home. If there was a way to "force" the Storm into Extended (USCC) Network while I was at home, my battery life would greatly improve.
    03-21-09 08:05 AM
    I want to do this too... When my storm picks up the local Alltel tower I get full EVx bars. On Verizon tower I am lucky to get EVx2 and it seems to drop that every time I am using my phone for internet or phone.
    03-21-09 09:15 AM
    Bump ^^^^^y
    04-06-09 09:19 PM
    Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? The town where my wife is from there is very little Verizon coverage, but there is Alltel. I would love to be able to force my phone to use Alltel towers when I'm there. I used to be able to do it quite easily with my old dumb phone by using dual SID's. Is there a way to do this on the Storm?
    05-27-09 12:22 AM
    You can change the SID by going into ##000000 Send, like you do on any CDMA device from VZW. (What you do from that point is your own responsibility.)
    05-27-09 01:10 AM
    I to would be interested in this fix. I am a police officer and our county has poor Verizon coverage, but excellent Alltel coverage. I am constantly getting requests to phone dispatch, but am unable to do so.

Since Verizon bought Alltel, shouldn't our phones automatiaclly use Alltel towers?
    05-27-09 08:35 AM
    @jsarasien I've learned a lot since I made this post. From everything I've read there is no way to do it. Verizon is currently working on converting all of the Alltel towers that it intends to keep over to Verizon. As far as forcing the phone to roam to extended network there is no fix. Sorrys
    05-27-09 08:38 AM
    I was going to quote one of the prior posts, but then so many ppl had the same question... so I will just throw my 2 cents out in random. For those of you that were/are on the Alltel network, it won't be much longer until Verizon should have all of the towers from both networks working together seamlessly... There are legal reasons (stupid as they may be) that we can't just use ALL of them all the time, but that fix shouldn't be far away.

As for setting the phone to prefer those towers from the Alltel groupings... I am sad to report, I don't believe there is a way. Your phone should know the difference and find the strongest signal possible, but in some cases... the one it finds is not always the best one. The *228, option 2 route will help, but not much. No matter where you r located now, you should get the same national PRL listing loaded into your phone. Basically put... no help there.

You could always move... lol, we all love our Blackberries that much right?! (couldn't resist)
    05-27-09 11:47 PM
    I to would be interested in this fix. I am a police officer and our county has poor Verizon coverage, but excellent Alltel coverage. I am constantly getting requests to phone dispatch, but am unable to do so.

Since Verizon bought Alltel, shouldn't our phones automatiaclly use Alltel towers?
    Ok, this might be off topic, but I have to ask. Why the frack does dispatch radio you and asks you to call them to tell you something? Why the track can you not use your radio? That's what it's there for. I'm sorry! But it seems as of the last few years, all I see cops do is yap on the cell phone while driving. Do you know how such you guys are probably costing tax payers in minutes charges from the carriers? And don't give me ant of that business talk either, because most of the time the conversations sound and look like friend chats more then cop business.

Sorry if this offends you, but I have a problem with wasted resources, regardless of what industry or job role you're in. You just so happened to hit a subject matter that I noticed again today while in traffic. I just think you should be all business when you're on duty and in the uniform. You're there to serve, not have fun and get on a power trip when something goes down. You guys should be more like impartial robots. Enforce the laws, not bend them yourselves because you can and pretend you're also a judge on the streets as well. I respect professional officers, I don't respect the d-bags that only became cops to power trip. That's bad business for your profession in my book.

05-28-09 12:04 AM
    wow and I thought the sticker for my car saying CHumPs was a target.
    =)
    05-28-09 12:09 AM
    If anything, I've seen more women cops that are all business and I like that. It shows responsibility and accountability on their part. Seems guys are there just to f around.

05-28-09 12:18 AM
    If anything, I've seen more women cops that are all business and I like that. It shows responsibility and accountability on their part. Seems guys are there just to f around.

05-28-09 12:19 AM
    I am only going to respond to the reason why I must phone dispatch. In our county it seems that everyone has a scanner. For this reason I must phone dispatch when sensitive information needs to be given, or if a citizen wants a callback from me. Also in many parts of our county, you cannot get out on the radio, but sometimes have a cell signal.

I try to use my radio as much as possible, as the county does not pay for my cell phone, but its just much easier to just pick up the phone.
    05-28-09 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD